Old 05-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Graham Watkins

Default Intermittent loss of network connection problem with Lucid

Good day all,

I've been running Lucid for about a week now and am mostly happy with
its performance. There are a couple of minor niggles that I wonder if
anyone here can advise me on.

1. The network connection occasionally goes down. This generally
happens after a reboot. It is fixable by shutting down the computer and
switching off the modem for a minute or so and then restarting. I would
have suspected my modem but for the fact that it has only started
happening since I installed 10.4 last Saturday.

when the connection is active, ifconfig shows:
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:8c:0d:79:43
inet addr:82.4.159.236 Bcast:82.4.159.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
inet6 addr: fe80::21e:8cff:fe0d:7943/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:1090211 (1.0 MB) TX bytes:271931 (271.9 KB)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0x6000

when the connection is not working I get:
graham@graham-desktop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:79:43
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:20 Base address:0x8000

It would seem that eth0 is a non-existent connection and it doesn't take
a computer genius to see that the problem lies here somewhere. Any
suggestions?

Cheers

Graham

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM
NoOp

On 05/08/2010 05:27 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Good day all,
>
> I've been running Lucid for about a week now and am mostly happy with
> its performance. There are a couple of minor niggles that I wonder if
> anyone here can advise me on.
>
> 1. The network connection occasionally goes down. This generally
> happens after a reboot. It is fixable by shutting down the computer and
> switching off the modem for a minute or so and then restarting. I would
> have suspected my modem but for the fact that it has only started
> happening since I installed 10.4 last Saturday.
>
> when the connection is active, ifconfig shows:
> eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:8c:0d:79:43
> inet addr:82.4.159.236 Bcast:82.4.159.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
> inet6 addr: fe80::21e:8cff:fe0d:7943/64 Scope:Link
> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:1090211 (1.0 MB) TX bytes:271931 (271.9 KB)
> Interrupt:20 Base address:0x6000
>
> when the connection is not working I get:
> graham@graham-desktop:~$ ifconfig
> eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:79:43
> UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
> RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
> Interrupt:20 Base address:0x8000
>

> It would seem that eth0 is a non-existent connection and it doesn't take
> a computer genius to see that the problem lies here somewhere. Any
> suggestions?

First place I'd check is your modem logs. Are you seeing any errors there?

It sounds as if dhclient isn't releasing when your isp issues you a new
lease; next time it goes down try this:

$ sudo dhclient -r
$ sudo dhclient
or
$ sudo dhclient eth1

Then check:
$ sudo ifconfig -a

Note: your seeing the 'eth0' because eth1 hasn't gotten an ip from your
modem - that part is normal.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Tom H

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> $ sudo dhclient -r

This will only work if dhclient was called without arguments.

If dhclient was run with "-pf" or -lf" arguments, you have to include
them in the "dhclient -r" invocation.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM
zongo saiba

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> $ sudo dhclient -r
>
> This will only work if dhclient was called without arguments.
>
> If dhclient was run with "-pf" or -lf" arguments, you have to include
> them in the "dhclient -r" invocation.

I had the exact same issue with 10.0.4 and a Cisco Router. I went from
DHCP to static but to no avail. I suspected my ISP and I installed
just behind the router a WL-330 sitecom (range extender access point);
then my connection got a lot more stable. In two days, I haven't had
any loss of connection being wired or wireless. I cannot say for sure
to this day what is causing the issue. All I know for fact is that
10.04 is not happy when I extend my wireless network wirelessly with
the WL-330. It works perfectly when the WL-330 is connected to the
Cisco Router via Ethernet and then all the clients can connect to the
WL-330 wirelessly. I am really unsure of the issue here, but I have
stablize my network. The ideal situation for me would be to have the
connection to the Cisco Router wireless from the WL-330 but I am
unable to make it work that way. If anyone out there has done it all
help is much appreciated.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
NoOp

On 05/10/2010 02:50 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 5:11 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> $ sudo dhclient -r
>
> This will only work if dhclient was called without arguments.
>
> If dhclient was run with "-pf" or -lf" arguments, you have to include
> them in the "dhclient -r" invocation.

Ah. Wasn't aware of that as:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/en/man8/dhclient.8.html
<quote>
The client normally doesn’t release the current lease as it is not
required by the DHCP protocol. Some cable ISPs require their clients
to notify the server if they wish to release an assigned IP address.
The -r flag explicitly releases the current lease, and once the lease
has been released, the client exits.

If the client is killed by a signal (for example at shutdown or reboot)
it won’t execute the dhclient-script (8) at exit. However if you shut
the client down gracefully with -r or -x it will execute dhclient-
script (8) at shutdown with the specific reason for calling the script
set.
</quote>

doesn't seem to indicate otherwise. Note: not arguing the point, just
trying to understand :-)

Old 05-11-2010, 12:15 AM
NoOp

On 05/10/2010 03:37 AM, zongo saiba wrote:

> I had the exact same issue with 10.0.4 and a Cisco Router. I went from
> DHCP to static but to no avail. I suspected my ISP and I installed
> just behind the router a WL-330 sitecom (range extender access point);
> then my connection got a lot more stable. In two days, I haven't had
> any loss of connection being wired or wireless. I cannot say for sure
> to this day what is causing the issue. All I know for fact is that
> 10.04 is not happy when I extend my wireless network wirelessly with
> the WL-330. It works perfectly when the WL-330 is connected to the
> Cisco Router via Ethernet and then all the clients can connect to the
> WL-330 wirelessly. I am really unsure of the issue here, but I have
> stablize my network. The ideal situation for me would be to have the
> connection to the Cisco Router wireless from the WL-330 but I am
> unable to make it work that way. If anyone out there has done it all
> help is much appreciated.

I experienced something similar while testing this issue. I had the test
machine set to a static IP address & used Network Manager (NM) to reset
to dhcp and test the dhclient commands that I suggested & then monitored
my router (Cisco/Linksys BEFVP41 - wired).

I found that dhclient was going out and requesting a dhcp for the fixed
IP address rather than trying to get a clean IP in the range that the
router was set for (192.168.2.110 - 192.168.2.120). Even cleared the
dhcp assignments from the router w/the routers software, etc., etc. I
finally ended up powering down the router and the test system, waiting
awhile & powering the router back up, then the test system. Since then
the dhcp is working (on both). So I'm not sure if it is the router (it's
quite old & has been a bit flakey since upgrading it's firmware last
year) or dhclient in this case. My guess would be the router, but I have
no such issues getting a dhcp assignment on another system using wicd.
I normally use wicd instead of NM. But given that it's a test machine
I want to keep NM on it for testing. I'll reset to a static & then see
if I can replicate when I get time.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 PM
Frank

hi

I have the same MAC address issue since upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04.

Looks like there is a bug.

Take a look here:

Cheers

Frank

Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 AM
NoOp

Frank wrote:
> hi
>
> I have the same MAC address issue since upgrading from 9.10 to 10.04.
>
> Looks like there is a bug.
>
> Take a look here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/562742

Good catch! Thanks.