Old 05-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Luis Paulo

Default where to make packaging suggestions? the monstrosity that is "xmlto"

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *in the process of setting up my 10.04 box for
> typesetting/publishing, and went to install the "xmlto" package --
> sadly, it insists on dragging in dozens and dozens of "tex"-related
> packages and requiring 757MB of extra disk space. *(...)

Are those tex-related recommend packages? Maybe you may avoid them using

--no-install-recommends
Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for
installing. Configuration Item:
APT::Install-Recommends.
(see man apt-get)

I can, but I'm still using 9.10
$ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xmlto

Hope it helps
Luis

Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Luis Paulo wrote:

> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:07 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > *in the process of setting up my 10.04 box for
> > typesetting/publishing, and went to install the "xmlto" package --
> > sadly, it insists on dragging in dozens and dozens of "tex"-related
> > packages and requiring 757MB of extra disk space. *(...)
> >

> Are those tex-related recommend packages? Maybe you may avoid them using
>
> --no-install-recommends
> Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for
> installing. Configuration Item:
> APT::Install-Recommends.
> (see man apt-get)
>
> I can, but I'm still using 9.10
> $ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends xmlto

ah, quite right, that removes all the tex-related junk. i'm still
keen on a "desktop publishing" task, though. i'll give that some more
thought.

rday