Old 05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Gilles Gravier

Default VirtualBox 3.1.8 released... support for Lucid Lynx.

Hi gang!

Today Oracle released VirtualBox 3.1.8, a maintenance release of VirtualBox 3.1 which improves stability and fixes regressions.

Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.

See the Changelog at

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog

for a complete list of all changes.

You can download the binaries here:

http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/3.1.8/

Gilles.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.

Thanks, Gilles. Why does support for a specific Linux distro have to
be enabled? Is there something fundamentally different about Lucid
Lynx that needs special support? I can understand coding support for
different OSes, such as Windows, but for yet another Linux distro?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Gilles Gravier

Dotan,

On 10/05/2010 17:02, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.
>>

> Thanks, Gilles. Why does support for a specific Linux distro have to
> be enabled? Is there something fundamentally different about Lucid
> Lynx that needs special support? I can understand coding support for
> different OSes, such as Windows, but for yet another Linux distro?

I don't know the specifics, but for example when Ubuntu introduced
AppArmor, applications that used IPCs to communicate with other
components (think MySQL and PHP) needed to be adapted (my Logitech
Squeezeserver had to be udpated)... differences in kernel, differences
in networking stack at low level (VirtualBox interfaces INSIDE the
networking stack to enable things like NAT or bridging with the host
network cards)...

VirtualBox is a complex application that has kernel-level interactions
with the host...

Gilles.

Old 05-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 10 May 2010 18:19, Gilles Gravier <ggravier@fsfe.org> wrote:
> Dotan,
>
> On 10/05/2010 17:02, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.
>>>

>> Thanks, Gilles. Why does support for a specific Linux distro have to
>> be enabled? Is there something fundamentally different about Lucid
>> Lynx that needs special support? I can understand coding support for
>> different OSes, such as Windows, but for yet another Linux distro?
>>
> I don't know the specifics, but for example when Ubuntu introduced
> AppArmor, applications that used IPCs to communicate with other
> components (think MySQL and PHP) needed to be adapted (my Logitech
> Squeezeserver had to be udpated)... differences in kernel, differences
> in networking stack at low level (VirtualBox interfaces INSIDE the
> networking stack to enable things like NAT or bridging with the host
> network cards)...
>
> VirtualBox is a complex application that has kernel-level interactions
> with the host...
>
> Gilles.

I see, thanks. I suppose that different kernels would in fact need
different support.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2010 08:02 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.
>>

> Thanks, Gilles. Why does support for a specific Linux distro have to
> be enabled? Is there something fundamentally different about Lucid
> Lynx that needs special support? I can understand coding support for
> different OSes, such as Windows, but for yet another Linux distro?

It's in the changelog:
Linux hosts: add host USB support for Ubuntu 10.04 and other hosts
without the hal daemon or usbfs (bug #6343)

Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Dotan Cohen

On 10 May 2010 20:09, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 08:02 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Among other fixes it contains support for Ubuntu Lucid Lynx hosts.
>>>

>> Thanks, Gilles. Why does support for a specific Linux distro have to
>> be enabled? Is there something fundamentally different about Lucid
>> Lynx that needs special support? I can understand coding support for
>> different OSes, such as Windows, but for yet another Linux distro?
>>

> It's in the changelog:
> Linux hosts: add host USB support for Ubuntu 10.04 and other hosts
> without the hal daemon or usbfs (bug #6343)

Thanks, I considered opening the changelog but the truth is that I was
interested in the more general "why" and not the specifics of this
particular time.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com