Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 PM
"lcn.mustard"

Default 10.04? No thanks, I give up!

On 10-05-2010 16:45, Tom H wrote:

2010/5/10 Edgars *mits <ed.smits@gmail.com>:

I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...

Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
stripes.

I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
works as I expect it to.

You did not have to move to 10.04 as soon as it was released! But you
will have to move away from 9.04 when 10.10 comes out because 9.04
support will end then...

I don't understand how you can blame grub2 for what seems to be a kms problem.

Since nomodeset works when you boot from a Live CD, it should also
work for your install.

Did you google or post on this list to find out how to add nomodeset
to your grub2 boot stanzas?

I always have problens with the video and totem. So I still with hardy.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
zongo saiba

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 17:07 -0300, lcn.mustard wrote:
> On 10-05-2010 16:45, Tom H wrote:
> > 2010/5/10 Edgars *mits <ed.smits@gmail.com>:
> >
> > > I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
> > > my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
> > > the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
> > > after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
> > > white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
> > > to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
> > > 10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
> > > able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
> > > better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
> > > tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
> > > tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...
> > >
> > > Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
> > > Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
> > > started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
> > > update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
> > > stripes.
> > >
> > > I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
> > > around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
> > > only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
> > > 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
> > > listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
> > > vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
> > > then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
> > > camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
> > > able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
> > > up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
> > > works as I expect it to.
> > >
> > You did not have to move to 10.04 as soon as it was released! But you
> > will have to move away from 9.04 when 10.10 comes out because 9.04
> > support will end then...
> >
> > I don't understand how you can blame grub2 for what seems to be a kms problem.
> >
> > Since nomodeset works when you boot from a Live CD, it should also
> > work for your install.
> >
> > Did you google or post on this list to find out how to add nomodeset
> > to your grub2 boot stanzas?
> >

> I always have problens with the video and totem. So I still with
> hardy.

What I would like to understand really is why regressive bugs? I had
sound in 9.10 on my external speakers and I could use my internal
microphone out the box. In 10.04, I had to modify alsa-base.conf in
order to use my external speakers in such a way that now I am unable to
use my internal microphone. The point being not the issue of not using
my internal microphone but more why a regressive bug ? How can that
happen and most importantly why?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:45:49 -0400, Tom H wrote:

> 2010/5/10 Edgars *mits <ed.smits@gmail.com>:
>> I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
>> my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
>> the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
[...]
>> to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give up. I
>> don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that works
>> as I expect it to.
>
> You did not have to move to 10.04 as soon as it was released! But you
> will have to move away from 9.04 when 10.10 comes out because 9.04
> support will end then...

That doesn't mean he has to move away from it at all. It's not like his
OS will suddenly stop working or something like that.

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Graham Todd

On Mon, 10 May 2010 21:22:52 +0300
Edgars *mits <ed.smits@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
> around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
> only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
> 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
> listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
> vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
> then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
> camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
> able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
> up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
> works as I expect it to.
>
> just call me disgruntled...
>
> ED
[snipped]

Try Ultimate Edition 2.6. More details, screenshots, and downloads at:

http://ultimateedition.info/ultimate-edition/ultimate-edition-2-6/

Basically, its Lucid with all the codecs and wireless coding in place -
and the windows controls moved to the right......and it works!

As for the emails, try Claws-Mail with the Bogofilter plugin, also try
Mailfilter as an Action.

Download the live DVD and try it!

--
Graham Todd