Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default The best way to disable touchpad in Ubuntu

I just discovered the simplest way to disable Touchpad in Ubuntu,
system-wide:

Uninstall the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/08/2010 07:23 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> I just discovered the simplest way to disable Touchpad in Ubuntu,
> system-wide:
>

> Uninstall the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.

I wish that worked! It's still active and can't find a way to kill it!

Fred

--
"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people,
except for a few public officials." -- George Mason

Old 05-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 13:46 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 07:23 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> > I just discovered the simplest way to disable Touchpad in Ubuntu,
> > system-wide:
> >

> > Uninstall the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
> >

> I wish that worked! It's still active and can't find a way to kill it!

After you removed package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, did you reboot?

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 06:51 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/09/2010 02:38 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>> > I wish that worked! It's still active and can't find a way to kill it!
>>
> After you removed package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, did you reboot?

Sure did.

Fred

Old 05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 14:51 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> > After you removed package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, did you reboot?
> >

> Sure did.

Well it works for me pretty well. Make a search in Synaptic for the word
"touchpad" to see what other related software is installed.

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/09/2010 03:18 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>> > Sure did.
>>

> Well it works for me pretty well. Make a search in Synaptic for the word
> "touchpad" to see what other related software is installed.

Already did that.

Fred

Old 05-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 15:39 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> > Well it works for me pretty well. Make a search in Synaptic for the word
> > "touchpad" to see what other related software is installed.
> >

> Already did that.

Isn't any still installed?

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-09-2010, 08:03 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/09/2010 02:38 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 13:46 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2010 07:23 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>>> I just discovered the simplest way to disable Touchpad in Ubuntu,
>>> system-wide:
>>>

>>> Uninstall the package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
>>>

>> I wish that worked! It's still active and can't find a way to kill it!
>>

> After you removed package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, did you reboot?

Of course.

Fred

Old 05-09-2010, 08:04 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 05/09/2010 03:52 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

>>> Well it works for me pretty well. Make a search in Synaptic for the word
>>> "touchpad" to see what other related software is installed.
>>>

>> Already did that.
>>

> Isn't any still installed?

Nope.....nada, no lib.....nothing.

Fred

Old 05-09-2010, 08:16 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 16:04 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> On 05/09/2010 03:52 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> >> Already did that.
> >>

> > Isn't any still installed?
> >

> Nope.....nada, no lib.....nothing.

I think this is strange.

Try installing gpointing-device-settings, and there disable touchpad.

Does it work even temporarily?

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer