Old 05-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Edgars Šmits

Default Help! Problems with 10.04 update

I installed 10.04 as a new install on my new laptop hard drive a few
weeks ago, worked fine after sorting my video drivers out, then after
today's updates I can no longer use my system - boots, black screen,
then corrupt screen (vertical lines). I can still log in and see my
hard drive lights respond, but I'm working in the dark. I know that as
part of today's updates there was something to do with Grub (as I
recall - I was preoccupied - I know, I know - didn't pay attention to
what was going on, just accepted it). Luckily I can still boot into
the laptop using my old 9.04 install on a USB drive, so I can at least
write this email and mount my new home directory.

1) How can I, booting from the USB, clean up my system - either get it
to automatically boot into an older kernel prior to today's update,
edit grub etc. For some reason nothing I do at boot (esc, tab etc)
will bring up my grub screen to let me choose a previous kernel which
might work. Assume I am an idiot (which I am) - no idea is too stupid.

2) during the beta phase I had a similar problem and there was some
discussion about Radeon cards in the list, a bug was filed etc. etc.
Has anything been fixed yet for this bug?

Dell Inspiron 1501
ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

Hoping someone can help me

ED

--
R.U. Sirius: I used to take a lot of acid. Now I'm older, I take a lot
of antacid.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2010 11:54 AM, Edgars ┼*mits wrote:
> I installed 10.04 as a new install on my new laptop hard drive a few
> weeks ago, worked fine after sorting my video drivers out, then after
> today's updates I can no longer use my system - boots, black screen,
> then corrupt screen (vertical lines). I can still log in and see my
> hard drive lights respond, but I'm working in the dark. I know that as
> part of today's updates there was something to do with Grub (as I
> recall - I was preoccupied - I know, I know - didn't pay attention to
> what was going on, just accepted it). Luckily I can still boot into
> the laptop using my old 9.04 install on a USB drive, so I can at least
> write this email and mount my new home directory.
>
> 1) How can I, booting from the USB, clean up my system - either get it
> to automatically boot into an older kernel prior to today's update,
> edit grub etc. For some reason nothing I do at boot (esc, tab etc)
> will bring up my grub screen to let me choose a previous kernel which
> might work. Assume I am an idiot (which I am) - no idea is too stupid.

Reinstall grub from a liveCD:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2
[Reinstalling from LiveCD]

> 2) during the beta phase I had a similar problem and there was some
> discussion about Radeon cards in the list, a bug was filed etc. etc.
> Has anything been fixed yet for this bug?
>
> Dell Inspiron 1501
> ATI Radeon Xpress 200M

https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=lucid+%2BATI+Radeon+Xpress+200M
Maybe:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/509273?comments=all>
[[Lucid] Radeon Xpress 200M needs PCI quirk to fix or disable MSI]
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting
might be of use?