Old 05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default fresh install "best practises"?

being relatively new to ubuntu, i'm wondering if there's a best
practises list for what to do after a fresh install. that is, a list
of things people have learned over the ages to do as soon as a new
system comes up that will prevent future recriminations along the
lines of, "darn, i wish i'd done that right after installing."

from my time on fedora, for instance, one of the first things i did
was to enable yum caching of package updates, so if i installed
another system, i had all the updates already downloaded (eh, disk
space is cheap).

another more recent example is that i'm playing with utilities like
etckeeper that track all changes to /etc in your choice of a git or
mercurial or bzr repository.

anyway, you get the idea. i'm not talking about what you read in
the generic install manual. i'm talking about tips and tricks folks
have learned through (sometimes painful) experience. thanks muchly.

rday

Old 05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
user1

> anyway, you get the idea. i'm not talking about what you read in...

I install ubuntu lucid 10.04 using alternate cd.

Then I come to gnome and wait a little and then a window comes asking you
to install proprietary drivers for my nvidia graphics card and driver for
my broadcom 43 wireless system, and I install that using the windows
dialog.

Then I install following packages using synaptic:

dolphin - kde-desktop - kde-standard - kdebase - kdeadmin - kde-full -
leafpad - yakuake - kubuntu-restricted-extras - scrot - gimp - amsn -
cheese - gnome-alsamixer - encfs - filelight - pan - gnumeric - pinfo -
gnupg2 - lynx - mplayer - smplayer - vlc - gxine - audacity - w32codecs -
non-free-codecs - mencoder - googleearth - kgpg - mplayerthumbs -
ffmpegthumbnailer - kallery - webmagick.

Then I use https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 chapter 12.1 to remove
grub2 and install grub (old grub).

If you have only one Operating system you can keep grub2.

Then I log in to kde and use kde mainly, I only use gnome for certain
setups sometimes.

Then I do:

K (lower left corner menu) - System Settings - Appearance - Style - oxygen

Colors - "current"

Windows - "Ozon"

Then I do:

K - Advanced - Dekstop Theme Details - choose desktop theme "Aya"

Then I do:

K menu and open "Software Update" and then I do an update.

Hope this might give a small clue :-)

Old 05-07-2010, 02:34 PM
user1

On Fri, 07 May 2010 14:19:12 +0000, user1 wrote:

>> anyway, you get the idea. i'm not talking about what you read in...
>

> I install ubuntu lucid 10.04 using alternate cd.

Then I also install following add-ons in Firefox:

Firefox - Tools - Add-ons:

googlesharing
Neo diggler
scrapbook 1.3.7
tab buttons 0.2.8
firefoxadkiller 0.87
downloadhelper 4.7.3
ghostery 2.1.1

Old 05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 7 May 2010 14:19:12 +0000 (UTC)
user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:

> Then I install following packages using synaptic:
>
> dolphin - kde-desktop - kde-standard - kdebase - kdeadmin - kde-full

Why on Earth not just (apt-)get Kubuntu-desktop?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Colin Law

On 7 May 2010 15:53, Cybe R. Wizard <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2010 14:19:12 +0000 (UTC)
> user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>
>> Then I install following packages using synaptic:
>>
>> dolphin - kde-desktop - kde-standard - kdebase - kdeadmin - kde-full
>
> Why on Earth not just (apt-)get Kubuntu-desktop?

I think it worth pointing out to the OP that using Kubuntu is not
necessarily something that is deemed to be 'Best Practice'. Many use
it and consider it superior but many do not. It is all a matter of
personal choice.

Colin

Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:12, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I think it worth pointing out to the OP that using Kubuntu is not
> necessarily something that is deemed to be 'Best Practice'. *Many use
> it and consider it superior but many do not. *It is all a matter of
> personal choice.
>
> Colin

True... I prefer GNOME over KDE personally... ;-)

But more importantly, since the topic is Best Practices and not Favorite Apps:

If you even THINK you're going to be doing installs of other distros,
OR if you are ever planning on simply installing fresh every time a
new version comes out, one of THE BEST things you can do is learn to
do manual partitioning.

Create, at a minimum these:

swap ~ 2GB (more or less depending on how much ram you have, but I
never run more than 2GB swap on anything smaller than a server)
/ (your root filesystem, I usually make this about 15
- 20GB to allow room for new apps to be installed and for temp files,
spools and such)
/home - the rest of the free space.

The reason you want a separate home partition is this:

Say you install 10.04 LTS today.
In 6 months you decided you want to do a fresh install of 10.10.

If you have no separate home partition, you'll have to back up all
your /home data, do your install, then restore /home/username.

if you have the separate home partition, all you have to do is
manually partition your new install and tell it to use your existing
/home partition,set the mount point to /home, and DO NOT CHECK THE
FORMAT BOX.

Then, the new OS is installed, and all your data is right there ready to go.

Also, if you like running multiple distros, this can help to... for
example, on my netbook, I have a 100GB /home partition and I have
three 15GB partitions for OSs.

I've currently got CrunchBang (Ubuntu 9.10 based), Ubuntu Netbook
Edition 10.04, and room for one other distro, all using the same home
partition. That way, no matter what distro I boot into, I have all my
personal data on hand without having to mount extra partitions.

For a desktop/laptop/netbook user, that's one of the best suggestions
I can make.

The other TRUE BEST PRACTICE is to have a backup strategy, and it
doesn't matter what OS you run. You NEED to back your data up. Hard
drives go bad. Weird things happen in installers. Who knows.

Find a backup strategy, and stick to it, then even if that /home
partition gets hosed somehow, you'll still have a recent copy of all
your data.

For me, I use a 500GB SATA drive plugged into a SATA - USB adapter. I
just plug that into a USB 2.0 port, do an rsync of the directories I
want to preserve, and then unplug until the next scheduled backup.

Cheers

Jeff

Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Luis Paulo

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> * being relatively new to ubuntu, i'm wondering if there's a best
> practises list for what to do after a fresh install. *that is, a list
> of things people have learned over the ages to do as soon as a new
> system comes up that will prevent future recriminations along the
> lines of, "darn, i wish i'd done that right after installing."
>
> * from my time on fedora, for instance, one of the first things i did
> was to enable yum caching of package updates, so if i installed
> another system, i had all the updates already downloaded (eh, disk
> space is cheap).
>
> * another more recent example is that i'm playing with utilities like
> etckeeper that track all changes to /etc in your choice of a git or
> mercurial or bzr repository.
>
> * anyway, you get the idea. *i'm not talking about what you read in
> the generic install manual. *i'm talking about tips and tricks folks
> have learned through (sometimes painful) experience. *thanks muchly.
>
> rday

"darn, i wish i'd done that right after installing."? Not really

maybe bad choices about partitions, but that's before or while installing
Never the less, good design of your disk(s) may be a best practices
issue. What partitions, size, what filesystem(s), RAID, what raid
level(s), no RAID, /boot or not, lvm or not, etc...
Theres not a best answer for any of it, it depends on the needs. But
isolate /home is always good, I think.

I change the gnome-terminal launcher to something like
gnome-terminal --geometry=120x45+0+0
Not important, but I use it a lot.

Good question, though
Luis

PS: I saw J post now. I'll send this anyway

Old 05-08-2010, 01:58 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Fri, 7 May 2010, user1 wrote:

> On Fri, 07 May 2010 14:19:12 +0000, user1 wrote:
>

>>> anyway, you get the idea. i'm not talking about what you read in...
>>

>> I install ubuntu lucid 10.04 using alternate cd.
>
> Then I also install following add-ons in Firefox:
>
> Firefox - Tools - Add-ons:
>
> googlesharing
> Neo diggler
> scrapbook 1.3.7
> tab buttons 0.2.8
> firefoxadkiller 0.87
> downloadhelper 4.7.3
> ghostery 2.1.1

I don't see NoScript in that list.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 05-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Luis Paulo

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:58 AM, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:

>>> I install ubuntu lucid 10.04 using alternate cd.
>>
>> Then I also install following add-ons in Firefox:
>>
>> Firefox - Tools - Add-ons:
>>
>> googlesharing
>> Neo diggler
>> scrapbook 1.3.7