Old 05-08-2010, 03:24 PM
arshad

Default good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu

hi,
can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
the default brasero sucks.
iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
creating check sum.

thanks.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:30 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 8 May 2010, arshad wrote:

> hi,
> can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
> the default brasero sucks.
> iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
> creating check sum.

i burned all of my 10.04 cds and dvds using brasero, no problem.
you could try k3b, which i used for years under fedora without
incident.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Colin Law

On 8 May 2010 16:24, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
> can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
> the default brasero sucks.
> iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
> creating check sum.

I have never had the slightest problem with brasero. Do you mean that
it stops when creating the checksum after the burn operation? If so
I wonder whether either you have a hardware issue or the CDs are
rubbish or possibly you have specified too high a burn speed for the
CDs. You could try burning at minimum speed and see what happens.

Colin

Old 05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/08/2010 09:24 AM, arshad wrote:
> hi,
> can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
> the default brasero sucks.
> iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
> creating check sum.
>
> thanks.

Use $sudo aptitude install k3b

It is VERY big but is VERY GOOD!!

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
arshad

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:40 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
> On 8 May 2010 16:24, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi,
> > can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
> > the default brasero sucks.
> > iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
> > creating check sum.
>
> I have never had the slightest problem with brasero. Do you mean that
> it stops when creating the checksum after the burn operation? If so
> I wonder whether either you have a hardware issue or the CDs are
> rubbish or possibly you have specified too high a burn speed for the
> CDs. You could try burning at minimum speed and see what happens.
>
> Colin

yes it stops when creating checksum after the burn operation. i don't
have any hardware issue nor the cds are rubbish. but i didn't specify
any burning speed at the start. just let the default values go.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Colin Law

On 8 May 2010 16:47, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:40 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 8 May 2010 16:24, arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > hi,
>> > can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
>> > the default brasero sucks.
>> > iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
>> > creating check sum.
>>
>> I have never had the slightest problem with brasero. *Do you mean that
>> it stops when creating the checksum after the burn operation? * If so
>> I wonder whether either you have a hardware issue or the CDs are
>> rubbish or possibly you have specified too high a burn speed for the
>> CDs. *You could try burning at minimum speed and see what happens.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> yes it stops when creating checksum after the burn operation. i don't
> have any hardware issue nor the cds are rubbish. but i didn't specify
> any burning speed at the start. just let the default values go.

So are you going to try it at minimum speed?

How do you know you do not have a hardware issue?

Colin

Old 05-08-2010, 03:57 PM
arshad

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 16:51 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> So are you going to try it at minimum speed?
>
> How do you know you do not have a hardware issue?
>
> Colin

i can burn disks in windows without any probs.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2010 08:24 AM, arshad wrote:
> hi,
> can anyone recommend me a good cd/dvd burner for ubuntu?
> the default brasero sucks.
> iv ruined two cds trying to burn lucid. it stops short of finishing
> creating check sum.
>
> thanks.

+1 for k3b
However, I've not had any issues when burning and iso to CD w/brasero.

As for your problem:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/brasero?field.searchtext=checksum&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
Have a look through there & see if you can spot the same issue. If not,
please file a new bug report.

And in all fairness:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/k3b

Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Graham Todd

On Sat, 08 May 2010 21:17:43 +0530
arshad <arshad3m@gmail.com> uttered these words:

> > I have never had the slightest problem with brasero. Do you mean
> > that it stops when creating the checksum after the burn
> > operation? If so I wonder whether either you have a hardware
> > issue or the CDs are rubbish or possibly you have specified too
> > high a burn speed for the CDs. You could try burning at minimum
> > speed and see what happens.

> yes it stops when creating checksum after the burn operation. i don't
> have any hardware issue nor the cds are rubbish. but i didn't specify
> any burning speed at the start. just let the default values go.
[snipped]

Specifically within those general burners for the Ubuntu/Gnome
desktop, I get along best with Gnomebaker, which has (almost) the same
GUI as the early K3B. If you are using KDE, K3B is by far the best to
use, but you might not have higher enough spec for your equipment to
use it to the best advantage.

You might like to take a look at X-CD-Roast as well.

--
Graham Todd