Old 05-08-2010, 12:21 AM

Default Firefox Add-ons

I have had a problem with getting add-ons with Firefox 3.6.3 (current)
with the add-on installation or update failing with a Download Error
-228 (download failed). This is occuring on two computers where I
have installed the 10.04 Release candidate. Process is as follows 1)
Find an add-on 2) Click on Install and wait for about 30 seconds or
so. 3) Click Install Now and wait again. Installation times out and
fails with a -228 download error.

What is interesting is that I can go to a Windows machine, put the URL
in the browser and get an immediate download of the .xpi file which I
have been doing but then I have to copy the file over to the Ubuntu
system so that I can install it using open file.

Anybody else seeing this problem or know what is going on? I do see a
lot of reports of the -228 download error in a Google search but none
really current.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 AM
NoOp

On 05/07/2010 05:21 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
> I have had a problem with getting add-ons with Firefox 3.6.3 (current)
> with the add-on installation or update failing with a Download Error
> -228 (download failed). This is occuring on two computers where I
> have installed the 10.04 Release candidate. Process is as follows 1)
> Find an add-on 2) Click on Install and wait for about 30 seconds or
> so. 3) Click Install Now and wait again. Installation times out and
> fails with a -228 download error.
>
> What is interesting is that I can go to a Windows machine, put the URL
> in the browser and get an immediate download of the .xpi file which I
> have been doing but then I have to copy the file over to the Ubuntu
> system so that I can install it using open file.
>
> Anybody else seeing this problem or know what is going on? I do see a
> lot of reports of the -228 download error in a Google search but none
> really current.
>
> Thanks.

I seldom use Firefox (I use SeaMonkey instead), and when I do I use a
mozilla version rather then the "Ubuntu" version (both on Firefox and
SeaMonkey). However, when I test on the Ubuntu version, one of the first
add-on extensions that I uninstall is the 'Ubuntu Firefox Modifications'
extension. For the most part I seldom have issues afterwards.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/ubufox
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubufox/+bugs

Old 05-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Basil Chupin

On 08/05/10 10:50, NoOp wrote:
> On 05/07/2010 05:21 PM, clintin@linuxmail.org wrote:
>
>> I have had a problem with getting add-ons with Firefox 3.6.3 (current)
>> with the add-on installation or update failing with a Download Error
>> -228 (download failed). This is occuring on two computers where I
>> have installed the 10.04 Release candidate. Process is as follows 1)
>> Find an add-on 2) Click on Install and wait for about 30 seconds or
>> so. 3) Click Install Now and wait again. Installation times out and
>> fails with a -228 download error.
>>
>> What is interesting is that I can go to a Windows machine, put the URL
>> in the browser and get an immediate download of the .xpi file which I
>> have been doing but then I have to copy the file over to the Ubuntu
>> system so that I can install it using open file.
>>
>> Anybody else seeing this problem or know what is going on? I do see a
>> lot of reports of the -228 download error in a Google search but none
>> really current.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I seldom use Firefox (I use SeaMonkey instead), and when I do I use a
> mozilla version rather then the "Ubuntu" version (both on Firefox and
> SeaMonkey). However, when I test on the Ubuntu version, one of the first
> add-on extensions that I uninstall is the 'Ubuntu Firefox Modifications'
> extension. For the most part I seldom have issues afterwards.

Thanks for this tip. I removed ubufox and I don't think that it is my
imagination but Firefox now responds much quicker.

BC

--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
Galileo Galilei

Old 11-03-2010, 02:21 PM
R Kimber

I've looked on the Firefox website, but maybe I've overlooked something.

Does anyone know if there's an add-on that will enable me to delete the
browsing history just for the page in a given tab, and not my entire
history?

Basically, when maintaining webpages, I want to be able see a page in its
pristine unvisited form after I've visited the links on it - i.e. I want to
return the a:visited state to the a:link state in a quick and easy manner
without affecting pages in other tabs. Reloading doesn't do it.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Jordon Bedwell

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8686/

> Basically, when maintaining webpages, I want to be able see a page in its
> pristine unvisited form after I've visited the links on it - i.e. I want to
> return the a:visited state to the a:link state in a quick and easy manner
> without affecting pages in other tabs. Reloading doesn't do it.

Scared of the CSS hacks that won't be fixed till FF 4? :P no just
teasing, hope that addon helps you get what you want done. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Jonesy

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:21:37 +0000, R Kimber wrote:
> I've looked on the Firefox website, but maybe I've overlooked something.
>
> Does anyone know if there's an add-on that will enable me to delete the
> browsing history just for the page in a given tab, and not my entire
> history?
>
> Basically, when maintaining webpages, I want to be able see a page in its
> pristine unvisited form after I've visited the links on it - i.e. I want to
> return the a:visited state to the a:link state in a quick and easy manner
> without affecting pages in other tabs.

> Reloading doesn't do it.

Doesn't the old 'trick' of ctl+[SHIFT]+click_reload ignore any local
cache and reload the page anew?

I remember using that technique back before even the old Mozilla 1.7
days. But, then, I can also remember talking with Abraham Lincoln....

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux

Old 11-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Basil Chupin

On 04/11/2010 02:21, R Kimber wrote:
> I've looked on the Firefox website, but maybe I've overlooked something.
>
> Does anyone know if there's an add-on that will enable me to delete the
> browsing history just for the page in a given tab, and not my entire
> history?
>
> Basically, when maintaining webpages, I want to be able see a page in its
> pristine unvisited form after I've visited the links on it - i.e. I want to
> return the a:visited state to the a:link state in a quick and easy manner
> without affecting pages in other tabs. Reloading doesn't do it.
>
> - Richard.

Is this what you are looking for- History>Show All History>Today(double
click to open)>right-click on the website and choose Delete ?

BC

--
Gumperson's Law: The probability of anything happening is in
inverse proportion to its desirability.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:20:16 -0500
Jordon Bedwell wrote:

> > Does anyone know if there's an add-on that will enable me to delete the
> > browsing history just for the page in a given tab, and not my entire
> > history?
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/8686/

Thanks, but that seems to close the tab. Ideally, I just want to refresh
it in the way I mentioned. I'll give it a try and see if I can live with
it.

- Richard

Old 11-03-2010, 11:04 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 20:14:04 +0000 (UTC)
Jonesy wrote:

> Doesn't the old 'trick' of ctl+[SHIFT]+click_reload ignore any local
> cache and reload the page anew?

I tried that, but it doesn't work here.

- Richard

Old 11-03-2010, 11:08 PM
R Kimber

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 10:25:02 +1100
Basil Chupin wrote:

> Is this what you are looking for- History>Show All History>Today(double
> click to open)>right-click on the website and choose Delete ?

Thanks, but that doesn't work

- Richard