Old 05-09-2010, 07:25 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

Default Ubuntu 10.04 forgets some settings…

I am not sure if this is a bug or if I did something wrong, but here
is what I did and what happened:

I had Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted 10:04 but since the Dist Upgrade thing
never worked for me and since I had some issues with 9.10 I did a
fresh install, however keeping my /home partition and all settings
there.

I installed by running the latest version of UNetBootin and select
Ubuntu 10.04 Live there, creating an USB stick.
Restarting my computer, selecting the USB stick to boot into Ubuntu
10.04 Live, then double clicking the Install icon.
Everything went well but I had some issues with my windows, which was
solved when I installed the proprietary display drivers (Nvidia),
CompizFusion settings manager and Emerald etc. My old settings was
then adapted and everything looked as usual.
Then I selected Extra visual effects to get the cube back and some
other stuff that I ”can't live without”.

But something is obviously wrong somewhere, because every time I start
my computer, visual effects are set to ”None” and I have to reselect
”Extra”. As if that was not enough, some of the Compiz Fusion effects
are unselected, like Rotate Cube and 3D windows. Also the number of
desktops are set to 4×1 so I have to reselect 4×4. I have to do all
this every time I start my computer.

I know that visual effects are not as important as cancer research or
saving the world from starvation and sickness, but still they are
there and if they are they should work. Besides I like them and I find
some of the effects pretty useful making my computer live somewhat
easier…

Any suggestions for debugging this problem? I am not a pure beginner –
i had Ubuntu since 7.04, but I am still not much more than a regular
user, using Ubuntu to get things done rather than fiddling with the
system (even if I can fiddle with it a little bit too, but still
learning).

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 05-09-2010, 07:49 AM
Goh Lip

On Sun, 9 May 2010 09:25:46 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure if this is a bug or if I did something wrong, but here
> is what I did and what happened:
>
> I had Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted 10:04 but since the Dist Upgrade thing
> never worked for me and since I had some issues with 9.10 I did a
> fresh install, however keeping my /home partition and all settings
> there.
>
> I installed by running the latest version of UNetBootin and select
> Ubuntu 10.04 Live there, creating an USB stick.
> Restarting my computer, selecting the USB stick to boot into Ubuntu
> 10.04 Live, then double clicking the Install icon.
> Everything went well but I had some issues with my windows, which was
> solved when I installed the proprietary display drivers (Nvidia),
> CompizFusion settings manager and Emerald etc. My old settings was
> then adapted and everything looked as usual.
> Then I selected Extra visual effects to get the cube back and some
> other stuff that I ”can't live without”.
>
> But something is obviously wrong somewhere, because every time I start
> my computer, visual effects are set to ”None” and I have to reselect
> ”Extra”. As if that was not enough, some of the Compiz Fusion effects
> are unselected, like Rotate Cube and 3D windows. Also the number of
> desktops are set to 4×1 so I have to reselect 4×4. I have to do all
> this every time I start my computer.
>
> I know that visual effects are not as important as cancer research or
> saving the world from starvation and sickness, but still they are
> there and if they are they should work. Besides I like them and I find
> some of the effects pretty useful making my computer live somewhat
> easier…
>
> Any suggestions for debugging this problem? I am not a pure beginner –
> i had Ubuntu since 7.04, but I am still not much more than a regular
> user, using Ubuntu to get things done rather than fiddling with the
> system (even if I can fiddle with it a little bit too, but still
> learning).
>
> Regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg

What you are doing is installing a *livecd* installation to your usb
and not a "normal" installation. As for all 'livecd', any additional or
manual applications or settings wont 'stick' and therefore when you
reboot, you will still get the original settings and without any
installed applications.

There are ways to make applications or settings stick by the use of
casper-rw and 'persistent' but not new kernels but I would not
recommend this as a use of the OS.

Instead of repeating (and I am lazy to write out everything again), I
'attach' a message from the lubuntu-list. (some statements are
irrelevant to this issue).

*quote*
I've come across many instances (mainly Ubuntu) of people installing
the OS to the usb and they are actually running the livecd OS. There
are many guides (like penlinux?) and including unetbootin that will
install the livecd at the usb drives.

