Old 05-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Amichai Rotman

Default Small Office Backup Solution

Hi All.
I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:

* Linux based Server* Simple to set up and deploy* Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably**hidden*service style)* A way for the*management to monitor the backups without accessing the Linux Server directly.

* Incremental / Delta support.* CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh* No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
I'll*appreciate any*recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like the WD Passport series?)

Thanks!**
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 05-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Arun Shrimali

I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:

* Linux based Server* Simple to set up and deploy* Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably**hidden*service style)* A way for the*management to monitor the backups without accessing the Linux Server directly.

* Incremental / Delta support.* CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh* No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
I'll*appreciate any*recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like the WD Passport series?)

Thanks!**
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.

Though Many of the experts will not suggest this, but you can look at Ubuntu based 'ebox'* which may suite in your requirement

http://www.ebox-platform.com/

Arun

Old 05-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 14:48 +0300, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All.
>

> I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users).
> They have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
>

> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>

> * Linux based Server
> * Simple to set up and deploy
> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably hidden service style)
> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing
> the Linux Server directly.
> * Incremental / Delta support.
> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>

> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives
> (like the WD Passport series?)

If you are looking for a commercial solution, Acronis software may be
very useful:

http://www.acronis.com

They provide free trials for their software, you may have a look at
them.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Larry Shields

[...]

From what I see on that web site, it is only for making backup's,
nothing for installing printer drivers for my deskjet 5550 etc...

Thanks Larry

--
Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Lucid

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 05-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 08:10 -0500, Larry Shields wrote:
> On 05/10/2010 08:02 AM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 14:48 +0300, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All.
> > >

> > > I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users).
> > > They have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
> > >

> > > I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
> > >

> > > * Linux based Server
> > > * Simple to set up and deploy
> > > * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably hidden service style)
> > > * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing
> > > the Linux Server directly.
> > > * Incremental / Delta support.
> > > * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
> > > * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
> > >

> > > I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives
> > > (like the WD Passport series?)
> > >

> > If you are looking for a commercial solution, Acronis software may be
> > very useful:
> >

> > http://www.acronis.com
> >

> > They provide free trials for their software, you may have a look at
> > them.
> >

> From what I see on that web site, it is only for making backup's,
> nothing for installing printer drivers for my deskjet 5550 etc...
>
> Thanks Larry

Ehm, what?

I suppose you confused the discussion threads.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 05/10/2010 01:48 PM, Amichai Rotman wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They
> have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
>
> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>
> * Linux based Server
> * Simple to set up and deploy
> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably hidden service style)
> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing the
> Linux Server directly.
> * Incremental / Delta support.
> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>
> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives
> (like the WD Passport series?)

When you look at a solution with a backup-server which can backup Windoz
and Linux machines, check out backuppc:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

or just Google backuppc...

Thomas

Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 AM
Florian Diesch

Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> writes:

> I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They
> have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
>
> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>
> * Linux based Server
> * Simple to set up and deploy
> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably hidden service style)
> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing the
> Linux Server directly.
> * Incremental / Delta support.
> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>
> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like
> the WD Passport series?)

Have a look at http://www.amanda.org/ and http://www.bacula.org/

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/shell-scripts/>

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 23:57, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
> Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> writes:
>
>> I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They
>> have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
>>
>> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>>
>> * Linux based Server
>> * Simple to set up and deploy
>> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably *hidden service style)
>> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing the
>> Linux Server directly.
>> * Incremental / Delta support.
>> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
>> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>>
>> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like
>> the WD Passport series?)
>
> Have a look at http://www.amanda.org/ and http://www.bacula.org/

FWIW, I never had any luck in getting bacula to actually work. It
took me forever to even get it compiled on RHEL when I was evaluating
backup solutions. I'd suggest Amanda over bacula any day of the week.

Amanda has been around for ever. There is a LARGE user base and support base.
Amanda has commercial backing as an option for support.
Amanda was just, for me at least, simply easier to install, and
configure and get running, and it will write backups to anything
(CD-R, local hard disk, remote NAS, Tape drives or vaults, etc).

Cheers,
Jeff

Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

J said the following on 12/05/10 09:44:
> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 23:57, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
>>> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>>>
>>> * Linux based Server
>>> * Simple to set up and deploy
>>> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably hidden service style)
>>> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing the
>>> Linux Server directly.
>>> * Incremental / Delta support.
>>> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
>>> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>>>
>>> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like
>>> the WD Passport series?)
>> Have a look at http://www.amanda.org/ and http://www.bacula.org/
>
> FWIW, I never had any luck in getting bacula to actually work. It
> took me forever to even get it compiled on RHEL when I was evaluating
> backup solutions. I'd suggest Amanda over bacula any day of the week.
Interesting, my experience was the other way around (with Ubuntu 6.06 in a
big way and 8.04 at home). Now the pixies ate my tape drive and goblins
gobbled up the tapes and gremlins are creating bad sectors on my backup disk
meaning I don't do managed backups anymore but Bacula should cover all of
the OP's requests.

Bacula had a rather complex setup to start with and once I got used to the
terminology and what it was doing, it was rather easy going.

Cheers,
Hakan

Old 05-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Florian Diesch

J <dreadpiratejeff@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 23:57, Florian Diesch <diesch@spamfence.net> wrote:
>> Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> writes:
>>
>>> I have a few customers with very small offices (up to 10-15 users). They
>>> have a mixed network (Windows XP Pro clients, Linux server).
>>>
>>> I a looking for a backup solution with the following requirements:
>>>
>>> * Linux based Server
>>> * Simple to set up and deploy
>>> * Cross Platform: A windows client (preferably *hidden service style)
>>> * A way for the management to monitor the backups without accessing the
>>> Linux Server directly.
>>> * Incremental / Delta support.
>>> * CLI interface for me to be able to manage remotely over ssh
>>> * No Tape support needed - most of them use an external USB hard drive
>>>
>>> I'll appreciate any recommendations for suitable external hard drives (like
>>> the WD Passport series?)
>>
>> Have a look at http://www.amanda.org/ and http://www.bacula.org/
>
> FWIW, I never had any luck in getting bacula to actually work. It
> took me forever to even get it compiled on RHEL when I was evaluating
> backup solutions. I'd suggest Amanda over bacula any day of the week.
>
> Amanda has been around for ever. There is a LARGE user base and support base.
> Amanda has commercial backing as an option for support.
> Amanda was just, for me at least, simply easier to install, and
> configure and get running, and it will write backups to anything
> (CD-R, local hard disk, remote NAS, Tape drives or vaults, etc).

I've heard different things about both of them, but for most people at
least one oft them seems to work.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>