Old 05-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Keith Clark

Default Replacing CD Drive with DVD drive

I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
much luck with it.

It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
not auto install it or mount it.

I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
drive).

I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.

I'm not sure where to go from here.

Keith

Old 05-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 12:10, Keith Clark wrote:
> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
> much luck with it.
>
> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
> not auto install it or mount it.
>
> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
> drive).
>
> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here.

There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.

The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
removing the cover from the box....)

In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).

Re fstab: you will not find an entry there for the CDROM or DVDRW - when
you insert an CD/DVD an entry will appear in mtab showing that the drive
was mounted.

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 08:10 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
> much luck with it.
>
> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
> not auto install it or mount it.
>
> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
> drive).
>
> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>
> Keith

Check your BIOS and see if the drives show up there with the hard
drives. I have a CD/DVD drive on my computer and it works fine!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Basil Chupin

On 12/05/10 22:03, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 08:10 PM, Keith Clark wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
>> much luck with it.
>>
>> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
>> not auto install it or mount it.
>>
>> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
>> drive).
>>
>> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>>
>> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>>
>> Keith
>>

> Check your BIOS and see if the drives show up there with the hard
> drives. I have a CD/DVD drive on my computer and it works fine!

Is that right, Karl? You have a CD/DVD and it works, eh? Well I have a
CDROM *and* a DVD burner and they also work and on *Lucid 10.04* would
you believe!

Gosh, isn't life grand?

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Keith Clark

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 15:39 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/05/10 12:10, Keith Clark wrote:
> > I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
> > much luck with it.
> >
> > It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
> > not auto install it or mount it.
> >
> > I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
> > drive).
> >
> > I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
> >
> > I'm not sure where to go from here.
> >

> There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
> not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.
>
> The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
> Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
> to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
> removing the cover from the box....)

Yes, jumpers match. The CDROM that is being replaced was on Cable
Select. I've set the DVD drive to match.

> In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
> point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
> the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).

In /dev all I have is sr0

Here is my /etc/mtab with a disc in the drive:

/dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev
0 0
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/keithclark/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
rw,nosuid,nodev,user=keithclark 0 0

I'm not sure what to try next.

Keith

Old 05-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Basil Chupin

On 13/05/10 07:10, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 15:39 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 12/05/10 12:10, Keith Clark wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to replace a CD drive with a DVD drive but I'm not having
>>> much luck with it.
>>>
>>> It (Ubuntu 10.04) does not seem to see the drive, or at least it does
>>> not auto install it or mount it.
>>>
>>> I see no entries in my fstab regarding the drive (or even the old CD
>>> drive).
>>>
>>> I do have a /cdrom directory, and a /media/cdrom directory.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure where to go from here.
>>>

>> There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
>> not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.
>>
>> The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
>> Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
>> to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
>> removing the cover from the box....)
>>

> Yes, jumpers match. The CDROM that is being replaced was on Cable
> Select. I've set the DVD drive to match.
>

>> In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
>> point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
>> the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).
>>

> In /dev all I have is sr0
>
> Here is my /etc/mtab with a disc in the drive:
>
> /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
> none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
> none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
> none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
> none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev
> 0 0
> gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/keithclark/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> rw,nosuid,nodev,user=keithclark 0 0
>
> I'm not sure what to try next.

OK, baby steps to start with... :-) .

Does the unit have power - is the power connector inserted properly?
When booting does the power light on the unit come on momentarily?

(When you boot, go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS is recognising the
unit.)

If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
SATA)?

From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
the CD/DVD on a separate cable?

Oh, forgot the obvious question: are we dealing here with a desktop or a
laptop computer?

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Keith Clark

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:37 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/05/10 07:10, Keith Clark wrote:

> >> There really is no difference between a CDROM and a DVD reader, at least
> >> not nowadays. The CD will read DVDs and vice-versa.
> >>
> >> The unit, just like an HD, has jumpers to configure it as either a
> >> Master or Slave or for Cable Select. How is yours configured? Compare it
> >> to the setting on the CDROM which you are replacing (I know, it means
> >> removing the cover from the box....)
> >>

> > Yes, jumpers match. The CDROM that is being replaced was on Cable
> > Select. I've set the DVD drive to match.
> >

> >> In /dev you should find some entries as symlinks (@cdrom, eg) which will
> >> point at sr0 or sr1. The first, sr0, will be the CROM and sr1 will be
> >> the DVD burner (assuming that you do have a burner installed).
> >>

