Old 05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Colin Law

Default Remote samba share mounted but shows empty in nautilus. OK in CLI

On 10 May 2010 14:11, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I have a PC running 10.04 and have made several folders available as
> samba shares.
> On my second PC running 9.10 I mount the shares in fstab using lines such as
> //eeyore.local/colinl_home /media/eeyore_home cifs
> rw,credentials=/home/colinl/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0
>
> This works fine except for one case. *When the share is on my home
> folder (/home/colinl in this case) it mounts fine and the share
> appears in nautilus, but when I view the share it shows empty. *If I
> access the share in any other way (ls /media/colinl_home for example,
> or gedit /media/colinl_home/file.txt) it is fine. *The only other case
> where I have found it shows empty is if I browse to the folder in File
> Open in OO for example.
>
> I have examined the folder and file permissions and can see no
> difference between those that work and those that do not.
>
> If I right click in the window in nautilus and select create document
> I can create a document and it appears in the window, but if I click
> refresh it disappears. *The file itself is being created correctly on
> the server and does not disappear, it is just in nautilus on the
> client that it disappears.
>
> To add even further confusion if I select Places, Connect to server,
> select Windows Share and the server and share name then it opens fine
> and shows the contents correctly.
>
> I tried gksu nautilus but this made no difference.

In case anyone is interested I have determined the trigger causing
this and hence a workaround.

First the issue is only seen when the client PC is running 9.10, with
10.04 on the client all is well. (Other versions untested).

Secondly, the trigger is the root owned Examples folder link that the
installer puts in the users home folder (remember the failing share is
on my home folder). Having moved the Examples link away then my home
folder appears in the client as one would expect. I feel sure that I
am not the only one to have come across this, but I still cannot find
an existing bug. It has apparently been fixed in nautilus in 10.04
anyway.

Colin