Old 05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
Ian Coetzee

Default Missing menu bar, where could they have gone?

Hi all

My menu bar is missing on nautilus and terminal, . I cant remember what
I changed when they dissappeared. I created a new user, and logged in as
that user but they are still gone. I also tried using that user on xfce
and kde but there is no problems, only on gnome. Is there anyone with
any ideas? Anything I missed?

Regards
Ian

Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Ian Coetzee

On 2010/05/10 09:08 AM, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My menu bar is missing on nautilus and terminal, . I cant remember what
> I changed when they dissappeared. I created a new user, and logged in as
> that user but they are still gone. I also tried using that user on xfce
> and kde but there is no problems, only on gnome. Is there anyone with
> any ideas? Anything I missed?
>
> Regards
> Ian

Continueing from the other thread

> On 2010/05/10 08:50 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>> On 10/05/10 15:33, Ian Coetzee wrote:
>>
>>> Good day to you all
>>>
>>> Just a quick jot-down of my thoughts.
>>>
>>> Since the whole list at the moment is talking about what is wrong in
>>> 10.04 I want you all to know that I atempted an upgrade from 9.10 ->
>>> 10.04 (*shudder*).
>>>
>>> The whole thing started becuase I lost my menu bars(?) and thought that
>>> 10.04 might fix it. I started the upgrade via SSH shell from far away
>>> (work). When I got home I took a look at what happend.
>>>

>> [pruned]
>>

>>> *Unfortunately it did not fix my menu bar problem I will create a new
>>> thread to discuss that one.
>>>

>> I have a note here which I followed when I had a similar problem to you.
>> Do this:
>>
>> in a terminal, killall -l gnome-panel
>>
>> then CTRL-ALT-F1, login and do
>>
>> rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
>>
>> after which do CTRL-ALT-F7 and you will be back at the Desktop.

I think you misunderstand which menu bar I am talking about

It is the one with the "File, Edit, Help" dropdowns

Regards
Ian

Old 05-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Basil Chupin

On 10/05/10 18:12, Ian Coetzee wrote:

> I think you misunderstand which menu bar I am talking about
>
> It is the one with the "File, Edit, Help" dropdowns
>
> Regards
> Ian

You aren't kidding that I, and anyone else, would be misunderstanding
what you are talking about: you put a (?) with the"menu bars" indicating
that you don't know what they are called but now decide to add some -
but very little - clarification about what these "menus" are.

*Where* are these '"File, Edit, Help" dropdowns'!?

BC

--

Property monopolized or in possession of a few is a curse to mankind.

John Adams - 1765

Old 05-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Ian Coetzee

On 2010/05/10 10:39 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/05/10 18:12, Ian Coetzee wrote:
>
>> I think you misunderstand which menu bar I am talking about
>>
>> It is the one with the "File, Edit, Help" dropdowns
>>
>> Regards
>> Ian
>>

> You aren't kidding that I, and anyone else, would be misunderstanding
> what you are talking about: you put a (?) with the"menu bars" indicating
> that you don't know what they are called but now decide to add some -
> but very little - clarification about what these "menus" are.
>
> *Where* are these '"File, Edit, Help" dropdowns'!?
>
> BC

Basil

I agree details I gave was a bit sketchy, but I assumed everyone should
know what I talk about when I talk about the menu bar..

Let me try and explain it this way, try and bear with me.

At the top of the window, you have the program name, below that you find
the menu bar with the names File, Edit etc etc etc.

Hope that helps you a bit more, if not I will try and take a screen shot
when I am at home in about 5 hours.

Regards
Ian

Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Michael Pavling

On 10 May 2010 11:57, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
> At the top of the window, you have the program name, below that you find
> the menu bar with the names File, Edit etc etc etc.

In terminal press shift-f10 or right-click the window.
You can click "show menubar", and you can also edit the profile
preferences, where there's an option to "show menubar by default in
new terminals".

(I googled for "ubuntu terminal menu bar", and gleaned the above from
the first result)

Old 05-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/10/2010 04:57 AM, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On 2010/05/10 10:39 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 10/05/10 18:12, Ian Coetzee wrote:
>>

>>> I think you misunderstand which menu bar I am talking about
>>>
>>> It is the one with the "File, Edit, Help" dropdowns
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Ian
>>>

>> You aren't kidding that I, and anyone else, would be misunderstanding
>> what you are talking about: you put a (?) with the"menu bars" indicating
>> that you don't know what they are called but now decide to add some -
>> but very little - clarification about what these "menus" are.
>>
>> *Where* are these '"File, Edit, Help" dropdowns'!?
>>
>> BC
>>

> Basil
>
> I agree details I gave was a bit sketchy, but I assumed everyone should
> know what I talk about when I talk about the menu bar..
>
> Let me try and explain it this way, try and bear with me.
>
> At the top of the window, you have the program name, below that you find
> the menu bar with the names File, Edit etc etc etc.
>
> Hope that helps you a bit more, if not I will try and take a screen shot
> when I am at home in about 5 hours.
>
> Regards
> Ian

I think the problem is dropdown menus. The menu items are on
the edges of everything clear down to a terminal window. If you click a
nemu item it drops down or goes up, depending on which menu.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 09:08 +0200, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My menu bar is missing on nautilus and terminal, . I cant remember what
> I changed when they dissappeared. I created a new user, and logged in as
> that user but they are still gone. I also tried using that user on xfce
> and kde but there is no problems, only on gnome. Is there anyone with
> any ideas? Anything I missed?

Perhaps you have to go to Preferences::Appearance::Interface and enable
the option "Show icons in menus" and "Text below items"?

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 10 May 2010 18:39:10 +1000
Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> *Where* are these '"File, Edit, Help" dropdowns'!?
>
> BC

Look at almost any application window. They are just under the Title
bar.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 05-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Ian Coetzee

Op 10/05/2010 09:08, Ian Coetzee het geskryf:
> Hi all
>
> My menu bar is missing on nautilus and terminal, . I cant remember what
> I changed when they dissappeared. I created a new user, and logged in as
> that user but they are still gone. I also tried using that user on xfce
> and kde but there is no problems, only on gnome. Is there anyone with
> any ideas? Anything I missed?
>
> Regards
> Ian

I think we have some misunderstanding and got some screen shots here.

Logged in as user Ian, under gnome I see in Terminal

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian_gnome/terminal1.png
http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian_gnome/terminal2.png

Nautilus I have

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian_gnome/nautilus.png

They should look like this

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian_gnome/thunderbird.png

Logged in as user Ian2 (a new user I created), under gnome I see in Terminal

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_gnome/terminal1.png
http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_gnome/terminal2.png

Nautilus I have

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_gnome/nautilus.png

They should also look like this

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian_gnome/thunderbird.png

Now when I log in as ian2 under XFCE I see this in Terminal

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_xfce/terminal1.png
http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_xfce/terminal2.png

XFCE filebrowser I see

http://iancoetzee.za.net/ian2_xfce/file_browser.png

I hope that clears things up a bit more.

Regards
Ian

Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Ian Coetzee <ubuntu@iancoetzee.za.net> wrote:
> Op 10/05/2010 09:08, Ian Coetzee het geskryf:
>> Hi all
>>
>> My menu bar is missing on nautilus and terminal, . I cant remember what
>> I changed when they dissappeared. I created a new user, and logged in as
>> that user but they are still gone. I also tried using that user on xfce
>> and kde but there is no problems, only on gnome. Is there anyone with
>> any ideas? Anything I missed?

Perhaps this can help:

http://www.watchingthenet.com/restore-panels-in-ubuntu-back-to-their-default-settings.html

--