Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default recipe for building my own kernel for 10.04?

since i prefer to build and run my own kernels (and i want to test a
few things like ftrace), is there a recipe for doing the kernel thing
for 10.04?

i found something that looks good for a starting point here (ignore
the PPC component):

http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=node/7599

but i want to do things slightly differently.

first, i suspect i'm good to use as a config file what's currently
in /boot/config-2.6.32-21-generic. at the very least, that will
represent a fairly good starting point.

next, i don't want to pull down the kernel source as a package, i
want to clone a git repo so i can keep up with current developments.
ideally, i'd like to use the main git repo at kernel.org, unless
ubuntu makes considerable changes to the stock kernel source.

as an alternative, i found this:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git

where, if i had to guess, i'd guess i'd want to clone this:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=summary

making sense so far? beyond that, i suspect just following the recipe
at that first link above should give me something that's minimally
bootable and i can take it from there.

thoughts?

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-10-2010, 07:27 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> since i prefer to build and run my own kernels (and i want to test a
> few things like ftrace), is there a recipe for doing the kernel thing
> for 10.04?
>
> i found something that looks good for a starting point here (ignore
> the PPC component):
>
> http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=node/7599
>
> but i want to do things slightly differently.
>
> first, i suspect i'm good to use as a config file what's currently
> in /boot/config-2.6.32-21-generic. at the very least, that will
> represent a fairly good starting point.
>
> next, i don't want to pull down the kernel source as a package, i
> want to clone a git repo so i can keep up with current developments.
> ideally, i'd like to use the main git repo at kernel.org, unless
> ubuntu makes considerable changes to the stock kernel source.
>
> as an alternative, i found this:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git
>
> where, if i had to guess, i'd guess i'd want to clone this:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=summary
>
> making sense so far? beyond that, i suspect just following the recipe
> at that first link above should give me something that's minimally
> bootable and i can take it from there.
>
> thoughts?
>
> rday

> Robert P. J. Day Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA
>
> Linux Consulting, Training and Kernel Pedantry.
>
> Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Building a whole new kernel is not for the faint at heart.
It's a whole lot of work that has to be precise.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-10-2010, 07:33 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Karl F. Larsen wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:

... much prose showing that i probably know what i'm talking about
snipped ...

> Building a whole new kernel is not for the faint at heart.
> It's a whole lot of work that has to be precise.

thank you, karl. i'm assuming my earlier post linking to my series
of kernel programming columns for beginners left as much of an
impression on you as anything else in this forum. now if you don't
mind, let's let the grownups talk, shall we?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Mark Syms

> Message: 6
> Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 15:17:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
> Subject: recipe for building my own kernel for 10.04?
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>

> since i prefer to build and run my own kernels (and i want to test a
> few things like ftrace), is there a recipe for doing the kernel thing
> for 10.04?
>
> i found something that looks good for a starting point here (ignore
> the PPC component):
>
> http://www.ppcnux.com/?q=node/7599
>
> but i want to do things slightly differently.
>
> first, i suspect i'm good to use as a config file what's currently
> in /boot/config-2.6.32-21-generic. at the very least, that will
> represent a fairly good starting point.
>
> next, i don't want to pull down the kernel source as a package, i
> want to clone a git repo so i can keep up with current developments.
> ideally, i'd like to use the main git repo at kernel.org, unless
> ubuntu makes considerable changes to the stock kernel source.
>
> as an alternative, i found this:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git
>
> where, if i had to guess, i'd guess i'd want to clone this:
>
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-lucid.git;a=summary
>
> making sense so far? beyond that, i suspect just following the recipe
> at that first link above should give me something that's minimally
> bootable and i can take it from there.
>
> thoughts?

Your best bet might be to start from the following

apt-get source linux

this will pull the source used to build the Ubuntu base kernel. To build
the package you run

debian/rules binary

from inside the source directory created by the apt-get command. Once it
builds, tweak the config and rebuild.

Mark.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Mark Syms wrote:

> Your best bet might be to start from the following
>
> apt-get source linux
>
> this will pull the source used to build the Ubuntu base kernel. To build
> the package you run
>
> debian/rules binary
>
> from inside the source directory created by the apt-get command. Once it
> builds, tweak the config and rebuild.

but i specifically *don't* want to build from a fixed package. i
want to use an up-to-date clone of some git repo as a basis so i can
keep pulling on a regular basis to pick up new developments (and i
*want* the git history that comes with that).

ideally, i'd prefer to use the main linus repository, of which i
have a clone. as plan b, as i mentioned, it would be a
ubuntu-specific git repo, so that i can *still* keep up, and even pull
from other repos. using a fixed package gives me no freedom to update
the source like that.

i'm not saying that the result needs to be perfect. it just needs
to be bootable, and i can hack it from there.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
>
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> ... much prose showing that i probably know what i'm talking about
> snipped ...
>
>> Building a whole new kernel is not for the faint at heart.
>> It's a whole lot of work that has to be precise.
>
> thank you, karl. i'm assuming my earlier post linking to my series
> of kernel programming columns for beginners left as much of an
> impression on you as anything else in this forum. now if you don't
> mind, let's let the grownups talk, shall we?
>
> rday
> --

I am 75 years old and fully grown!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-11-2010, 12:55 AM
Tom H

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

> * * * *Building a whole new kernel is not for the faint at heart.
> It's a whole lot of work that has to be precise.

Do you realize who you replied to, Karl? Did you not read his post and
notice that he has a vague idea of what he is doing. Stay out of
threads that you have no knowledge about. You pollute the list and
derail conversation. Your input is _not_ appreciated.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Tom H wrote:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild

huh, that looks fairly straightforward. except for the occasional
typo -- there is no ncurses-dev package as suggested on that page,
it's actually libncurses5-dev, but i can get a launchpad account and
fix that.

i'll try that shortly.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:49 AM
Tom H

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 6:42 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Tom H wrote:
>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild
>
> huh, that looks fairly straightforward. except for the occasional
> typo -- there is no ncurses-dev package as suggested on that page,
> it's actually libncurses5-dev, but i can get a launchpad account and
> fix that.

The wiki.ubuntu.com pages tend to be "funky".

It is definitely libncurses5-dev...

I looked at your kernel newbie pages and have one question: you refer
on "Building and running a new kernel" (I think) to pulling a git tree
and point the reader to an earlier unnamed column but I was unable to
find the latter.