Old 05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
Hal Burgiss

Default how to trivially install sendmail to get fetchmail working?

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> so would simply installing sendmail on the ubuntu system, then
> starting it, be sufficient? *i am by no means a sendmail expert -- i
> don't recall if i ever messed with the sendmail config files on my
> fedora system.

I haven't installed the sendmail package on Ubunutu, but have
installed postfix (which includes sendmail compatible binaries), and I
am pretty sure a simple default install would do exactly what you
want. In any case, its simple enough to try the installation and see
if things then work correctly.

If for some reason you wind up having to hand edit the configs, I find
postfix way more sane than sendmail. From a functionality standpoint,
they do pretty much the same things.

--
Hal

Old 05-07-2010, 09:28 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Quoting Hal Burgiss <hal@burgiss.net>:

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>>
>> so would simply installing sendmail on the ubuntu system, then
>> starting it, be sufficient? *i am by no means a sendmail expert -- i
>> don't recall if i ever messed with the sendmail config files on my
>> fedora system.
>>

> I haven't installed the sendmail package on Ubunutu, but have
> installed postfix (which includes sendmail compatible binaries), and I
> am pretty sure a simple default install would do exactly what you
> want. In any case, its simple enough to try the installation and see
> if things then work correctly.
>
> If for some reason you wind up having to hand edit the configs, I find
> postfix way more sane than sendmail. From a functionality standpoint,
> they do pretty much the same things.

ok, i'll give it a shot shortly, thanks.

rday

Old 05-07-2010, 09:38 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Hal Burgiss wrote:

> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > so would simply installing sendmail on the ubuntu system, then
> > starting it, be sufficient? *i am by no means a sendmail expert --
> > i don't recall if i ever messed with the sendmail config files on
> > my fedora system.
>
> I haven't installed the sendmail package on Ubunutu, but have
> installed postfix (which includes sendmail compatible binaries), and
> I am pretty sure a simple default install would do exactly what you
> want. In any case, its simple enough to try the installation and see
> if things then work correctly.
>
> If for some reason you wind up having to hand edit the configs, I
> find postfix way more sane than sendmail. From a functionality
> standpoint, they do pretty much the same things.

and that worked nicely, thanks. now ... what else can i mess up?

rday