-   -   Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/369-laptop-performs-really-slow-when-running-wifi.html)

"Asif Iqbal" 11-18-2007 11:07 PM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

Hi All

I am running ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. It is a HP Compaq nc 6220. Here
are some hardware specs

- 512M (builtin) + 1G memory chip = 1.5 total ram
- Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
- 02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Network Connection (rev 05)

In ubuntu 7.06 I had no issue with wifi.

But I notice my laptop slows down, mouse starts flickering, keyboard
to screen response very slow. It
happends *only* when I run my laptop for few hours or so on wifi.

The only way I fix it is by rebooting the laptop.

Is there a way to fix this issue

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

"Anthony M. Rasat" 11-19-2007 02:38 AM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

> I am running ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. It is a HP Compaq nc 6220. Here
> are some hardware specs
>
> - 512M (builtin) + 1G memory chip = 1.5 total ram
> - Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
> - 02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> Network Connection (rev 05)
>
> In ubuntu 7.06 I had no issue with wifi.
>
> But I notice my laptop slows down, mouse starts flickering, keyboard
> to screen response very slow. It
> happends *only* when I run my laptop for few hours or so on wifi.
>
> The only way I fix it is by rebooting the laptop.
>
> Is there a way to fix this issue
>

> --
> Asif Iqbal
> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Since you mentioned running laptop few hours or so made your laptop crawl, I would suspect overheating problem. Linux kernel usually logs such incident in kernel dump message so maybe when your laptop starting to crawl, you need to open a terminal console and type:

dmesg

And look in last few lines at bottom of that log.

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
IT*Department
Kaltim Post Group
Balikpapan - Indonesia.-

"Asif Iqbal" 11-19-2007 02:49 AM

On Nov 18, 2007 10:38 PM, Anthony M. Rasat <anton@kaltimpost.net> wrote:

> [...]

It does not make sense. Why would overheating be a problem *only* when
running thru wifi?

"Anthony M. Rasat" 11-19-2007 06:13 AM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

> > > I am running ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop. It is a HP Compaq nc 6220. Here
> > > are some hardware specs
> > >
> > > - 512M (builtin) + 1G memory chip = 1.5 total ram
> > > - Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
> > > - 02:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
> > > Network Connection (rev 05)
> > >
> > > In ubuntu 7.06 I had no issue with wifi.
> > >
> > > But I notice my laptop slows down, mouse starts flickering, keyboard
> > > to screen response very slow. It
> > > happends *only* when I run my laptop for few hours or so on wifi.
> > >
> > > The only way I fix it is by rebooting the laptop.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to fix this issue
> > >

> > > --
> > > Asif Iqbal
> > > PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Since you mentioned running laptop few hours or so made your laptop crawl, I would suspect overheating problem. Linux kernel usually logs such incident in kernel dump message so
>
> It does not make sense. Why would overheating be a problem *only* when
> running thru wifi?
>
> maybe when your laptop starting to crawl, you need to open a terminal
> console and type:
> >
> > dmesg
> >
> > And look in last few lines at bottom of that log.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Anthony M. Rasat
> > ITDepartment
> > Kaltim Post Group
> > Balikpapan - Indonesia.-
> > --

> Asif Iqbal
> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Perhaps you could show us your laptop hardware configuration? You can copy and paste the result of following command*line :

sudo lshw

In case you do not have lshw application in your ubuntu, following command line would install it*from debian repository:

sudo apt-get install lshw

Did you notice anything conspicous from dmesg result last time I ask you? How about paste it here as well?

Regards,

Anthony M. Rasat
IT*Department
Kaltim Post Group
Balikpapan - Indonesia.-

"Asif Iqbal" 11-19-2007 12:33 PM

On Nov 19, 2007 2:13 AM, Anthony M. Rasat <anton@kaltimpost.net> wrote:
> [...]

