Old 05-08-2010, 02:55 AM
Johnneylee Rollins

Default odd computer problem

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> * * I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB memory
> sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working. I got to
> the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It then started
> to work again.
>
> * * Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was not
> in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not like
> it should be.
>
> * * Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No I
> will not shoot myself.

If by wires, you mean the small 2-pin and 5-pin slots in the bottom of
your board, either look at your motherboards info, or simply read the
board.
Which wires? Don't be vague, it doesn't hurt to have full disclosure.
It's a healing process.

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-08-2010, 03:59 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/05/10 12:55, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB memory
>> sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working. I got to
>> the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It then started
>> to work again.
>>
>> Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
>> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was not
>> in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not like
>> it should be.
>>
>> Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No I
>> will not shoot myself.
>>
> If by wires, you mean the small 2-pin and 5-pin slots in the bottom of
> your board, either look at your motherboards info, or simply read the
> board.
> Which wires? Don't be vague, it doesn't hurt to have full disclosure.
> It's a healing process.

I venture the opinion that it is all due to the batteries in the
flashlight going flat.

No other reason for loose wiring and plugs can be contemplated.

Replace the flashlight batteries with a fresh batch and all problems
will disappear.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Galileo Galilei

Old 05-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/07/2010 09:59 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 08/05/10 12:55, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB memory
>>> sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working. I got to
>>> the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It then started
>>> to work again.
>>>
>>> Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
>>> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was not
>>> in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not like
>>> it should be.
>>>
>>> Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No I
>>> will not shoot myself.
>>>

>> If by wires, you mean the small 2-pin and 5-pin slots in the bottom of
>> your board, either look at your motherboards info, or simply read the
>> board.
>> Which wires? Don't be vague, it doesn't hurt to have full disclosure.
>> It's a healing process.
>>

> I venture the opinion that it is all due to the batteries in the
> flashlight going flat.
>
> No other reason for loose wiring and plugs can be contemplated.
>
> Replace the flashlight batteries with a fresh batch and all problems
> will disappear.
>
> BC

The flashlight batteries are recharge type. They last 100 hours. I
will now unplug things until the ones still working work. I have a after
market replacement for the floppy disk that is a multi size camera
memory chip reader. I will start there.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Wendy Galovich

On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:58:22 -0600
Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB
> memory sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working.
> I got to the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It
> then started to work again.
>
> Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was
> not in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not
> like it should be.
>
> Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No
> I will not shoot myself.
>
> 73 Karl

Karl, I must thank you for the entertainment value... I know there must
be *much* more detail than you've given here, but the image this evoked
for me made the sip of coffee I'd just taken come out through my nose.

Seriously, though, how did you determine that it's a hardware problem
and not a software configuration issue?

--
Wendy
Linux user# 503061

Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/07/2010 08:55 PM, Johnneylee Rollins wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB memory
>> sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working. I got to
>> the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It then started
>> to work again.
>>
>> Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
>> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was not
>> in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not like
>> it should be.
>>
>> Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No I
>> will not shoot myself.
>>
> If by wires, you mean the small 2-pin and 5-pin slots in the bottom of
> your board, either look at your motherboards info, or simply read the
> board.
> Which wires? Don't be vague, it doesn't hurt to have full disclosure.
> It's a healing process.
>
> ~SpaceGhost

Amazing. I decided to remove the data cable from devices one at
a time until the others work. I started with the CD/DVD reader because
it was easiest. It fixed the problem on all other things!
So I need a new data cable to this device.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Basil Chupin

On 08/05/10 23:09, Wendy Galovich wrote:
> On Fri, 07 May 2010 15:58:22 -0600
> Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I got the files necessary to see DVD movies and see the USB
>> memory sticks. It worked for some time and then both stopped working.
>> I got to the wires in my computer and moved as many as possible. It
>> then started to work again.
>>
>> Today it stopped and I pulled plugs and replaced them. Then the
>> computer would not even start! I got a flashlight and one plug was
>> not in the socket correctly. The computer started again but still not
>> like it should be.
>>
>> Is this a problem anyone else has had? If so what did you do? No
>> I will not shoot myself.
>>
>> 73 Karl
>>

> Karl, I must thank you for the entertainment value... I know there must
> be *much* more detail than you've given here, but the image this evoked
> for me made the sip of coffee I'd just taken come out through my nose.
>
> Seriously, though, how did you determine that it's a hardware problem
> and not a software configuration issue?

The devil told him.....

BC

Old 05-09-2010, 03:59 AM
"Ed McGuire"

*

wrote:

> >>*****
>
>>>****** I got the files necessary to
see DVD movies and see the USB memory
some time and then both stopped working. I got to
in my computer and moved as many as possible. It then started

>>> to work again.
> >>>

>>>****** Today it stopped and I pulled
plugs and replaced them. Then the
start! I got a flashlight and one plug was not
socket correctly. The computer started again but still not like

>>> it should be.
> >>>

>>>****** Is this a problem anyone else
has had? If so what did you do? No I
myself.

>>>*******
> >> If by
wires, you mean the small 2-pin and 5-pin slots in the bottom of

>> your board, either look at your motherboards info, or simply read
the
> >> board.
> >> Which wires? Don't be vague, it
doesn't hurt to have full disclosure.
> >> It's a healing
process.

> >>*****

> > I venture the opinion that it is all due to the batteries in
the
> > flashlight going flat.
> >
> > No other
reason for loose wiring and plugs can be contemplated.

Replace the flashlight batteries with a fresh batch and all problems

> will disappear.
> >
> > BC
> >

>***
> **** The flashlight
batteries are recharge type. They last 100 hours. I
> will now unplug
things until the ones still working work. I have a after
> market
replacement for the floppy disk that is a multi size camera
> memory chip
reader. I will start there.

--

#450462** http://counter.li.org.