Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Karl Larsen

Default /home/karl/

In my quest to stop using a common partition for /home/karl/ I
tried to put all of /karl/ in the same partition as the one 10.04 has
failed. I tried $du -h on /home/karl/ and get 33 GB :-P

This larger than the entire partition for 10.04 system. I think I
need to take /home/karl/Desktop out first and then see if it will work.
This IS harder than I thought.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 11 May 2010 22:27, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * In my quest to stop using a common partition for /home/karl/ I
> tried to put all of /karl/ in the same partition as the one 10.04 has
> failed. I tried $du -h on /home/karl/ and get 33 GB :-P
>
> * * This larger than the entire partition for 10.04 system. I think I
> need to take /home/karl/Desktop out first and then see if it will work.
> This IS harder than I thought.

You might be able to reduce your home directory's size with a simple command:
$ sudo rm -R *

NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS!!!
I mention it to illustrate the danger of simply blindly running
commands on your computer. A recent thread had a similarly dangerous
"solution" to a similarly simple problem.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * In my quest to stop using a common partition for /home/karl/ I
> tried to put all of /karl/ in the same partition as the one 10.04 has
> failed. I tried $du -h on /home/karl/ and get 33 GB :-P
>
> * * This larger than the entire partition for 10.04 system. I think I
> need to take /home/karl/Desktop out first and then see if it will work.
> This IS harder than I thought.

That isn't what was said. The advice was to just mount the partition
you made for your /home/karl to /home/karl/data That way, you just use
each ubuntu install's home directory and your special Karl is mounted
inside each install's /home/Karl directory as /home/Karl/data

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 01:31 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:27 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In my quest to stop using a common partition for /home/karl/ I
>> tried to put all of /karl/ in the same partition as the one 10.04 has
>> failed. I tried $du -h on /home/karl/ and get 33 GB :-P
>>
>> This larger than the entire partition for 10.04 system. I think I
>> need to take /home/karl/Desktop out first and then see if it will work.
>> This IS harder than I thought.
>>

> That isn't what was said. The advice was to just mount the partition
> you made for your /home/karl to /home/karl/data That way, you just use
> each ubuntu install's home directory and your special Karl is mounted
> inside each install's /home/Karl directory as /home/Karl/data
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Sorry you do not understand the problem :-[

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

<snip>
> * * * * Sorry you do not understand the problem :-[
<snip>

Your problem is configuration issues in your /home/Karl partition that
conflict. I know how to read and furthermore I know how to read
instructions. You can do what you like, but make sure that if you
don't follow what people tell you will work, that you do not blame
them when it fails.

The advice that was given to you was to take the current /home/Karl
partition and mount it as /media/Data or /home/Karl/Data inside each
install. That way your configs are not messed up across versions. I
think I understand the problem very well, the place where we differ is
that I also understand the advice people gave.

Hope you figure it out to your liking,
~SpaceGhost

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 01:58 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Sorry you do not understand the problem :-[
>>
> <snip>
>
> Your problem is configuration issues in your /home/Karl partition that
> conflict. I know how to read and furthermore I know how to read
> instructions. You can do what you like, but make sure that if you
> don't follow what people tell you will work, that you do not blame
> them when it fails.
>
> The advice that was given to you was to take the current /home/Karl
> partition and mount it as /media/Data or /home/Karl/Data inside each
> install. That way your configs are not messed up across versions. I
> think I understand the problem very well, the place where we differ is
> that I also understand the advice people gave.
>
> Hope you figure it out to your liking,
> ~SpaceGhost

Here is THE problem. The entire /home/karl/ directory has 33 GB of
stuff. This is LARGE, TOO LARGE.

I need to sort through this 33GB and take out just the stuff to
allow things to work. Right now I am plotting out how to get a much
smaller /home/karl/ that will work. Then figure out what will go in the
/home/karl/data/ directory.

Much harder than I thought :-[

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-11-2010, 08:28 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

> * * Here is THE problem. The entire /home/karl/ *directory has 33 GB of
> stuff. This is LARGE, TOO LARGE.
Is that a mounted partition?

> * * I need to sort through this 33GB and take out just the stuff to
> allow things to work. Right now I am plotting out how to get a much
> smaller /home/karl/ that will work. Then figure out what will go in the
> /home/karl/data/ directory.
If it is indeed a partition, you could always just mount it elsewhere
and then remove the configs inside it and let your installs have a
/home/Karl of their own, instead of a single one shared across. That
would eliminate the conflicting configs and you could mount your old
/home/Karl partition to say, /home/Karl/Data or /media/Data on every
install.
If the problem is just a pet peeve of having too much in your
/home/Karl, then I think that you don't necessarily need the support
of the mailing list for that, you've proven you can remove things in a
number of your threads.

If your intention is to make your current /home/Karl into a data
partition, you don't necessarily need to remove the configs. But
either way, YMYR. Just don't blame anyone for what happens. Have a
good time of it.

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 02:28 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>> Here is THE problem. The entire /home/karl/ directory has 33 GB of
>> stuff. This is LARGE, TOO LARGE.
>>
> Is that a mounted partition?
>

>> I need to sort through this 33GB and take out just the stuff to
>> allow things to work. Right now I am plotting out how to get a much
>> smaller /home/karl/ that will work. Then figure out what will go in the
>> /home/karl/data/ directory.
>>
> If it is indeed a partition, you could always just mount it elsewhere
> and then remove the configs inside it and let your installs have a
> /home/Karl of their own, instead of a single one shared across. That
> would eliminate the conflicting configs and you could mount your old
> /home/Karl partition to say, /home/Karl/Data or /media/Data on every
> install.
> If the problem is just a pet peeve of having too much in your
> /home/Karl, then I think that you don't necessarily need the support
> of the mailing list for that, you've proven you can remove things in a
> number of your threads.
>
> If your intention is to make your current /home/Karl into a data
> partition, you don't necessarily need to remove the configs. But
> either way, YMYR. Just don't blame anyone for what happens. Have a
> good time of it.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

You STILL lack an understanding of the problem. Sorry!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

Nevermind, have fun.

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/11/2010 02:33 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> Nevermind, have fun.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

I am doing this now, takes a lot of time:

karl@Lucid:~$ sudo cp -a .* /home/karl/newkarl/

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI