Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
Karl Larsen

Default Fixing Grub2

I did it right and now I need to end a bug I wrote saying that
grub2 can only see 9 partitions. It can see /dev/sda13 now and I am on it!

The secret is to use boot_info_script055.sh from sourceforge and
read it. My problem was I could not see this 10.04 at /dev/sda13 because
I had an error in the /boot/grub/ directory. I had both grub1 and grub2
files in this directory. RESULTS.txt showed the problem in clear terms.
Get the script from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/

Run it and then ponder the data it displays. I have the new 10.04 and this 10.04 from updates starting at Alpha1. I could see BOTH grub1 and grub2 control files in the /boot/grub/ directory. It confused grub2 and it did not pick it up. I saw the problem and mounted this partition to my new 10.04 and deleted the grub1 file menu.lst. Then I did

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Now this /dev/sda13 partition is seen and is bootable from the grub list.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Johnneylee Rollins

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 5:44 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * I did it right and now I need to end a bug I wrote saying that
> grub2 can only see 9 partitions. It can see /dev/sda13 now and I am on it!
>
> * * The secret is to use *boot_info_script055.sh from sourceforge and
> read it. My problem was I could not see this 10.04 at /dev/sda13 because
> I had an error in the /boot/grub/ directory. I had both grub1 and grub2
> files in this directory. RESULTS.txt showed the problem in clear terms.
> Get the script from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
>
> Run it and then ponder the data it displays. I have the new 10.04 and this 10.04 from updates starting at Alpha1. I could see BOTH grub1 and grub2 control files in the /boot/grub/ directory. It confused grub2 and it did not pick it up. I saw the problem and mounted this partition to my new 10.04 and deleted the grub1 file menu.lst. Then I did
>
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda
>
> Now this /dev/sda13 partition is seen and is bootable from the grub list.

So, in short, this was a user error for having both grub version
installed to the same place. Not really a bug, afaik.
Good script though. Maybe a feature could be to detect if grub-legacy
is installed properly to play well with grub2?
I'll make sure to keep an eye out on my own install later next week. I
always wait a little while before getting the LTS.

~SpaceGhost

Old 05-08-2010, 12:15 AM
Tom H

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did it right and now I need to end a bug I wrote saying that
> grub2 can only see 9 partitions. It can see /dev/sda13 now and I am on it!
>
> The secret is to use *boot_info_script055.sh from sourceforge and
> read it. My problem was I could not see this 10.04 at /dev/sda13 because
> I had an error in the /boot/grub/ directory. I had both grub1 and grub2
> files in this directory. RESULTS.txt showed the problem in clear terms.
> Get the script from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
>
> Run it and then ponder the data it displays. I have the new 10.04 and this 10.04 from updates starting at Alpha1. I could see BOTH grub1 and grub2 control files in the /boot/grub/ directory. It confused grub2 and it did not pick it up. I saw the problem and mounted this partition to my new 10.04 and deleted the grub1 file menu.lst. Then I did
>
> sudo grub-install /dev/sda
>
> Now this /dev/sda13 partition is seen and is bootable from the grub list.

Glad it is working. I hope that the next time that are told that
filing a bug report is premature, that you will listen.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Karl Larsen

On 05/07/2010 06:15 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I did it right and now I need to end a bug I wrote saying that
>> grub2 can only see 9 partitions. It can see /dev/sda13 now and I am on it!
>>
>> The secret is to use boot_info_script055.sh from sourceforge and
>> read it. My problem was I could not see this 10.04 at /dev/sda13 because
>> I had an error in the /boot/grub/ directory. I had both grub1 and grub2
>> files in this directory. RESULTS.txt showed the problem in clear terms.
>> Get the script from:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
>>
>> Run it and then ponder the data it displays. I have the new 10.04 and this 10.04 from updates starting at Alpha1. I could see BOTH grub1 and grub2 control files in the /boot/grub/ directory. It confused grub2 and it did not pick it up. I saw the problem and mounted this partition to my new 10.04 and deleted the grub1 file menu.lst. Then I did
>>
>> sudo grub-install /dev/sda
>>
>> Now this /dev/sda13 partition is seen and is bootable from the grub list.
>>
> Glad it is working. I hope that the next time that are told that
> filing a bug report is premature, that you will listen.

It was not premature!! It was a fact and still fact. I solved it
before you or anyone else did. I will be able to help the next person.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 05-08-2010, 01:20 AM
Tom H

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/07/2010 06:15 PM, Tom H wrote:
>
>> Glad it is working. I hope that the next time that are told that
>> filing a bug report is premature, that you will listen.
>>
> It was not premature!! It was a fact and still fact. I solved it
> before you or anyone else did. I will be able to help the next person.

LOL

It was a premature filing because it was not a bug but a user error
that no one could possibly have solved, without perhaps asking you to
post the contents of your /boot/grub.

(Need I remind you that I provided you with the link to bootinfoscript!)

Old 05-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Karl Larsen

On 05/07/2010 07:20 PM, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 05/07/2010 06:15 PM, Tom H wrote:
>>

>>> Glad it is working. I hope that the next time that are told that
>>> filing a bug report is premature, that you will listen.
>>>

>> It was not premature!! It was a fact and still fact. I solved it
>> before you or anyone else did. I will be able to help the next person.
>>
> LOL
>
> It was a premature filing because it was not a bug but a user error
> that no one could possibly have solved, without perhaps asking you to
> post the contents of your /boot/grub.
>
> (Need I remind you that I provided you with the link to bootinfoscript!)

Yes you did. And I think there is still a bug here. Grub2 should
not just ignore a partition with both grub1 and grub2 files in the
/boot/grub/ directory. I think it should ignore the grub1 indicator
which is menu.lst and report it as a grub2 system.

What do you think?

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI