Old 05-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Older Computer and 8.04

I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of
the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not
working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.

When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all
these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and
the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2010, 10:06 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2010 02:51 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of
> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not
> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.
>
> When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all
> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and
> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?

I doubt it. Unless it's as old as you :-)

I've got it running just fine on this old clunker:
*-cpu
product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 4
bus info: cpu@0
version: 15.2.4
slot: J2E1
size: 1600MHz
capacity: 1700MHz
width: 32 bits
clock: 100MHz

Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2010 03:06 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/08/2010 02:51 PM, Karl Larsen wrote:
>>
>> I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of
>> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not
>> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.
>>
>> When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all
>> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and
>> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?
>
> I doubt it. Unless it's as old as you :-)
>
> I've got it running just fine on this old clunker:
> *-cpu
> product: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz
> vendor: Intel Corp.
> physical id: 4
> bus info: cpu@0
> version: 15.2.4
> slot: J2E1
> size: 1600MHz
> capacity: 1700MHz
> width: 32 bits
> clock: 100MHz

I should add that the bios on that machine (fully updated is 2003):
version: HV84510A.86A.0050.P15.0305252001 (05/25/2003)

Check your logs for the bits that aren't working on 10.04 (dmesg etc).
You'll probably find clues there.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Jim Tarvid

Two years ago, there was little faith in the detection of optimal UDMA modes, especially for optical devices. A little like the evolution of ACPI and APIC 10 years ago, kernel maintainers became more aggressive and marginal cases started to fail. I went through the process with a DVD drive until I replaced the data cable.

Odd that systems fail when certain technologies start to work.

Jim

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 6:13 AM, chris <chevhq@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 15:51 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

> I have a DVD/CD device, USB port devices and a older replacement of

> the floppy disk space with a multi memory stick reader. These are not

> working reliably on 10.04 and I have been testing to see why.

> * * *When I gave up and tried version 8.04 I was surprised that all

> these devices are working fine on this version. Went back to 10.04 and

> the same problems. It looks as if I might need a newer hardware for 10.04?

> 73 Karl

> --

10.04, like all Ubuntu new releases, is buggy and released too soon.

Wait until July for 10.04.1, when the developers have sorted all the

bugs, and by then it should be stable

The problem is that the developers insist on releasing a "new" version

every six months.

This system does not make for stable releases.

Cheers the kiwi

Rev. Jim Tarvid, PCA
Galax, Virginia
http://ls.net