There is nothing wrong with that, provided people understand it's the
livecd that's running and there are ways to help manually installed
appplications 'stick' like casper-rw and the adding of 'persistent' in
the kernel line. And puppy linux creates a small partition at the hd to
aid that.

However, there are obvious disadvantages; the more serious being newer
kernels will not be able to be installed and several booting issues as
well.

I would highly recommend that should you want Lubuntu be installed to a
usb stick, *and it's perfect for that*, install it like a normal
installation, just that the partition you install to is the usb
partition.

One important thing to watch out is that at the stage where the
installer ask where you want the grub to be installed, please specify
the usb drive and never the mbr. Take particular care of the
designation of that usb drive (sdb, sdc or sdd) before installation and
specify that when asked where grub is to be installed. Note there may
be a warning message that installing other to mbr 'is a BAD IDEA'.
Nevertheless, proceed. (I understand that this message has been
removed, but I cannot verify this). It is a 'BADDER IDEA' to install
grub to mbr when /boot is not in the hard drive.

To use Lubuntu at the usb drive after installation, at most computers,
the keys 'esc', F12', 'F8' will allow you to select the drive to boot
up. Older computers may require you to go to bios to do that. Keep that
in mind when you take your portable Lubuntu usb drive to other
computers.

And at your own desktop computer, update-grub of the desktop OS while
the Lubuntu usb drive is mounted will enable the desktop OS grub to
include your Lubuntu usb drive in the boot menu.

Of course running Lubuntu from a SATA hard drive is faster as usb
transfer speed is slower. But you may be surprised, as I was, how
Lubuntu performs. Ubuntu, Kubuntu ,even the netbook remix, crawls due
to the 'bulk' it must carry. Puppy linux, DSL linux do not have the
'polish' of good fonts, codecs, graphics and just plain 'usability'.

I brought this up as too many people are installing livecd to the usb
drives and I think it's good to set this right especially Lubuntu is
just perfect for this.

Also, I will appreciate any comment, feedback or disagreement.

Regards - Goh Lip

*unquote*

Hope this helps - Goh Lip

Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2010/5/9 Goh Lip <g.lip@gmx.com>:
> On Sun, 9 May 2010 09:25:46 +0200
> Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am not sure if this is a bug or if I did something wrong, but here
>> is what I did and what happened:
>>
>> I had Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted 10:04 but since the Dist Upgrade thing
>> never worked for me and since I had some issues with 9.10 I did a
>> fresh install, however keeping my /home partition and all settings
>> there.
>>
>> I installed by running the latest version of UNetBootin and select
>> Ubuntu 10.04 Live *there, creating an USB stick.
>> Restarting my computer, selecting the USB stick to boot into Ubuntu
>> 10.04 Live, then double clicking the Install icon.
>> Everything went well but I had some issues with my windows, which was
>> solved when I installed the proprietary display drivers (Nvidia),
>> CompizFusion settings manager and Emerald etc. My old settings was
>> then adapted and everything looked as usual.
>> Then I selected Extra visual effects to get the cube back and some
>> other stuff that I ”can't live without”.
>>
>> But something is obviously wrong somewhere, because every time I start
>> my computer, visual effects are set to ”None” and I have to reselect
>> ”Extra”. As if that was not enough, some of the Compiz Fusion effects
>> are unselected, like Rotate Cube and 3D windows. Also the number of
>> desktops are set to 4×1 so I have to reselect 4×4. I have to do all
>> this every time I start my computer.
>>
>> I know that visual effects are not as important as cancer research or
>> saving the world from starvation and sickness, but still they are
>> there and if they are they should work. Besides I like them and I find
>> some of the effects pretty useful making my computer live somewhat
>> easier…
>>
>> Any suggestions for debugging this problem? I am not a pure beginner –
>> i had Ubuntu since 7.04, but I am still not much more than a regular
>> user, using Ubuntu to get things done rather than fiddling with the
>> system (even if I can fiddle with it a little bit too, but still
>> learning).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>
> What you are doing is installing a *livecd* installation to your usb
> and not a "normal" installation. As for all 'livecd', any additional or
> manual applications or settings wont 'stick' and therefore when you
> reboot, you will still get the original settings and without any
> installed applications.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: First I installed the Live version on the
USB, but then I booted to the USB-stick, clicked the Install Icon on
its desktop and installed the REAL version on sda1 (/), sda5 (/boot),
sda6 (/var) and sda7 (swap). I also told the installer that sda8
should be used as /home, but it shouldn't be formatted, since I have a
lot of stuff there that I want to keep.
All these things worked as expected and Ubuntu 10.04 is now installed
on the partitions I mentioned. I installed some extra stuff too and
they are installed and working every time I boot my computer.

