Old 05-09-2010, 06:18 PM
ssc1478

Default how to encrypt home dir on upgrade

Is it possible to encrypt the home dir using when upgrading to 10.04?
Or is that available only when installing fresh?

I've not found much on google. I've been searching "LVM encryption".

thanks!

Phil

Old 05-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 9 May 2010 19:18, ssc1478 <ssc1478@aim.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to encrypt the home dir using when upgrading to 10.04?
> *Or is that available only when installing fresh?
>
> I've not found much on google. *I've been searching "LVM encryption".
LVM encryption is for the whole volume. That would require rebuilding
the volume.

I found plenty with the "encrypted home ubuntu" search phrase.

http://jacob.hoffman-andrews.com/README/index.php/2009/12/08/howto-encrypt-an-existing-home-directory-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala/

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/02/jaunty-encrypted-home-directories.html

Dustin Kirkland's blog has plenty of excellent notes.

This has good pointers to encrypted volumes.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystems

Old 05-09-2010, 07:46 PM
ssc1478

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 9 May 2010 19:18, ssc1478 <ssc1478@aim.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to encrypt the home dir using when upgrading to 10.04?
>> *Or is that available only when installing fresh?
>>
>> I've not found much on google. *I've been searching "LVM encryption".
> LVM encryption is for the whole volume. That would require rebuilding
> the volume.
>
> I found plenty with the "encrypted home ubuntu" search phrase.
>
> http://jacob.hoffman-andrews.com/README/index.php/2009/12/08/howto-encrypt-an-existing-home-directory-on-ubuntu-karmic-koala/
>
> http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2009/02/jaunty-encrypted-home-directories.html
>
> Dustin Kirkland's blog has plenty of excellent notes.
>
> This has good pointers to encrypted volumes.
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystems

Thanks! These are very helpful!