Old 05-08-2010, 01:16 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how to map a missing file to its containing package?

once again, from a newbie perspective, i'm just trying to map my
fedora knowledge to ubuntu. long story short,

* downloaded busybox
* did "make menuconfig" for native configuration
* was immediately told "missing curses.h"

so, trivially, i need to install the appropriate curses-related
development package that contains that header file.

since i have a good handle on how packaging works, it was a simple
matter to run:

$ apt-cache search curses | grep dev

and take a (correct) guess that i wanted libncurses5-dev. but if i'm
not in a position to guess, what is the incantation to map a file to
its (uninstalled) package? thanks.

rday

Web page: http://crashcourse.ca
Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Markus Schönhaber

08.05.2010 15:16, Robert P. J. Day:

> once again, from a newbie perspective, i'm just trying to map my
> fedora knowledge to ubuntu. long story short,
>
> * downloaded busybox
> * did "make menuconfig" for native configuration
> * was immediately told "missing curses.h"
>
> so, trivially, i need to install the appropriate curses-related
> development package that contains that header file.
>
> since i have a good handle on how packaging works, it was a simple
> matter to run:
>
> $ apt-cache search curses | grep dev
>
> and take a (correct) guess that i wanted libncurses5-dev. but if i'm
> not in a position to guess, what is the incantation to map a file to
> its (uninstalled) package? thanks.

Among the possibilities are:
1. Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com and search for the named file in the
"Search the contents of packages" section.
2. Install apt-file.

--
Regards
mks

Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 PM
Basil Chupin

On 08/05/10 23:16, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> once again, from a newbie perspective, i'm just trying to map my
> fedora knowledge to ubuntu. long story short,
>
> * downloaded busybox
> * did "make menuconfig" for native configuration
> * was immediately told "missing curses.h"
>
> so, trivially, i need to install the appropriate curses-related
> development package that contains that header file.
>
> since i have a good handle on how packaging works, it was a simple
> matter to run:
>
> $ apt-cache search curses | grep dev
>
> and take a (correct) guess that i wanted libncurses5-dev. but if i'm
> not in a position to guess, what is the incantation to map a file to
> its (uninstalled) package? thanks.

As a guess, wouldn't the Properties in Synaptic Package Manager give you
this information?

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Galileo Galilei

Old 05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 8 May 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 08.05.2010 15:16, Robert P. J. Day:
> > ... what is the incantation to map a file to its (uninstalled)
> > package? thanks.
>
> Among the possibilities are:
> 1. Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com and search for the named file in the
> "Search the contents of packages" section.
> 2. Install apt-file.

that's the ticket -- apt-file. and BTW, that's sort of thing i was
after when i asked about ubuntu post-install "best practises." a
number of people replied with, "install package X." and while that
might be useful for someone particularly interested in using X, it's
not really what i had in mind -- i was after stuff far more
fundamental. like apt-file, i can see myself using that frequently as
i build up my system.

rday

p.s. in the spirit of an exchange program, here's the incantation
under fedora, in case you ever have need of it:

$ yum whatprovides /usr/include/curses.h
$ yum whatprovides "*/curses.h"

Old 05-08-2010, 02:17 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Sat, 8 May 2010, Basil Chupin wrote:

> On 08/05/10 23:16, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > once again, from a newbie perspective, i'm just trying to map my
> > fedora knowledge to ubuntu. long story short,
> >
> > * downloaded busybox
> > * did "make menuconfig" for native configuration
> > * was immediately told "missing curses.h"
> >
> > so, trivially, i need to install the appropriate curses-related
> > development package that contains that header file.
> >
> > since i have a good handle on how packaging works, it was a simple
> > matter to run:
> >
> > $ apt-cache search curses | grep dev
> >
> > and take a (correct) guess that i wanted libncurses5-dev. but if i'm
> > not in a position to guess, what is the incantation to map a file to
> > its (uninstalled) package? thanks.
> >
> As a guess, wouldn't the Properties in Synaptic Package Manager give you
> this information?

possibly, but as a matter of course, i prefer to learn the
command-line way of doing things so i can apply that to remote
administration via ssh, that sort of thing. and that lets me automate
what i can using shell scripts as well.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:05 PM
NoOp

> On Sat, 8 May 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
>> 08.05.2010 15:16, Robert P. J. Day:
>> > ... what is the incantation to map a file to its (uninstalled)
>> > package? thanks.
>>
>> Among the possibilities are:
>> 1. Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com and search for the named file in the
>> "Search the contents of packages" section.
>> 2. Install apt-file.
>
> that's the ticket -- apt-file. and BTW, that's sort of thing i was
> after when i asked about ubuntu post-install "best practises." a
> number of people replied with, "install package X." and while that
> might be useful for someone particularly interested in using X, it's
> not really what i had in mind -- i was after stuff far more
> fundamental. like apt-file, i can see myself using that frequently as
> i build up my system.
>
> rday
>
> p.s. in the spirit of an exchange program, here's the incantation
> under fedora, in case you ever have need of it:
>
> $ yum whatprovides /usr/include/curses.h
> $ yum whatprovides "*/curses.h"

You might find this of use:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux/RedHatEnterpriseLinuxAndFedora>
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwitchingToUbuntu/FromLinux>

The entire site has both official & community contributed information
for Ubuntu. The search box is a customized google engine, so the same
search methods apply.

https://help.ubuntu.com/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Tom H

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> ** downloaded busybox
> ** did "make menuconfig" for native configuration
> ** was immediately told "missing curses.h"
>
> so, trivially, i need to install the appropriate curses-related
> development package that contains that header file.
>
> *since i have a good handle on how packaging works, it was a simple
> matter to run:
>
> *$ apt-cache search curses | grep dev
>
> and take a (correct) guess that i wanted libncurses5-dev. *but if i'm
> not in a position to guess, what is the incantation to map a file to
> its (uninstalled) package? *thanks.

You need apt-file. Without it, you can only query for files of
packages that are installed - with dpkg (as you would do with "rpm
-q..." on RHEL/Fedora).