In case it matters, my complete ”partition map” looks like this:
sda1: Ubuntu – / – ext4
sda5: Ubuntu – /boot – ext4
sda6: Ubuntu – /var – ext4
sda7: Linux swap
sda8: Ubuntu – /home – ext4
sda9: OpenSUSE – / – ext4
sda10: Empty partition for future experimenting with other distros – ext4

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> There are ways to make applications or settings stick by the use of
> casper-rw and 'persistent' but not new kernels but I would not
> recommend this as a use of the OS.
>
> Instead of repeating (and I am lazy to write out everything again), I
> 'attach' a message from the lubuntu-list. (some statements are
> irrelevant to this issue).
>
> *quote*
> I've come across many instances (mainly Ubuntu) of people installing
> the OS to the usb and they are actually running the livecd OS. There
> are many guides (like penlinux?) and including unetbootin that will
> install the livecd at the usb drives.
>
> There is nothing wrong with that, provided people understand it's the
> livecd that's running and there are ways to help manually installed
> appplications 'stick' like casper-rw and the adding of 'persistent' in
> the kernel line. And puppy linux creates a small partition at the hd to
> aid that.

Well, as I said, I'm not running the Live version.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Goh Lip

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:14:37 +0200
Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe I wasn't clear enough: First I installed the Live version on the
> USB, but then I booted to the USB-stick, clicked the Install Icon on
> its desktop and installed the REAL version on sda1 (/), sda5 (/boot),
> sda6 (/var) and sda7 (swap). I also told the installer that sda8
> should be used as /home, but it shouldn't be formatted, since I have a
> lot of stuff there that I want to keep.
> All these things worked as expected and Ubuntu 10.04 is now installed
> on the partitions I mentioned. I installed some extra stuff too and
> they are installed and working every time I boot my computer.
>
> In case it matters, my complete ”partition map” looks like this:
> sda1: Ubuntu – / – ext4
> sda5: Ubuntu – /boot – ext4
> sda6: Ubuntu – /var – ext4
> sda7: Linux swap
> sda8: Ubuntu – /home – ext4
> sda9: OpenSUSE – / – ext4
> sda10: Empty partition for future experimenting with other distros –
> ext4
>
> Regards

Sorry, my bad.
I don't use compiz, like you said, it's not cancer research or
something like that. So I shall leave you to others to help out.
But it may be good to check out your fstab if all the necessary
partitions are mounted as well; especially if the other settings ,
say, panel settings do not stick as well.

Again, apologies for misunderstanding your message.

Regards, take care - Goh Lip

Old 05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 09:25 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a bug or if I did something wrong, but here
> is what I did and what happened:
>
> I had Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted 10:04 but since the Dist Upgrade thing
> never worked for me and since I had some issues with 9.10 I did a
> fresh install, however keeping my /home partition and all settings
> there.
>
> I installed by running the latest version of UNetBootin and select
> Ubuntu 10.04 Live there, creating an USB stick.
> Restarting my computer, selecting the USB stick to boot into Ubuntu
> 10.04 Live, then double clicking the Install icon.
> Everything went well but I had some issues with my windows, which was
> solved when I installed the proprietary display drivers (Nvidia),
> CompizFusion settings manager and Emerald etc. My old settings was
> then adapted and everything looked as usual.
> Then I selected Extra visual effects to get the cube back and some
> other stuff that I ”can't live without”.
>
> But something is obviously wrong somewhere, because every time I start
> my computer, visual effects are set to ”None” and I have to reselect
> ”Extra”. As if that was not enough, some of the Compiz Fusion effects
> are unselected, like Rotate Cube and 3D windows. Also the number of
> desktops are set to 4×1 so I have to reselect 4×4. I have to do all
> this every time I start my computer.
>
> I know that visual effects are not as important as cancer research or
> saving the world from starvation and sickness, but still they are
> there and if they are they should work. Besides I like them and I find
> some of the effects pretty useful making my computer live somewhat
> easier…
>
> Any suggestions for debugging this problem? I am not a pure beginner –
> i had Ubuntu since 7.04, but I am still not much more than a regular
> user, using Ubuntu to get things done rather than fiddling with the
> system (even if I can fiddle with it a little bit too, but still
> learning).