> > In /dev all I have is sr0
> >
> > Here is my /etc/mtab with a disc in the drive:
> >
> > /dev/sda1 / ext3 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 0
> > proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> > none /sys sysfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> > none /sys/fs/fuse/connections fusectl rw 0 0
> > none /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw 0 0
> > none /sys/kernel/security securityfs rw 0 0
> > none /dev devtmpfs rw,mode=0755 0 0
> > none /dev/pts devpts rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=0620 0 0
> > none /dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> > none /var/run tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> > none /var/lock tmpfs rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
> > none /lib/init/rw tmpfs rw,nosuid,mode=0755 0 0
> > binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev
> > 0 0
> > gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/keithclark/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
> > rw,nosuid,nodev,user=keithclark 0 0
> >
> > I'm not sure what to try next.
> >

> OK, baby steps to start with... :-) .
>
> Does the unit have power - is the power connector inserted properly?
> When booting does the power light on the unit come on momentarily?

Yes

> (When you boot, go into the BIOS and see if the BIOS is recognising the
> unit.)

BIOS sees it just fine.

> If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
> cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
> SATA)?
>
> From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
> is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
> motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
> select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
> the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
> the CD/DVD on a separate cable?

DVD drive is master and HD is slave on the same cable.

> Oh, forgot the obvious question: are we dealing here with a desktop or a
> laptop computer?

Desktop

Old 05-13-2010, 01:56 AM
Basil Chupin

On 13/05/10 11:41, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:37 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:

[pruned]

> If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
>> cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
>> SATA)?

You haven't answered this question :-) .

If the HD is "old" and accepts the 40-wire doesn't mean that the new DVD
will accept and work OK with it.

>> From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
>> is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
>> motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
>> select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
>> the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
>> the CD/DVD on a separate cable?
>>

> DVD drive is master and HD is slave on the same cable.

No - switch these around. The HD should "control" the CD/DVD not the
other way 'round. There is a reason for calling them Master and Slave
:-) . (The DMA of the HD is a lot faster than the CD/DVD and you want
the faster unit to be Master.)

But, hold on, you are now saying that they are Master and Slave whereas
before you were saying that the DVD was configured for Cable Select.

If BOTH HD and DVD are configured as Cable Select, then the one which is
connected at the END of the cable is the Master and the one connected to
the middle of the cable is the Slave.

BC

--
The best defence against logic is ignorance.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:19 AM
Keith Clark

> > If it is a new unit then it may need to be connected with an 80-wire
> >> cable - is the cable the old 40-wire type or the 80-wire type (or is it
> >> SATA)?
> >>

> You haven't answered this question :-) .
>
> If the HD is "old" and accepts the 40-wire doesn't mean that the new DVD
> will accept and work OK with it.

40 Pin wire

> >> From the above I gather that you only have the one HD and that the ROM
> >> is therefore the slave to it on the same cable (which plugs into the
> >> motherboard). Is the HD configured as Cable select or Master? (Cable
> >> select means the unit becomes either Master or Slave depending where on
> >> the cable the unit is connected.) *OR* is the HD on its own cable and
> >> the CD/DVD on a separate cable?
> >>

> > DVD drive is master and HD is slave on the same cable.
> >

> No - switch these around. The HD should "control" the CD/DVD not the
> other way 'round. There is a reason for calling them Master and Slave
> :-) . (The DMA of the HD is a lot faster than the CD/DVD and you want
> the faster unit to be Master.)

Ok, I have switched it now. DVD is still CS on its own cable as master.
HD is Master on its own cable as master.

Still it does not see the DVD

Keith

Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Karl Larsen

On 05/12/2010 07:56 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/05/10 11:41, Keith Clark wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 11:37 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>

> [pruned]
>

>> DVD drive is master and HD is slave on the same cable.
>>

> No - switch these around. The HD should "control" the CD/DVD not the
> other way 'round. There is a reason for calling them Master and Slave
> :-) . (The DMA of the HD is a lot faster than the CD/DVD and you want
> the faster unit to be Master.)
>
> But, hold on, you are now saying that they are Master and Slave whereas
> before you were saying that the DVD was configured for Cable Select.
>
> If BOTH HD and DVD are configured as Cable Select, then the one which is
> connected at the END of the cable is the Master and the one connected to
> the middle of the cable is the Slave.
>
> BC

All you say BC is correct. But I asked several days ago to look
and report what BIOS has as a hard drive and a DVD/CD drive.

Please please look and tell us what BIOS says you have. Important :-)

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User