Old 05-11-2010, 11:42 PM
terry

Default /home/karl

On 05/11/2010 04:31 PM, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> You might be able to reduce your home directory's size with a simple command:
>
> $ sudo rm -R *

--------> what does ' * ' mean .... yes? i didn't see it in man rm. -r
,-R ,---recursive , all mean the same?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Rei Shinozuka

On 05/11/2010 07:42 PM, terry wrote:

>> $ sudo rm -R *
>>

> --------> what does ' * ' mean .... yes? i didn't see it in man rm. -r
> ,-R ,---recursive , all mean the same?

The * is UNIX shell file glob pattern, and not part of the "rm" command
at all. rm will only see a list of files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glob_(programming)

The shell expands the glob pattern into some number of filenames
depending on which files match the pattern relative to your working
directory.

"echo *" will echo the files which match the glob pattern.

-rei