Old 05-11-2010, 05:04 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Thinking of LTS onto a current Gentoo box

Being tired of spending days recompiling rather than working, I'm ready to turn my main machine from Gentoo into Ubuntu LTS.
The problem is that I've been seeing horror stories about a fresh install when there are raid drives, and it's a partition on a

hardware raid mirror set that I want to install into -- it's already labeled 'ubuntu' and there's plenty of space.

In the light of all the stories, is this likely to work at all?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Tom H

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parted/+bug/191119
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-md/+bug/542210

Old 05-12-2010, 04:20 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:36 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:04 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Being tired of spending days recompiling rather than working, I'm ready to

> turn my main machine from Gentoo into Ubuntu LTS.

> The problem is that I've been seeing horror stories about a fresh install

> when there are raid drives, and it's a partition on a

> hardware raid mirror set that I want to install into -- it's already labeled

> 'ubuntu' and there's plenty of space.

> In the light of all the stories, is this likely to work at all?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/parted/+bug/191119

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/partman-md/+bug/542210

Thanks.* That helps somewhat.* There are enough differences between what is described and my actual setup to
make it worth trying.* I have some of the new-fangled terrabyte SATA drives, so I've got room to back up a complete image

of everything. (Not contents or partitions -- image the whole drive).
*
But I've gotta get out of Gentoo one way or another...

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD