Old 05-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Ian Coetzee

Default 10.04 successfull horror story

Good day to you all

Just a quick jot-down of my thoughts.

Since the whole list at the moment is talking about what is wrong in
10.04 I want you all to know that I atempted an upgrade from 9.10 ->
10.04 (*shudder*).

The whole thing started becuase I lost my menu bars(?) and thought that
10.04 might fix it. I started the upgrade via SSH shell from far away
(work). When I got home I took a look at what happend.

*My system booted (Thats always a good sign)
*I could log in using my old username+password (obviously)
*My Nvidia card worked
*My default language was updated to show the alot of the menu entries in
my mother tongue
*My synaptics issue was fixed where I could not authenticate to most of
my repo's (donno what happened there)
*There was a few other issues that was fixed as well, that I cant think
of at the moment.
*Unfortunately it did not fix my menu bar problem I will create a new
thread to discuss that one.

So all in all (if you cant tell from the above) I had a very positive
experience with upgrading to 10.04.

Regards
Ian

Old 05-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 10/05/10 15:33, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> Good day to you all
>
> Just a quick jot-down of my thoughts.
>
> Since the whole list at the moment is talking about what is wrong in
> 10.04 I want you all to know that I atempted an upgrade from 9.10 ->
> 10.04 (*shudder*).
>
> The whole thing started becuase I lost my menu bars(?) and thought that
> 10.04 might fix it. I started the upgrade via SSH shell from far away
> (work). When I got home I took a look at what happend.

[pruned]

> *Unfortunately it did not fix my menu bar problem I will create a new
> thread to discuss that one.

I have a note here which I followed when I had a similar problem to you.
Do this:

in a terminal, killall -l gnome-panel

then CTRL-ALT-F1, login and do

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd

after which do CTRL-ALT-F7 and you will be back at the Desktop.

The above will wipe clean the top and bottom panels and bring them back
to the default setting. You will now have to repopulate/configure them
with whatever you had in them before you had this problem.

BC

--
Property monopolized or in possession of a few is a curse to mankind.

John Adams - 1765

Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM
Dotan Cohen

> rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd

Don't do that. Go look at all the software that stores data in those
directories.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Basil Chupin

On 10/05/10 16:55, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
>>

> Don't do that. Go look at all the software that stores data in those
> directories.

And the supposed disaster of doing so would be......?

I have never given advice to anyone unless I have done it "to myself" -
and this is the advice I read in this forum in a post dated 2 May.

In fact, I just did this to my own system and, as I stated, the only
thing which has occurred is that I now have to repopulate/reconfigure
the top and bottom panels because they have been reset to default. I
have not lost any installed applications - but all I have are "virgin"
panels.

BC

Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> :
>On 10/05/10 16:55, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd
>> Don't do that. Go look at all the software that stores data in those
>> directories.
>And the supposed disaster of doing so would be......?
>I have never given advice to anyone unless I have done it "to myself"

At least, you should have gave the advice to back those directories up.
Then if the "rm" solved it, give the advice to restore one by one the
important dot-dirs.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Basil Chupin

On 10/05/10 18:29, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> :

>>> Don't do that. Go look at all the software that stores data in those
>>> directories.
>>>
>> And the supposed disaster of doing so would be......?
>> I have never given advice to anyone unless I have done it "to myself"
>>
> At least, you should have gave the advice to back those directories up.
> Then if the "rm" solved it, give the advice to restore one by one the
> important dot-dirs.

You're right- I should have added "Reboot after doing the above".

The directories are recreated when you reboot. The only thing missing
are the items with which you populate the panels with.

BC

Old 05-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Nils Kassube

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 10/05/10 18:29, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> >> Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> :

> >> And the supposed disaster of doing so would be......?
> >> I have never given advice to anyone unless I have done it "to
> >> myself"
> >
> > At least, you should have gave the advice to back those directories
> > up. Then if the "rm" solved it, give the advice to restore one by
> > one the important dot-dirs.
>
> You're right- I should have added "Reboot after doing the above".
>
> The directories are recreated when you reboot. The only thing missing
> are the items with which you populate the panels with.

I suppose they will be recrated when you relogin without a reboot as
well.

However if you remove the mentioned directories, you not only lose the
panel configuration but also the configuration of many other
applications. I don't think that is the intended effect. At least I
wouldn't be too happy if I followed your advice and lost the
configuration of Ekiga which seems to be stored in ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga/.

Nils

Old 05-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Ian Coetzee

On 2010/05/10 12:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> At least, you should have gave the advice to back those directories
>>> up. Then if the "rm" solved it, give the advice to restore one by
>>> one the important dot-dirs.
>>>
>> You're right- I should have added "Reboot after doing the above".
>>
>> The directories are recreated when you reboot. The only thing missing
>> are the items with which you populate the panels with.
>>
> I suppose they will be recrated when you relogin without a reboot as
> well.
>
> However if you remove the mentioned directories, you not only lose the
> panel configuration but also the configuration of many other
> applications. I don't think that is the intended effect. At least I
> wouldn't be too happy if I followed your advice and lost the
> configuration of Ekiga which seems to be stored in ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga/.
>

> Nils

Sorry if this is sounding like a Nazi like statement, but arent you
going a bit offtopic here?

Regards
Ian

Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM
Dotan Cohen

>>> The directories are recreated when you reboot. The only thing missing
>>> are the items with which you populate the panels with.

No, the items with which you populate the panels with are NOT the only
thing missing if one rm's .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd

> Sorry if this is sounding like a Nazi like statement, but arent you
> going a bit offtopic here?

No, the GP is suggesting that the OP perform a dangerous operation. I
suspect that GP does not understand the nature of his suggestion.
Although it will in fact reset the panel configuration, it will reset
many other things as well.

Basil, I know that your intention is not malicious. I do not mean to imply that.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Nils Kassube

Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On 2010/05/10 12:42 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > However if you remove the mentioned directories, you not only lose
> > the panel configuration but also the configuration of many other
> > applications. I don't think that is the intended effect. At least
> > I wouldn't be too happy if I followed your advice and lost the
> > configuration of Ekiga which seems to be stored in
> > ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga/.

> Sorry if this is sounding like a Nazi like statement, but arent you
> going a bit offtopic here?

Yes, that is probably as OT as the post I was replying to. Anyway, I
think it is good to know the possible consequences of following
questionable advice.

Nils