Old 05-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Colin Law

Default Remote samba share mounted but shows empty in nautilus. OK in CLI

I have a PC running 10.04 and have made several folders available as
samba shares.
On my second PC running 9.10 I mount the shares in fstab using lines such as
//eeyore.local/colinl_home /media/eeyore_home cifs
rw,credentials=/home/colinl/.credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

This works fine except for one case. When the share is on my home
folder (/home/colinl in this case) it mounts fine and the share
appears in nautilus, but when I view the share it shows empty. If I
access the share in any other way (ls /media/colinl_home for example,
or gedit /media/colinl_home/file.txt) it is fine. The only other case
where I have found it shows empty is if I browse to the folder in File
Open in OO for example.

I have examined the folder and file permissions and can see no
difference between those that work and those that do not.

If I right click in the window in nautilus and select create document
I can create a document and it appears in the window, but if I click
refresh it disappears. The file itself is being created correctly on
the server and does not disappear, it is just in nautilus on the
client that it disappears.

To add even further confusion if I select Places, Connect to server,
select Windows Share and the server and share name then it opens fine
and shows the contents correctly.

I tried gksu nautilus but this made no difference.

I have googled in vain for anyone having similar problems, though
perhaps I have not found the right keywords.

Any suggestions on where to go from here gratefully accepted.

Colin