Old 05-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Default How to configure Startup programs to open in background?

Hi,

I have added some programs like skype, transmission, and eclipse as startup applications. When i start my laptop they executed upfront and They are shown to screen.

Does there exists any way by which i can customize this behavior and guide these startup application to start in Back ground?

Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Old 05-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Hi,

There is no any taker for this question? Please give me some ideas whether it is possible or not.

Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

> Vijay Shanker Dubey <vijay.shad@gmail.com> :
> There is no any taker for this question? Please give me some ideas
> whether it is possible or not.

Give a try on the command line:
$ firefox &

+261 3456 000 19

Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Hi,

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby <mihamina@gulfsat.mg> wrote:

> Vijay Shanker Dubey <vijay.shad@gmail.com> :

> There is no any taker for this question? Please give me some ideas

> whether it is possible or not.

Give a try on the command line:

*$ firefox &

I knew this. But it will not work in my case. What I want is to start these application minimized where as this command starts the process in background when working on a terminal.

*
--

* * * Architecte Informatique chez Blueline/Gulfsat:

* *Administration Systeme, Recherche & Developpement

Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Thomas Kaiser

On 05/11/2010 12:46 PM,Vijay Shanker Dubey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is no any taker for this question? Please give me some ideas
> whether it is possible or not.
>

> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker Dubey
>

> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Vijay Shanker Dubey
> <vijay.shad@gmail.com <mailto:vijay.shad@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have added some programs like skype, transmission, and eclipse
> as startup applications. When i start my laptop they executed
> upfront and They are shown to screen.
>
> Does there exists any way by which i can customize this behavior
> and guide these startup application to start in Back ground?
>

> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker Dubey

You might use devilspie (install via Synaptic or apt) with this
S-expressions:
(if (is (application_name) "Firefox") (minimize))
for example.

More Info:
http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
or in the Readme and MAN pages after installation.

Thomas

Old 05-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Hi Thomas,

It seems okay to me. I am installing it.

Thanks.