Old 05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default how to trivially install sendmail to get fetchmail working?

i *probably* know how to do the following, but i'll ask first to
make sure i don't screw something up royally.

in order to turn my ubuntu 10.04 laptop into my primary system (for
now, at least), i want to copy over what i need from my fedora 12
system to get mail working. i use alpine and fetchmail so, trivially,
i've already (on the ubuntu system):

* installed alpine and fetchmail
* copied over all of:
* .fetchmailrc
* .addressbook and .addressbook.lu
* .pinerc
* mbox
* mail/

however, running fetchmail (as i do on the f12 system) gives me:

....fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [::1/25] failed:
Connection refused.
fetchmail: connection to localhost:smtp [127.0.0.1/25] failed:
Connection refused.
fetchmail: SMTP connect to localhost failed

no surprise there, since sendmail isn't even installed. on the
f12 system, i have:

$ ps -ef | grep sendmail
smmsp 1714 1 0 15:28 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
runner@01:00:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue
root 1717 1 0 15:28 ? 00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
connections

so would simply installing sendmail on the ubuntu system, then
starting it, be sufficient? i am by no means a sendmail expert -- i
don't recall if i ever messed with the sendmail config files on my
fedora system.

rday