Old 05-08-2010, 06:29 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Default Stability of ext4

Hi all,

The first Ubuntu support for ext4 was with Ubuntu 9.04. However it was
problematic, ext4 was easily losing data.

In 9.10 ext4 looks stable. However AFAIK there were issues when
migrating to Ubuntu 9.10 from Ubuntu 9.04 ext4 partitions.

So, now I consider ext4 to be stable for stand alone installations,
however I am concerned whether ext4 is still "under development", and
about its implementation to be changed in the future.

My question is this. Can I be sure that an ext4 partition made with the
default options under 9.10, will be portable in the future among
different versions of Ubuntu and among different Linux distributions?

Thanks,

--
Ioannis Vranos

C95 / C++03 Software Developer

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Liam Proven

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<cppdeveloper@ontelecoms.gr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> The first Ubuntu support for ext4 was with Ubuntu 9.04. However it was
> problematic, ext4 was easily losing data.
>
> In 9.10 ext4 looks stable. However AFAIK there were issues when
> migrating to Ubuntu 9.10 from Ubuntu 9.04 ext4 partitions.
>

> So, now I consider ext4 to be stable for stand alone installations,
> however I am concerned whether ext4 is still "under development", and
> about its implementation to be changed in the future.
>

> My question is this. Can I be sure that an ext4 partition made with the
> default options under 9.10, will be portable in the future among
> different versions of Ubuntu and among different Linux distributions?

It's a filesystem, not anything directly to do with the distribution
/per se./ So long as you have a recent enough kernel version to
support the FS and it's either compiled in or available as a module,
yes, it will work.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 05-09-2010, 07:08 PM
sam tygier

On 08/05/10 19:29, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> My question is this. Can I be sure that an ext4 partition made with the
> default options under 9.10, will be portable in the future among
> different versions of Ubuntu and among different Linux distributions?

ext4 has been marked 'stable' since 2008 so the on disk format will not change. ext4 partition you make now will be readable by any future linux kernel (until ext4 is considered obsolete). modern linux still reads back to ext2 (does anyone know about original ext?).

if new features were added that would change the format i imagine it would be called ext5, and have a migration path. though this is unlikely as focus is currently on BTRFS.

sam

Old 05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/09/2010 01:08 PM, sam tygier wrote:
> On 08/05/10 19:29, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
>> My question is this. Can I be sure that an ext4 partition made with the
>> default options under 9.10, will be portable in the future among
>> different versions of Ubuntu and among different Linux distributions?

I can say it will work fine with Version 10.04 and that it is a
problem if your using 8.04.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI