FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-11-2010, 02:49 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

I, by myself decided to have a partition loaded by /etc/fstab that
is my huge collection of things picked up over years. What I forgot was
that with each new version I wrote a new "thunderbird" information for
the latest version at /home/karl/.thunderbird. It would overwrite what
was there for it's thunderbird.

Since 10.04 is the newest version using the common /home/karl it
put it's .thunderbird there and this Thunderbird works fine, but all
other versions are "broke" . This is really bad since some of my
hardware things do not work on 10.04 but work fine on the 9.10 version.
But I can't be there because the Thunderbird does not work on 9.10.

So I will sleep on this mess and do something right soon.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 05:29 AM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I, by myself decided to have a partition loaded by /etc/fstab
> that is my huge collection of things picked up over years. What I
> forgot was that with each new version I wrote a new "thunderbird"
> information for the latest version at /home/karl/.thunderbird. It
> would overwrite what was there for it's thunderbird.
>
> Since 10.04 is the newest version using the common /home/karl it
> put it's .thunderbird there and this Thunderbird works fine, but all
> other versions are "broke" . This is really bad since some of my
> hardware things do not work on 10.04 but work fine on the 9.10
> version. But I can't be there because the Thunderbird does not work
> on 9.10.

Upgrade your 9.10 thunderbird to the version from 10.04 - possibly by
installing the version from a PPA or directly from the Mozilla site
instead of the one provided by Ubuntu 9.10. That should make it work on
the older distribution again.

Then rethink your use of a common /home for various distributions. As
you just found out the hard way, the configuration files of some (many)
applications are not backward compatible and therefore it can break the
older distribution. I would suggest to use a common /data partition for
the various distributions and keep separate /home directories for each
distribution. Then you don't break the config of an older distribution
if an application changes the config file syntax. It is definitely more
work but may be worth the extra effort.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On 05/10/2010 11:29 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I, by myself decided to have a partition loaded by /etc/fstab
>> that is my huge collection of things picked up over years. What I
>> forgot was that with each new version I wrote a new "thunderbird"
>> information for the latest version at /home/karl/.thunderbird. It
>> would overwrite what was there for it's thunderbird.
>>
>> Since 10.04 is the newest version using the common /home/karl it
>> put it's .thunderbird there and this Thunderbird works fine, but all
>> other versions are "broke" . This is really bad since some of my
>> hardware things do not work on 10.04 but work fine on the 9.10
>> version. But I can't be there because the Thunderbird does not work
>> on 9.10.
>>
> Upgrade your 9.10 thunderbird to the version from 10.04 - possibly by
> installing the version from a PPA or directly from the Mozilla site
> instead of the one provided by Ubuntu 9.10. That should make it work on
> the older distribution again.
>
> Then rethink your use of a common /home for various distributions. As
> you just found out the hard way, the configuration files of some (many)
> applications are not backward compatible and therefore it can break the
> older distribution. I would suggest to use a common /data partition for
> the various distributions and keep separate /home directories for each
> distribution. Then you don't break the config of an older distribution
> if an application changes the config file syntax. It is definitely more
> work but may be worth the extra effort.
>
>
> Nils
>
>
Yes been thinking and that may be the solution. I see no real
problem using fdisk to mount a partition to /data. Then the HOME would
stay with each version. I will DO things and discover why you don't want
to do THAT ;-)

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Tom H
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * Yes been thinking and that may be the solution. I see no real
> problem using fdisk to mount a partition to /data. Then the HOME would
> stay with each version. I will DO things and discover why you don't want
> to do THAT ;-)

I assume (and hope) that you mean that you will create a partition
with fdisk and mount it as /data...

Make sure that the "karl" user has the same uid and gid on the systems
on your box and check the man pages for the correct mount options and
mount-point owner and mode.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
Aart Koelewijn
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:14:57 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * * Yes been thinking and that may be the solution. I see no real
>> problem using fdisk to mount a partition to /data. Then the HOME would
>> stay with each version. I will DO things and discover why you don't
>> want to do THAT ;-)
>
> I assume (and hope) that you mean that you will create a partition with
> fdisk and mount it as /data...
>
> Make sure that the "karl" user has the same uid and gid on the systems
> on your box and check the man pages for the correct mount options and
> mount-point owner and mode.

I would mount it as /home/karl/data

But that is just a personal opinion

Aart


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On 05/11/2010 06:48 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:14:57 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes been thinking and that may be the solution. I see no real
>>> problem using fdisk to mount a partition to /data. Then the HOME would
>>> stay with each version. I will DO things and discover why you don't
>>> want to do THAT ;-)
>>>
>> I assume (and hope) that you mean that you will create a partition with
>> fdisk and mount it as /data...
>>
>> Make sure that the "karl" user has the same uid and gid on the systems
>> on your box and check the man pages for the correct mount options and
>> mount-point owner and mode.
>>
> I would mount it as /home/karl/data
>
> But that is just a personal opinion
>
> Aart
>
>
>
Good thought...I will try that as well.


73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On 05/11/2010 06:48 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> On Tue, 11 May 2010 08:14:57 -0400, Tom H wrote:
>
>
>> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yes been thinking and that may be the solution. I see no real
>>> problem using fdisk to mount a partition to /data. Then the HOME would
>>> stay with each version. I will DO things and discover why you don't
>>> want to do THAT ;-)
>>>
>> I assume (and hope) that you mean that you will create a partition with
>> fdisk and mount it as /data...
>>

Not at all :-(

The /etc/fdisk does not create a partition, it mounts an existing
partition to some part of your system :-)

Karl



>> Make sure that the "karl" user has the same uid and gid on the systems
>> on your box and check the man pages for the correct mount options and
>> mount-point owner and mode.
>>
> I would mount it as /home/karl/data
>
> But that is just a personal opinion
>
> Aart
>
>
>


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-11-2010, 07:05 PM
Johnneylee Rollins
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

<snip>
> * * The /etc/fdisk does not create a partition, it mounts an existing
> partition to some part of your system :-)
<snip>
Actually Karl, it does let you create partitions. It's a very useful
tool and I use it on the rare occasion I need to do something to my
disks.
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/fdisk_partitioning.html

~SpaceGhost

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Steve Flynn
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * The /etc/fdisk does not create a partition, it mounts an existing
> partition to some part of your system :-)

/etc/fdisk does not exist.

You mean /etc/fstab




--
Steve
When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Karl Larsen
 
Default Common HOME over many versions

On 05/13/2010 02:48 PM, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>> The /etc/fdisk does not create a partition, it mounts an existing
>> partition to some part of your system :-)
>>
> /etc/fdisk does not exist.
>
> You mean /etc/fstab
>
>
>
>
>
Sorry I was seeing fdisk but thinking fstab.

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org