Old 05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
zongo saiba

Default Sound in Linux/Ubuntu Chapter 50

Guys,

I have gathered a couple of websites here that helped me understand
better about sound as a newbie to the Linux world. I guess the moral
of the story (at least for me) is that Linux and especially sound,
will not work out the box. The way I see it, it gives you great
flexibility to actually configure you box the way you want it. I
guess, if Linux/Ubuntu was like Windows or Mac, I would most
definitely move away from the platform. Again, that is only my humble
opinion it is most subjective to me. I do appreciate that others might
feel frustrated when things do not work straight away or even at all
(So do I sometimes).
Back to the point, here are the website that I found very useful to
understand more about sound in Linux the Ubuntu way:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=12497
http://www.raptorman18.110mb.com/Linux/ ... udio1.html
http://pulseaudio.org/
http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a ... y-to-linux
http://www.linux.com/feature/119926
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/CleanupAudioJumble

Going back to a discussion I had about Pulse Audio, I don't think
taking it away from the system is such a good idea. Those websites
will most definitely tell you why. Since I have a better configuration
of Pulse Audio in my system, I enjoy better sound and most of all,
sound on my network. The Pulse Audio configuration will not solve you
hardware issue: Meaning, my internal mic for example, remains an
issue. I think this is another stories and more linked to a driver
problem.

Hope that helps clarify things to newcomers to the Linux World made in Ubuntu.

PS: Check out the Arch Linux wiki. I think it is one of the best
tutorials on how to set up Pulse Audio.

Kind Regards,

zongo