Old 05-10-2010, 07:18 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Default 10.04? No thanks, I give up!

Edgars *mits wrote:
> I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
> my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
> the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
> after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
> white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
> to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
> 10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
> able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
> better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
> tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
> tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...
>
> Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
> Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
> started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
> update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
> stripes.
>
> I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
> around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
> only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
> 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
> listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
> vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
> then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
> camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
> able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
> up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
> works as I expect it to.
>
> just call me disgruntled...
>
> ED

There is no law that says you must upgrade to 10.04! I have
10.04 but it is so buggy most of my hardware doesn't work on
10.04 so I type this on version 8.04 where ALL my hardware
worked, and still works.

I will update my 10.04 but not use it until it works with all
my hardware. Enjoy 9.04 which I like too!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Tom H

2010/5/10 Edgars *mits <ed.smits@gmail.com>:
> I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
> my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
> the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
> after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
> white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
> to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
> 10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
> able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
> better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
> tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
> tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...
>
> Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
> Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
> started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
> update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
> stripes.
>
> I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
> around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
> only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
> 1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
> listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
> vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
> then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
> camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
> able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
> up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
> works as I expect it to.

You did not have to move to 10.04 as soon as it was released! But you
will have to move away from 9.04 when 10.10 comes out because 9.04
support will end then...

I don't understand how you can blame grub2 for what seems to be a kms problem.

Since nomodeset works when you boot from a Live CD, it should also
work for your install.

Did you google or post on this list to find out how to add nomodeset
to your grub2 boot stanzas?