Old 05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
John D Lamb

Default OO function key short cut "F11"

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 22:49 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
> On upgrading to Lucid, found change in shortcuts, F11 used to open
> "Style and formatting", but now it is for "full screen mode". Why such
> changes?

There are still some who treat a wordprocessor as if it were a
typewriter. The Styles and Formatting menu has no meaning for them
because they don’t know what styles or formatting are. But full screen
makes sense because they don’t use any useful features anyway.
Apparently if you have an infinite number of them, one of them will
eventually type the complete works of Shakespeare.

Use

Tools > Customise…

to open the customise menu. Then select the Keyboard tab and select
Category: Format; Function: Styles and Formatting; Shortcut Keys: F11.
Click Modify so that F11 does what it should.

Probably you’ll also need to select Category: View; Function: Full
screen; Shortcut Keys: Ctrl+Shift+J to assign full-screen mode to its
original setting.

--
JDL

Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Graham Todd

On Sun, 09 May 2010 20:36:37 +0100
John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com> uttered these words:

> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 22:49 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
> > On upgrading to Lucid, found change in shortcuts, F11 used to open
> > "Style and formatting", but now it is for "full screen mode". Why
> > such changes?
>
> There are still some who treat a wordprocessor as if it were a
> typewriter. The Styles and Formatting menu has no meaning for them
> because they don’t know what styles or formatting are. But full screen
> makes sense because they don’t use any useful features anyway.
[snipped]

With the greatest of respect, the reply doesn't answer the OP's
original question. He asked *WHY* F11 now opens "Full Screen Mode"
instead of "Style and Formatting" under Lucid.

I don't know why, either. There's been a number of changes to the Gnome
desktop under Lucid that appear to be more due to branding than
usefulness - take the window controls being moved from right to left.
Could this be the reason for the change in OpenOffice under Lucid?

--
Graham Todd

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 AM
Greg Bair

Graham Todd wrote:
> On Sun, 09 May 2010 20:36:37 +0100
> John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com> uttered these words:
>

>> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 22:49 +0530, H.S.Rai wrote:
>>
>>> On upgrading to Lucid, found change in shortcuts, F11 used to open
>>> "Style and formatting", but now it is for "full screen mode". Why
>>> such changes?
>>>
>> There are still some who treat a wordprocessor as if it were a
>> typewriter. The Styles and Formatting menu has no meaning for them
>> because they don’t know what styles or formatting are. But full screen
>> makes sense because they don’t use any useful features anyway.
>>
> [snipped]
>
> With the greatest of respect, the reply doesn't answer the OP's
> original question. He asked *WHY* F11 now opens "Full Screen Mode"
> instead of "Style and Formatting" under Lucid.
>
> I don't know why, either. There's been a number of changes to the Gnome
> desktop under Lucid that appear to be more due to branding than
> usefulness - take the window controls being moved from right to left.
> Could this be the reason for the change in OpenOffice under Lucid?

I would think it's an OO change, not Ubuntu. Although, it's pretty
standard nowadays in most applications that F11 does full screen.

However, you can change this. In OO, go to Tools->Customize, go to the
keyboard tab, and you can reassign function key mappings.