Old 05-11-2010, 01:03 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default ok, got me a new kernel and some modules ... now what?

i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. after
configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
module files ready to go.

from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:

# make modules_install
# make install
# reboot

which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
/lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. however, this is
grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
updates.

personally, i would prefer to not have to create entire packages of
the above, solely for the purpose of just turning around and
installing them. recipe? should i simply keep reading this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Tom H

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. *after
> configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
> ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
> module files ready to go.
>
> *from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
>
> *# make modules_install
> *# make install
> *# reboot
>
> which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
> /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. *however, this is
> grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
> kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
> updates.

Run
update-grub
after
make install

Old 05-11-2010, 01:46 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>> *i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. *after
>> configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
>> ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
>> module files ready to go.
>>
>> *from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
>>
>> *# make modules_install
>> *# make install
>> *# reboot
>>
>> which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
>> /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. *however, this is
>> grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
>> kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
>> updates.
>
> Run
> update-grub
> after
> make install

sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)"

that suggests the initrd image was not built properly? and,
annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
kernel to boot. time for a live CD and some repair, i guess. not
like i haven't been down *this* road before.

rday

Old 05-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Liam Proven

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> * sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:
>
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> that suggests the initrd image was not built properly? *and,
> annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
> kernel to boot. *time for a live CD and some repair, i guess. *not
> like i haven't been down *this* road before.

If you're building your own kernel - something I've not done in about
4-5 years here; I've not encountered any need to since about '05 or
'06, and then, I was only doing it from curiosity - then why bother
with an initrd? At least earlier on in the 2.6.x kernel series, it was
perfectly possible to just compile in whatever drivers you needed -
the ATA family, for most people these days - and do without, which
made life /much/ easier with a home-built kernel.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 05-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Tom H

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day
>> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> *i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. *after
>>> configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
>>> ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
>>> module files ready to go.
>>>
>>> *from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
>>>
>>> *# make modules_install
>>> *# make install
>>> *# reboot
>>>
>>> which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
>>> /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. *however, this is
>>> grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
>>> kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
>>> updates.
>>
>> Run
>> update-grub
>> after
>> make install
>
> sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:
>
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> that suggests the initrd image was not built properly? *and,
> annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
> kernel to boot. *time for a live CD and some repair, i guess. *not
> like i haven't been down *this* road before.

"Shift" should give you a grub menu.

It does look like a bad initrd...

Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Nils Kassube

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Quoting Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day
> >
> > <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >> i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. after
> >> configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting
> >> "make" ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about
> >> a kajillion module files ready to go.
> >>
> >> from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
> >>
> >> # make modules_install
> >> # make install
> >> # reboot
> >>
> >> which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
> >> /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. however,
> >> this is grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is
> >> or whether the kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate
> >> grub2 config file updates.
> >
> > Run
> > update-grub
> > after
> > make install
>
> sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:
>
> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> that suggests the initrd image was not built properly? and,
> annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
> kernel to boot. time for a live CD and some repair, i guess. not
> like i haven't been down *this* road before.

Not necessarily - hold down the shift key while grub starts. It should
give you the menu to select another kernel.

And did you create an initrd image? That would usually be done with a
command like

sudo update-initramfs -c -k <your-kernel-name>

and then run update-grub again.

Nils

Old 05-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Tom H

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> Quoting Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:

>> > Run
>> > update-grub
>> > after
>> > make install
>>
>> * *sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:
>>
>> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(0,0)"
>
> And did you create an initrd image? That would usually be done with a
> command like
>
> sudo update-initramfs -c -k <your-kernel-name>
>
> and then run update-grub again.

True. That error could also come from an initrd-less boot failure.

"make install" does not create an initrd for me; I have to run the
above to create one.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>> Quoting Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:

>> > Run
>> > update-grub
>> > after
>> > make install
>>
>> sadly, that didn't work as well as it might have:
>>
>> "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>> unknown-block(0,0)"
>>
>> that suggests the initrd image was not built properly? and,
>> annoyingly, there is no timeout that allows me to select the original
>> kernel to boot. time for a live CD and some repair, i guess. not
>> like i haven't been down *this* road before.
>
> Not necessarily - hold down the shift key while grub starts. It should
> give you the menu to select another kernel.

ah, quite so ... i'm just used to having a default 5 second timeout
that counts down for me. time to poke around grub2 for a while, i
think.

> And did you create an initrd image? That would usually be done with a
> command like
>
> sudo update-initramfs -c -k <your-kernel-name>
>
> and then run update-grub again.

well, yes, that would be my issue -- no initrd...img for my new
kernel under /boot. i'm just so used to having all that done for me
under fedora -- the running of "mkinitrd" as part of the "make
install". will try that shortly, thanks. back in a bit.

rday

Old 05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Nils Kassube wrote:

> Not necessarily - hold down the shift key while grub starts. It
> should give you the menu to select another kernel.
>
> And did you create an initrd image? That would usually be done with
> a command like
>
> sudo update-initramfs -c -k <your-kernel-name>
>
> and then run update-grub again.

and there we have it:

rpjday@lynx:~$ uname -a
Linux lynx 2.6.34-rc7 #2 SMP Tue May 11 08:56:21 EDT 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
rpjday@lynx:~$

i'll bet you're jealous. yeah, you are. you totally are.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:33 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Tue, 11 May 2010, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > *i'm guessing what i'm about to ask is grub2-related. *after
> > configuring my kernel source tree (2.6.34-rc7), the resulting "make"
> > ran to completion, so i have a new kernel image and about a kajillion
> > module files ready to go.
> >
> > *from my fedora days, all i'd do then is just:
> >
> > *# make modules_install
> > *# make install
> > *# reboot
> >
> > which would install the kernel in /boot, the modules under
> > /lib/modules, and would update the grub config file. *however, this is
> > grub2, so i have no idea what the proper incantation is or whether the
> > kernel tree supports grub2 and the appropriate grub2 config file
> > updates.
>
> Run
> update-grub
> after
> make install

um ... i checked and there was no initrd image for my new kernel, so
i think the earlier poster was correct in that i need to explicitly
run "update-initramfs" after the install to create that initrd image.

are you suggesting that running "update-grub" alone would do that
automatically when it saw a new kernel image?

rday