Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Mike A

Default Strange LAN Behavior

Greetings

I have a LAN with 2 linux, 2 Windows, a printer , and a NAS
adapter/disk. The NAS is essentially a windows/samba share. My machine
also has a USB drive that I share via Samba. The problem is that
sometimes my machine doesn't show up and therefore neither does the the
USB drive. When I notice that this has happened, I reboot my linux box
and all is well again.

Any ideas of what might be going on?

Also a curiosity, when I bring up Network Servers on my machine(linux),
I see all the nodes and a Windows Network folder containing a Workgroup
folder. If I open the Wrokgroup folder the nodes appear again. What the
significance of appearing twice. Window machines only show them once.

Mike

Old 05-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Brian McKee

I have a LAN with 2 linux, 2 Windows, a printer , and a NAS
adapter/disk. *The NAS is essentially a windows/samba share. *My machine
also has a USB drive that I share via Samba. The problem is that
sometimes my machine doesn't show up and therefore neither does the the
USB drive. *When I notice that this has happened, I reboot my linux box
and all is well again.

There's no reason to reboot. I'm not sure why your linux computer doesn't show up - is it sleeping? Or is that USB drive going to sleep and thus disappearing? Looking at the logs in /var may give a clue. Samba works on broadcasting shares, so if your machine sleeps it may be a while before the share is broadcast again. The next time you see that, try alt-f2 and type 'gksu service smb restart' That's a lot less disruptive....

Also a curiosity, when I bring up Network Servers on my machine(linux),
I see all the nodes and a Windows Network folder containing a Workgroup
folder. If I open the Wrokgroup folder the nodes appear again. *What the
significance of appearing twice. *Window machines only show them once.

Windows only shows you shares that are in the workgroup your computer is assigned to.
Ubuntu will show those shares at the root level regardless of the workgroup. It also shows the workgroup and the shares in it. In other words, it will show more than one workgroup where Windows won't. It's showing you the same shares twice.
--
Hey, it's your computer.... isn't it?

Old 05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
Mike A

On 05/11/2010 05:30 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM, Mike A <mlnx@mho.com> wrote:
>> I have a LAN with 2 linux, 2 Windows, a printer , and a NAS
>> adapter/disk. The NAS is essentially a windows/samba share. My machine
>> also has a USB drive that I share via Samba. The problem is that
>> sometimes my machine doesn't show up and therefore neither does the the
>> USB drive. When I notice that this has happened, I reboot my linux box
>> and all is well again.
>
> There's no reason to reboot. I'm not sure why your linux computer
> doesn't show up - is it sleeping? Or is that USB drive going to sleep
> and thus disappearing? Looking at the logs in /var may give a clue.
> Samba works on broadcasting shares, so if your machine sleeps it may
> be a while before the share is broadcast again. The next time you see
> that, try alt-f2 and type 'gksu service smb restart' That's a lot
> less disruptive....
>
>> Also a curiosity, when I bring up Network Servers on my machine(linux),
>> I see all the nodes and a Windows Network folder containing a Workgroup
>> folder. If I open the Wrokgroup folder the nodes appear again. What the
>> significance of appearing twice. Window machines only show them once.
>
> Windows only shows you shares that are in the workgroup your computer
> is assigned to.
> Ubuntu will show those shares at the root level regardless of the
> workgroup. It also shows the workgroup and the shares in it. In
> other words, it will show more than one workgroup where Windows
> won't. It's showing you the same shares twice.

Brian, thanks for you help. I'll keep an I on it and try smb restart.

Mike