mylaptop
product: HP Compaq nc6220 (PZ330UA#ABA)
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
version: F.09
serial: CNU5240PYR
width: 32 bits
capabilities: smbios-2.3 dmi-2.3
configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook
uuid=94DD5A0E-AC7A-DA11-1790-6D990A2F6129
*-core
product: 308A
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
physical id: 0
version: KBC Version 40.20
*-firmware
vendor: Hewlett-Packard
physical id: 0
version: 68DTU Ver. F.09 (06/08/2005)
size: 128KB
capacity: 960KB
capabilities: pci pcmcia pnp upgrade shadowing cdboot
bootselect edd int13floppy720 int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial
int17printer acpi usb ls120boot smartbattery biosbootspecification
netboot
*-cpu
product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.60GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.13.8
slot: U10
size: 1600MHz
capacity: 1600MHz
width: 32 bits
clock: 133MHz
capabilities: fpu fpu_exception wp vme de pse tsc msr pae
mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
sse2 ss tm pbe up est tm2 cpufreq
*-cache:0
physical id: 5
slot: Internal L1 Cache
size: 64KB
capacity: 64KB
capabilities: burst internal write-back unified
*-cache:1
physical id: 6
slot: Internal L2 Cache
size: 2MB
capacity: 2MB
capabilities: burst external write-back unified
*-memory
physical id: a
slot: System board or motherboard
size: 1536MB
capacity: 2GB
*-bank:0
vendor: 7FA8000000000000
physical id: 0
serial: 00000000
slot: DIMM #1
size: 1GB
width: 64 bits
clock: 533MHz (1.9ns)
*-bank:1
product: 64T64020HDL5A
vendor: C100000000000000
physical id: 1
serial: 03018823
slot: DIMM #2
size: 512MB
width: 64 bits
clock: 400MHz (2.5ns)
*-pci
product: Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to
DRAM Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel module=intel_agp
*-display:0
product: Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vga bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-display:1 UNCLAIMED
product: Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-pci:0
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1c
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode
bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-network
product: NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:10:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 11
serial: 00:14:38:0a:31:be
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master
cap_list ethernet physical mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt
1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes
driver=tg3 driverversion=3.77 firmware=5751m-v3.29a latency=0 link=no
module=tg3 multicast=yes port=twisted pair
*-pci:1
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1c.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1c.1
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci pciexpress msi pm normal_decode
bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=pcieport-driver
*-usb:0
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1d
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: uhci bus_master
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
*-usb:1
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1d.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.1
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: uhci bus_master
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
*-usb:2
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1d.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.2
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: uhci bus_master
configuration: driver=uhci_hcd latency=0 module=uhci_hcd
*-usb:3
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1d.7
bus info: pci@0000:00:1d.7
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm debug ehci bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=ehci_hcd latency=0 module=ehci_hcd
*-pci:2
product: 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1e
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.0
version: d3
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pci subtractive_decode bus_master cap_list
*-network
product: PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 4
bus info: pci@0000:02:04.0
logical name: eth1
version: 05
serial: 00:12:f0:7b:27:84
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ipw2200
driverversion=1.2.0kmprq firmware=ABG:9.0.2.6 (Mar 22 2005)
ip=192.168.1.136 latency=64 link=yes maxlatency=24 mingnt=3
module=ipw2200 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g
*-pcmcia
product: PCIxx21/x515 Cardbus Controller
vendor: Texas Instruments
physical id: 6
bus info: pci@0000:02:06.0
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pcmcia bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=yenta_cardbus latency=176
maxlatency=5 mingnt=192 module=yenta_socket
*-storage
product: PCIxx21 Integrated FlashMedia Controller
vendor: Texas Instruments
physical id: 6.3
bus info: pci@0000:02:06.3
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: storage pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=tifm_7xx1 latency=64
maxlatency=4 mingnt=7 module=tifm_7xx1
*-system
product: PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621
Secure Digital Controller
vendor: Texas Instruments
physical id: 6.4
bus info: pci@0000:02:06.4
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=sdhci latency=64 maxlatency=4
mingnt=7 module=sdhci
*-communication UNCLAIMED
product: PCI6411/6421/6611/6621/7411/7421/7611/7621
Smart Card Controller
vendor: Texas Instruments
physical id: 6.5
bus info: pci@0000:02:06.5
version: 00
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-multimedia
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1e.2
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.2
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=Intel ICH latency=0 module=snd_intel8x0
*-communication
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1e.3
bus info: pci@0000:00:1e.3
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm generic bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=Intel ICH Modem latency=0
module=snd_intel8x0m
*-isa
product: 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1f
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: isa bus_master
configuration: latency=0
*-ide
product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 1f.1
bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.1
logical name: scsi0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: ide bus_master emulated
configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0 module=ata_piix
*-disk
product: HTS424040M9AT00
vendor: ATA
physical id: 0.0.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0
logical name: /dev/sda
version: MA2O
serial: MPA243Q2FBX4WC
size: 37GB
capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos
configuration: ansiversion=5
*-volume:0
physical id: 1
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,1
logical name: /dev/sda1
capacity: 35GB
capabilities: primary bootable
*-volume:1
physical id: 2
bus info: scsi@0:0.0.0,2
logical name: /dev/sda2
size: 1451MB
capacity: 1451MB
capabilities: primary extended partitioned
partitioned:extended
*-logicalvolume
physical id: 5
logical name: /dev/sda5
capacity: 1451MB
capabilities: nofs
*-cdrom
product: UJDA765aDVD/CDRW
vendor: MATSHITA
physical id: 0.1.0
bus info: scsi@0:0.1.0
logical name: /dev/cdrom
logical name: /dev/dvd
logical name: /dev/scd0
logical name: /dev/sr0
version: 1.02
capabilities: removable audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
configuration: ansiversion=5 status=open