Maybe not the most elegant solution, however I would backup my data
files that I wanted to keep, and would perform a clean installation
erasing /home.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2010/5/9 Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper@ontelecoms.gr>:
> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 09:25 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>> I am not sure if this is a bug or if I did something wrong, but here
>> is what I did and what happened:
>>
>> I had Ubuntu 9.10 and I wanted 10:04 but since the Dist Upgrade thing
>> never worked for me and since I had some issues with 9.10 I did a
>> fresh install, however keeping my /home partition and all settings
>> there.
>>
>> I installed by running the latest version of UNetBootin and select
>> Ubuntu 10.04 Live *there, creating an USB stick.
>> Restarting my computer, selecting the USB stick to boot into Ubuntu
>> 10.04 Live, then double clicking the Install icon.
>> Everything went well but I had some issues with my windows, which was
>> solved when I installed the proprietary display drivers (Nvidia),
>> CompizFusion settings manager and Emerald etc. My old settings was
>> then adapted and everything looked as usual.
>> Then I selected Extra visual effects to get the cube back and some
>> other stuff that I ”can't live without”.
>>
>> But something is obviously wrong somewhere, because every time I start
>> my computer, visual effects are set to ”None” and I have to reselect
>> ”Extra”. As if that was not enough, some of the Compiz Fusion effects
>> are unselected, like Rotate Cube and 3D windows. Also the number of
>> desktops are set to 4×1 so I have to reselect 4×4. I have to do all
>> this every time I start my computer.
>>
>> I know that visual effects are not as important as cancer research or
>> saving the world from starvation and sickness, but still they are
>> there and if they are they should work. Besides I like them and I find
>> some of the effects pretty useful making my computer live somewhat
>> easier…
>>
>> Any suggestions for debugging this problem? I am not a pure beginner –
>> i had Ubuntu since 7.04, but I am still not much more than a regular
>> user, using Ubuntu to get things done rather than fiddling with the
>> system (even if I can fiddle with it a little bit too, but still
>> learning).
>

> Maybe not the most elegant solution, however I would backup my data
> files that I wanted to keep, and would perform a clean installation
> erasing /home.

Yes, my plan is to do that if nothing else works. First, however, I am
going to wait a few days for suggestions how to debug this problem,
because I like to learn things. Maybe it's just not possible, I don't
know, but I'll wait and see for a couple of days.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 05-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Regarding compiz, try to erase the directories

~/.compiz

and

~/.config/compiz

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2010/5/9 Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper@ontelecoms.gr>:
> Regarding compiz, try to erase the directories
>
> ~/.compiz
>
> and
>
> ~/.config/compiz

Ok, deleted both of them now. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I
start my computer again.

Thanks.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Henry Dubb

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com> wrote:

2010/5/9 Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper@ontelecoms.gr>:

> Regarding compiz, try to erase the directories

> ~/.compiz

> and

> ~/.config/compiz

Ok, deleted both of them now. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I

start my computer again.

I run Mint 9 rc and noticed this problem was fixed today. Don't *know if it was a Mint or Ubuntu fix.

Thanks.

Johnny Rosenberg

Old 05-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2010/5/9 Johnny Rosenberg <gurus.knugum@gmail.com>:
> 2010/5/9 Ioannis Vranos <cppdeveloper@ontelecoms.gr>:
>> Regarding compiz, try to erase the directories
>>
>> ~/.compiz
>>
>> and
>>
>> ~/.config/compiz
>
> Ok, deleted both of them now. I'll see what happens tomorrow when I
> start my computer again.

No, didn't help.