Old 05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Edgars Ĺ mits

Default 10.04? No thanks, I give up!

I finally give up on 10.04, it's not worth the hassle of trying to get
my video output fixed. When last I wrote I was happily working away in
the wonderful new 10.04 world (not an upgrade, a clean install), when
after an upgrade Saturday I lost my video - all I could see was a
white screen with vertical stripes. I received some advice as to how
to fix this, none of it worked - I was even able to boot into a live
10.04 session if I used the "nomodeset" graphics option, but wasn't
able to fix my problem. I don't quite understand how the new Grub2 is
better than the old one - I can't access it by any known keyboard
tricks that I know (tab, shift etc), and I can't manually edit it - I
tried, and ended up in a memtest hell...

Tonight I finally gave up and decided to do a new install from the
Live disk using nomodeset, installed and rebooted like a trooper,
started doing upgrades etc, and didn't even do a kernel or driver
update when after a reboot I was back to a white screen, vertical
stripes.

I'm going back to 9.04 tomorrow, life's too short to waste screwing
around with an OS, no matter how good it may be. I know I'm not the
only one out there with a Radeon Xpress 200M card in a Dell Inspiron
1501 - there are lots of emails in the bug lists, but the bugs are all
listed as closed. This latest attempt on my part was on a clean,
vanilla install, so I know it's not something I've done, and if it is
then Ubuntu is no where near ready for the big time. I've been a happy
camper for over 5 years, sure, had some problems but usually I was
able to sort them out with help from this list, but this time I give
up. I don't want to be a computer geek, I just want to load an OS that
works as I expect it to.

just call me disgruntled...

ED