> In case you do not have lshw application in your ubuntu, following command line would install itfrom debian repository:
>
> sudo apt-get install lshw
>
> Did you notice anything conspicous from dmesg result last time I ask you? How about paste it here as well?

It is crawling again, my laptop that is. Here is an exerpt from dmesg

[26814.428000] ipw2200: Failed to send SCAN_ABORT: Command timed out.
[26815.852000] ipw2200: Firmware error detected. Restarting.
[51355.856000] ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x2 frozen
[51355.856000] ata1.00: (ACPI event)
[51355.856000] ata1.00: cmd ca/00:40:47:8c:c6/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0
cdb 0x1e data 32768 out
[51355.856000] res 50/00:40:47:8c:c6/00:00:00:00:00/d0 Emask
0x10 (ATA bus error)
[51355.856000] ata1: soft resetting port
[51359.356000] ata1.01: failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error, err_mask=0x40)
[51359.356000] ata1.01: revalidation failed (errno=-5)
[51359.356000] ata1: failed to recover some devices, retrying in 5 secs
[51364.360000] ata1: soft resetting port
[51364.704000] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
[51364.876000] ata1.01: configured for MWDMA2
[51364.876000] ata1: EH pending after completion, repeating EH (cnt=4)
[51364.876000] ata1: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x1
[51364.876000] ata1: (ACPI event)
[51365.064000] ata1.00: configured for UDMA/33
[51365.236000] ata1.01: configured for MWDMA2
[51365.236000] ata1: EH complete
[51365.236000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 78140160 512-byte hardware sectors (40008 MB)
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache:
enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 78140160 512-byte hardware sectors (40008 MB)
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[51365.240000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
[51365.244000] sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache:

"Asif Iqbal" 11-20-2007 01:54 PM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

Anyone else have any suggestion as to why my laptop crawls after
running for a while on ONLY wifi?

Should I downgrade it to feisty fawn? I had no problem with wifi there.

What is the simple way to downgrade?

AlgoMantra 11-20-2007 02:00 PM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

Anyone else have any suggestion as to why my laptop crawls after
running for a while on ONLY wifi?

Should I downgrade it to feisty fawn? I had no problem with wifi there.

What is the simple way to downgrade?

I have the same problem, I think.

Perhaps because I use wifi, my log file of certain networking events is
becoming too big in the RAM? Can anybody here throw some light on
this issue?

David Curtis 11-20-2007 04:03 PM

Laptop performs really slow when running from wifi

On Nov 20, 2007 8:24 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com
> <mailto:vadud3@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Anyone else have any suggestion as to why my laptop crawls after
> running for a while on ONLY wifi?
>
> Should I downgrade it to feisty fawn? I had no problem with wifi there.
>
> What is the simple way to downgrade?

I would assume that since your mouse "flickers" and screen refresh is
slow that something is consuming a large amounts of cpu. Run 'top' or
'htop' in a terminal (or tty, ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f7 to return to
Xorg). The offender should be at the top of the list.

Dave

"Asif Iqbal" 11-20-2007 08:56 PM

On Nov 20, 2007 12:03 PM, David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2007 8:24 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3@gmail.com
> > <mailto:vadud3@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > Anyone else have any suggestion as to why my laptop crawls after
> > running for a while on ONLY wifi?
> >
> > Should I downgrade it to feisty fawn? I had no problem with wifi there.
> >
> > What is the simple way to downgrade?
> >

> I would assume that since your mouse "flickers" and screen refresh is
> slow that something is consuming a large amounts of cpu. Run 'top' or
> 'htop' in a terminal (or tty, ctrl-alt-f1, ctrl-alt-f7 to return to
> Xorg). The offender should be at the top of the list.

I am almost positive it was X on the top of the htop list. I will run it again
tonight and report back here.