Old 05-10-2010, 12:09 PM
"Alex Diang'a"

Default Ubuntu Running on Low-Graphics Mode

Hi
I am a new Ubuntu user. I recently upgraded Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04. The Xane program was not running properly. As I was trying to remove it using software sources, my laptop shutdown. On restart, it brought the following message.

Ubuntu running on low-graphics Mode - Your screen, graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself.

The machine stops at this point and cannot go further. I am able to login via text mode.

Please assist

Old 05-16-2010, 11:06 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2010 05:09 AM, Alex Diang'a wrote:
> Hi
> I am a new Ubuntu user. I recently upgraded Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04. The Xane
> program was not running properly. As I was trying to remove it using
> software sources, my laptop shutdown. On restart, it brought the following
> message.
>
> *Ubuntu running on low-graphics Mode - Your screen, graphics card, and input
> device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure
> these yourself.*
>
> The machine stops at this point and cannot go further. I am able to login
> via text mode.
>
> Please assist

Alex, did you get this sorted out, or do you still need help?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:58 PM
Sandy Harris

On 5/17/10, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> > *Ubuntu running on low-graphics Mode - Your screen, graphics card, and input
> > device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure
> > these yourself.*

My machine, with on-board Intel graphics chip, usually runs fine but if
I leave it powered on but unused for a while, it gets itself to that
message.

> > The machine stops at this point and cannot go further. I am able to login
> > via text mode.

There's a menu presented. I've tried the obvious options without joy.
Restarting X gives a series of "broken pipe" errors, then hangs.
Reboot and all is well.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:54 AM
"Alex Diang'a"

I re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 afresh and now it is running fine.
Alex

Old 05-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Laura Conrad

Sandy> On 5/17/10, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> > *Ubuntu running on low-graphics Mode - Your screen, graphics
>> > card, and input device settings could not be detected
>> > correctly. You will need to configure these yourself.*

Sandy> My machine, with on-board Intel graphics chip, usually runs
Sandy> fine but if I leave it powered on but unused for a while,
Sandy> it gets itself to that message.

Are you using the screen saver with the random screensaver option?
Mine does that when it hits a screensaver app that doesn't work with
my system. So I've had to stop using the screensaver, which is a pain
because I'm still having the problem with the cursor going away when I
close the lid, so it would be nice to have the screensaver running if
I have to leave the lid open.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org)
(617) 661-8097 233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

The good life, as I conceive it, is a happy life. I do not mean that
if you are good you will be happy - I mean that if you are happy you
will be good.

Bertrand Russell

Old 05-19-2010, 04:51 PM
NoOp

On 05/16/2010 10:54 PM, Alex Diang'a wrote:
> I re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 afresh and now it is running fine.
> Alex

Thanks for the update.