Old 05-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Angus Henderson

Default Ubuntu 9.10 router for xp64

so i have my ubuntu server all set up with a wireless n connection to my isp and a raid 5 disk share

but my windows xp64 dev pc has a belkin wireless n usb with no 64 bit driver and 3 or 4 times a day it drops the connection

so i thought let the ubtuntu server route my xp64 network traffic and dump the belkin usb i have them both on a local wired network

anyone got a link to a post that does something like that ?

my first 2 attempts were a total fail

angvz

Old 05-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Luis Paulo

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Angus Henderson <angvzp0x@gmail.com> wrote:
> so i have my ubuntu server all set up with a wireless n connection to my isp
> and a raid 5 disk share
>
> but my windows xp64 dev pc has a belkin wireless n usb with no 64 bit driver
> and 3 or 4 times a day it drops the connection
>
> so i thought let the ubtuntu server route my xp64 network traffic and dump
> the belkin usb i have them both on a local wired network
>
> anyone got a link to a post that does something like that ?
>
> my first 2 attempts were a total fail
>
> angvz
>
> --

If I understand correctly, you first of all have to connect them with a wire
No kidding, if you have available wired NIC's of both, you may connect
them with a crossover cable or have a switch and connect them both on
it.

For the software part, routing the xp, you may look for "linux
masquerade". As an example
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/ipmasq-background2.1.html

regards
Luis

Old 05-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Liam Proven

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM, Angus Henderson <angvzp0x@gmail.com> wrote:
> so i have my ubuntu server all set up with a wireless n connection to my isp
> and a raid 5 disk share
>
> but my windows xp64 dev pc has a belkin wireless n usb with no 64 bit driver
> and 3 or 4 times a day it drops the connection
>
> so i thought let the ubtuntu server route my xp64 network traffic and dump
> the belkin usb i have them both on a local wired network
>
> anyone got a link to a post that does something like that ?
>
> my first 2 attempts were a total fail

I don't understand what you want to do here.

Can you describe the layout of the network that you want to achieve?

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 05-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Angus Henderson

here is the layout - whats the router table that gets my xp64 to google ?

*********** ubuntu 9.10********************************* windows xp64

* * * * * * * * * * * ** | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** |
*______________|____ * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
*| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** |
wlan0 * ***************** eth0************************ local Area Connection

198.162.15.107 ** 100.100.100.103************** 100.100.100.10 * *

Wireless N router * * * * * * * * * Netgear Switch
192.168.15.1
*|
*|
Cable Modem