Old 05-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default 4 GiB RAM Blues

Hi All,
I recently upgraded my RAM from 2x1GiB to 2x2GiB of RAM.
How do I make sure (K)ubuntu recognizes the whole amount?
My Setup:

An HP DX2300 Desktop running Kubuntu 8.04.3 LTS.
I'd like to upgrade to 10.04 LTS, so I have tried both 32Bit and 64 Bit versions of the Kubuntu 10.04.

32Bit: Once loaded, I opened a Konsole window and typed 'top' *- gave my ~3500 total Kb total memory64Bit: Same test gave my ~3200 Kb total memory...
I don't get it.... How can the 64Bit show less?

I told the computer store guy I'll check if it works on my machine and give it back in case it doesn't.
BTW, the motherboard supports 667MHz maximum and the new DIMMs are 800MHz, but it does show a total of 4096MB running @ 667MHz.

Can anyone help me make sure (K)ubuntu uses 4GiB RAM?
Thanks!
.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

Old 05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Henry Dubb

I recently upgraded my RAM from 2x1GiB to 2x2GiB of RAM.
How do I make sure (K)ubuntu recognizes the whole amount?

from Mint KDE edition.
If you have more than 3.5GB of RAM, install the linux-generic-pae kernel for your memory to be fully detected and used by the system.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Jonathan Hudson

On Sun, 9 May 2010 20:35:51 +0300, Amichai Rotman wrote:

>64Bit: Same test gave my ~3200 Kb total memory...
>
>I don't get it.... How can the 64Bit show less?

For 64 bit OS:

It's a BIOS setting, something to do with "memory remapping" or
"memory holes", to do woth how the BIOS maps system or video ROMs or
memory into the address space for 32bit OS (the BIOS cannot know what
you're going to boot). Have a hunt around the BIOS setup, it's a pretty
common problem and the solution is BIOS dependent.

-jh

Old 05-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Jonathan Hudson