Old 05-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Older Computer and 8.04

On 05/09/2010 04:13 AM, chris wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 15:51 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of
>> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not
>> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.
>>
>> When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all
>> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and
>> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>
>> --
>>
> 10.04, like all Ubuntu new releases, is buggy and released too soon.
> Wait until July for 10.04.1, when the developers have sorted all the
> bugs, and by then it should be stable
> The problem is that the developers insist on releasing a "new" version
> every six months.
>
> This system does not make for stable releases.
>
> Cheers the kiwi

Thanks! That is what is happening :-)

Right now the DVDmovie is working fine. It didn't this morning :-(

I will keep trying and if I need a function not working yet, I will go
back to 8.04 and do it :-D

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Gilles Gravier

It seems 10.04 dropped support for some older hardware.

My old ORINOCO Gold WiFi PC-Cards aren't working anymore.

Gilles.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Graham Todd

On Sun, 09 May 2010 22:13:51 +1200
chris <chevhq@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> 10.04, like all Ubuntu new releases, is buggy and released too soon.
> Wait until July for 10.04.1, when the developers have sorted all the
> bugs, and by then it should be stable
> The problem is that the developers insist on releasing a "new" version
> every six months.
>
> This system does not make for stable releases.
>
> Cheers the kiwi
[snipped]

......unlike Debian, about which the greatest complaints were that it
had a horrible installer and too long a release cycle. Along came
Ubuntu, based on Debian, which cured the installer problem (Debian has
since caught up, and has got a pretty nifty GUI installer now), but
Ubuntu never really solved the release cycle problem, and with a wider
range of architectures supported by Debian it now looks as though
Debian is worth taking a second look at.

The problem with 10.04 is mainly the bugs, but it also suffers from an
attempt at "branding" in which the window controls have been moved from
the right to the left. This is not a bug but deliberate, however at
least one distribution based on Ubuntu has decided to bend to popular
voices (Ultimate Edition 2.6) and move the window controls and
advertise the difference, so making it a point when getting others to
try it. I'm already using UE2.6 because I am disabled user and require
the window controls to be on the left, because of my disability.

If the major bugs that remain (all OS have bugs so we can't eradicate
them entirely) have not been brought under control by July, then I for
one will be seriously looking at Debian (or one of those distributions
based on it using the Gnome desktop such as Parsix).......or stay with
9.10, except that isn't an LTS release.....

--
Graham Todd

Old 05-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Jim Tarvid

Used to be my favorite PCMCIA card because of the external antenna connection. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/259157 is related (and many others). My "Orinoco Gold" cards were model wd-8470 and had an atheros chipset. They worked well with the madwifi drivers until they were updated a few years ago. During that period, the "orinoco" drivers were extended to include the WD-8470 and never worked as well as the older madwifi.

Recently, I have been using TP-Link USB radios but the v2 of these devices don't work either.* I pried the broadcom radio out of my laptop and installed an Intel and have been more or less happy ever since. The little Ubiquiti NanoStation Locos work well as does my older Buffalo with DD-WRT. I have a couple of PicoStations on order.

My guess is that hal and dbus are working against you. If I were motivated to get the WD-8470 working with Lucid (which I am not) I would look into getting the madwifi drivers.

Jim

It seems 10.04 dropped support for some older hardware.

My old ORINOCO Gold WiFi PC-Cards aren't working anymore.

Gilles.

On 08/05/2010 23:51, Karl Larsen wrote:

> * * *I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of

> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not

> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.

> * * *When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all

> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and

> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?

> 73 Karl

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
Galax, Virginia
http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net
http://crossleft.org

Old 05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

Well, yes, the external plug, with car roof-mounted antena for war
driving (which in those days yielded useful results)...

I didn't try madwifi. I tried ndiswrappers but they don't work with the
ORINOCO (they do work on another machine, my EeePC 900).

So I'm sort of stuck for now...

Gilles.

Used to be my favorite PCMCIA card because of the external
antenna connection. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/259157
is related (and many others). My "Orinoco Gold" cards were model
wd-8470 and had an atheros chipset. They worked well with the madwifi
drivers until they were updated a few years ago. During that period,
the "orinoco" drivers were extended to include the WD-8470 and never
worked as well as the older madwifi.

Recently, I have been using TP-Link USB radios but the v2 of these
devices don't work either.* I pried the broadcom radio out of my laptop
and installed an Intel and have been more or less happy ever since. The
little Ubiquiti NanoStation Locos work well as does my older Buffalo
with DD-WRT. I have a couple of PicoStations on order.

My guess is that hal and dbus are working against you. If I were
motivated to get the WD-8470 working with Lucid (which I am not) I
would look into getting the madwifi drivers.

Jim

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Gilles
10.04 dropped support for some older hardware.

My old ORINOCO Gold WiFi PC-Cards aren't working anymore.

Gilles.

On 08/05/2010 23:51, Karl Larsen wrote:

> * * *I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older
replacement of

> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are
not

> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.

> * * *When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all

> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04
and

> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware
for 10.04?

> 73 Karl

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA

Galax, Virginia

http://ls.net

http://drupal.ls.net

http://crossleft.org

--

Signature Home Chastity

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

Aka-Aki : ggravier || PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Living on Earth is expensive, but it
does include a free trip around the sun."

Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM
NoOp

On 05/09/2010 11:37 AM, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Well, yes, the external plug, with car roof-mounted antena for war
> driving (which in those days yielded useful results)...
>
> I didn't try madwifi. I tried ndiswrappers but they don't work with the
> ORINOCO (they do work on another machine, my EeePC 900).
>
> So I'm sort of stuck for now...
>
> Gilles.

Have a look through here to see if you can spot a similar report:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=lucid+%2BORINOCO&field.actions. search=Search>