Old 05-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Karl Larsen

Default 10.04 failures

This morning after some updates I discovered 10.04 would let me use
the USB ports, use my memory stick device and look at movies.

Now I have 3 fully updated 10.04 partitions and all three will not
do any of the three. Most serious is the USB port. I can no longer do
anything with them. I can't even back up this computer since my backup
system uses the USB port!

This makes 10.04 a very poor version.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-12-2010, 04:01 AM
NoOp

On 05/11/2010 05:26 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> This morning after some updates I discovered 10.04 would let me use
> the USB ports, use my memory stick device and look at movies.
>
> Now I have 3 fully updated 10.04 partitions and all three will not
> do any of the three. Most serious is the USB port. I can no longer do
> anything with them. I can't even back up this computer since my backup
> system uses the USB port!
>
> This makes 10.04 a very poor version.
>
> 73 Karl

Give it up Karl. Start a blog. Do something, but *please* stop polluting
this list with your insistent ramblings about your issues with your
system. If you have a _valid_ problem post with the details like
everyone else.

I'd recommend that you file a bug report but most of your past "reports"
tend to pollute launchpad as well.

Look at what you've written in just the past few days... one moment you
praise 10.04, the next you blame 10.04. The same as you have done for
just about every other Ubuntu version since joining this list. I hate to
say it & I'm pretty tolerant about most things, but if you keep this up
I'd vote to send you back to the moderators bin.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 10:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 05:26 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> This morning after some updates I discovered 10.04 would let me use
>> the USB ports, use my memory stick device and look at movies.
>>
>> Now I have 3 fully updated 10.04 partitions and all three will not
>> do any of the three. Most serious is the USB port. I can no longer do
>> anything with them. I can't even back up this computer since my backup
>> system uses the USB port!
>>
>> This makes 10.04 a very poor version.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> Give it up Karl. Start a blog. Do something, but *please* stop polluting
> this list with your insistent ramblings about your issues with your
> system. If you have a _valid_ problem post with the details like
> everyone else.
>
> I'd recommend that you file a bug report but most of your past "reports"
> tend to pollute launchpad as well.
>
> Look at what you've written in just the past few days... one moment you
> praise 10.04, the next you blame 10.04. The same as you have done for
> just about every other Ubuntu version since joining this list. I hate to
> say it& I'm pretty tolerant about most things, but if you keep this up
> I'd vote to send you back to the moderators bin.

What is hard for you to understand? I put my backup hard drive
with a USB port into my 10.04 system and look for it at /media. There is
zero, nothing there. Should I file a bug on this? Perhaps but I boot
into 8.04 and it works fine so nothing wrong with my hardware.

Does this meet your requirement?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-12-2010, 01:54 PM
Ian Coetzee

On 2010/05/12 02:27 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
> On 05/11/2010 10:01 PM, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 05/11/2010 05:26 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> This morning after some updates I discovered 10.04 would let me use
>>> the USB ports, use my memory stick device and look at movies.
>>>
>>> Now I have 3 fully updated 10.04 partitions and all three will not
>>> do any of the three. Most serious is the USB port. I can no longer do
>>> anything with them. I can't even back up this computer since my backup
>>> system uses the USB port!
>>>
>>> This makes 10.04 a very poor version.
>>>
>>> 73 Karl
>>>

>> Give it up Karl. Start a blog. Do something, but *please* stop polluting
>> this list with your insistent ramblings about your issues with your
>> system. If you have a _valid_ problem post with the details like
>> everyone else.
>>
>> I'd recommend that you file a bug report but most of your past "reports"
>> tend to pollute launchpad as well.
>>
>> Look at what you've written in just the past few days... one moment you
>> praise 10.04, the next you blame 10.04. The same as you have done for
>> just about every other Ubuntu version since joining this list. I hate to
>> say it& I'm pretty tolerant about most things, but if you keep this up
>> I'd vote to send you back to the moderators bin.

Noop, your flogging a dead horse here.

> What is hard for you to understand? I put my backup hard drive
> with a USB port into my 10.04 system and look for it at /media. There is
> zero, nothing there. Should I file a bug on this? Perhaps but I boot
> into 8.04 and it works fine so nothing wrong with my hardware.
>
> Does this meet your requirement?

Karl, I can still use my USB ports and my 10.04 is fully updated!. Have
you tried creating a new user and testing it there?

Regards
Ian

Old 05-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
> On 2010/05/12 02:27 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:

>>> Give it up Karl. Start a blog. Do something, but *please* stop polluting
>>> this list with your insistent ramblings about your issues with your
>>> system. If you have a _valid_ problem post with the details like
>>> everyone else.
>>>
>>> I'd recommend that you file a bug report but most of your past "reports"
>>> tend to pollute launchpad as well.
>>>
>>> Look at what you've written in just the past few days... one moment you
>>> praise 10.04, the next you blame 10.04. The same as you have done for
>>> just about every other Ubuntu version since joining this list. I hate to
>>> say it& * I'm pretty tolerant about most things, but if you keep this up
>>> I'd vote to send you back to the moderators bin.
>>>
> Noop, your flogging a dead horse here.
>>>

>> * * * * * What is hard for you to understand? I put my backup hard drive
>> with a USB port into my 10.04 system and look for it at /media. There is
>> zero, nothing there. Should I file a bug on this? Perhaps but I boot
>> into 8.04 and it works fine so nothing wrong with my hardware.
>>
>> Does this meet your requirement?
>>
> Karl, I can still use my USB ports and my 10.04 is fully updated!. Have
> you tried creating a new user and testing it there?

Boot from a 10.04 Live CD. If USB works there, then the mess that you
have created by using half-a-dozen or so installs with a shared home
directory and who knows what strange "modifications" is responsible
for your USB problem(s).

You should wipe your HD and install just one release and use it as a
day-to-day OS and then either install and make a mess of things on
another box or within Virtual Box.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Liam Proven

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:

>> Noop, your flogging a dead horse here.
>>>>

>>> * * * * * What is hard for you to understand? I put my backup hard drive
>>> with a USB port into my 10.04 system and look for it at /media. There is
>>> zero, nothing there. Should I file a bug on this? Perhaps but I boot
>>> into 8.04 and it works fine so nothing wrong with my hardware.
>>>
>>> Does this meet your requirement?
>>>
>> Karl, I can still use my USB ports and my 10.04 is fully updated!. Have
>> you tried creating a new user and testing it there?
>
> Boot from a 10.04 Live CD. If USB works there, then the mess that you
> have created by using half-a-dozen or so installs with a shared home
> directory and who knows what strange "modifications" is responsible
> for your USB problem(s).
>
> You should wipe your HD and install just one release and use it as a
> day-to-day OS and then either install and make a mess of things on
> another box or within Virtual Box.

Strongly agree.

Sharing a home filesystem between distros is fine, but /not/ if they
share core components like different versions of GNOME. If you want to
do that, use a different account for each distro. My /home FS has both
"lproven" and "liam" accounts for Ubuntu and Mint and it's absolutely
fine, no problems at all. I've done this in the past sharing one /home
and one swap partition between Ubuntu, Suse, Xandros, Red Hat,
Mandriva and more - no problems. I just had lots of user accounts. :¬)

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508