FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
"M. Fioretti"
 
Default Dual boot doesn't work anymore

Greetings,

A few weeks ago I put an extra hard disk on a friend's computer (who
knows nothing about software of any sort) and installed Ubuntu KK on
it. It was the default system, in dual boot (which worked) with the
Windows install still present on the original drive.

my friend has used Ubuntu since then and is happy with it. One week
later the install, I visited him again and ran a system update.

Yesterday the friend decided to boot Windows for a Windows-only game
or something that is still there and now "dual boot doesn't work
anymore" ( we couldn't talk more about this over the phone and almost
surely won't have time until sunday for reasons irrelevant here).

Sunday I'll go there and try to fix things back to normal. The
question for the list is simply:

which specific Ubuntu documentation, blog posts, whatever I should
read _before_ visiting my friend, so that next sunday I go there with
a clear idea of what could have happened and spend as little time as
possible to fix the problem?

Please note that I am NOT looking for generic, dual boot install
tutorials, I know where those are. Consider that everything was fine,
and broke, even if we didn't realize it immediately, only after an
upgrade. What could it be?

Sorry if this message IS a bit vague, but of course, without the PC in
front of me and no clue of what the error message is...

TIA,
Marco
--
Junior High students in Monza build their own Ubuntu computer
http://stop.zona-m.net/node/106

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Goh Lip
 
Default Dual boot doesn't work anymore

On 05/07/2010 04:27 PM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A few weeks ago I put an extra hard disk on a friend's computer (who
> knows nothing about software of any sort) and installed Ubuntu KK on
> it. It was the default system, in dual boot (which worked) with the
> Windows install still present on the original drive.
>
> my friend has used Ubuntu since then and is happy with it. One week
> later the install, I visited him again and ran a system update.
>
> Yesterday the friend decided to boot Windows for a Windows-only game
> or something that is still there and now "dual boot doesn't work
> anymore" ( we couldn't talk more about this over the phone and almost
> surely won't have time until sunday for reasons irrelevant here).
>
> Sunday I'll go there and try to fix things back to normal. The
> question for the list is simply:
>
> which specific Ubuntu documentation, blog posts, whatever I should
> read _before_ visiting my friend, so that next sunday I go there with
> a clear idea of what could have happened and spend as little time as
> possible to fix the problem?
>
> Please note that I am NOT looking for generic, dual boot install
> tutorials, I know where those are. Consider that everything was fine,
> and broke, even if we didn't realize it immediately, only after an
> upgrade. What could it be?
>
> Sorry if this message IS a bit vague, but of course, without the PC in
> front of me and no clue of what the error message is...
>
> TIA,
> Marco

Please explain "dual boot doesn't work anymore".
If he can still boot into ubuntu (not windows presumably), then all
needs to be done is at a terminal
sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

If, as is likely, he cannot boot into ubuntu, then prepare a grub rescue
cd when you see him on sunday.

To make a grub rescue cd, at terminal (you have grub2?-karmic or later?)
grub-mkrescue anyname.iso {for karmic and earlier}
grub-mkrescue --output=anyname.iso {for lucid}
Burn that image iso file to a cd.


On sunday, at your friend's computer, boot up the cd. At prompt, type

search -f /vmlinuz
Note the output as hd0,x

Then boot into ubuntu by typing
linux (hd0,x)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdax ro {note the sdax too}
initrd (hd0,x)/initrd.img
boot

{note the sdax too}
please substitute (hd0,x) and sdax with output from
"search -f /vmlinuz"
If output is say, hd0,3, then you should type
linux (hd0,3)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd (hd0,3)/initrd.img
boot

When booted, at terminal type
sudo update-grub
sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Marco, try it out at your computer first to boot your ubuntu before
going to your friend's house.

Regards - Goh Lip

If you are up to it,(and it is the better way), you can also do the
following instead...

search --no-floppy --label --set <labelname>
linux /vmlinuz root=LABEL=<labelname> ro
initrd /initrd.img
boot

*or*
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set xxxxxxxxxxx
linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=xxxxxxxx ro
initrd /initrd.img
boot


*not recommended way* (but may work)
set root=(hd0,x)
chainloader +1
boot

*or*
configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM
"M. Fioretti"
 
Default Dual boot doesn't work anymore

On Fri, May 07, 2010 18:55:02 PM +0800, Goh Lip (g.lip@gmx.com) wrote:

> Please explain "dual boot doesn't work anymore".

You are absolutely right, sorry, I should have not forgotten to
explain this. Yes, what happens now is that Ubuntu was set as the
default system, and it still boots and works fine if you don't do
anything.

It's only when he powers up the computer and tries to chose Windows as
the boot option in the grub menu that "it doesn't work anymore",
meaning that nothing happens, he just sees the "black and white" grub
screen frozen, until he gives up and turns power off. What exactly he
meant by frozen screen, ie which messages appear, of course, I'll only know sunday.

THanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll print them up and take them
along!

Marco

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2010, 05:57 PM
NoOp
 
Default Dual boot doesn't work anymore

On 05/07/2010 04:09 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2010 18:55:02 PM +0800, Goh Lip (g.lip@gmx.com) wrote:
>
>> Please explain "dual boot doesn't work anymore".
>
> You are absolutely right, sorry, I should have not forgotten to
> explain this. Yes, what happens now is that Ubuntu was set as the
> default system, and it still boots and works fine if you don't do
> anything.
>
> It's only when he powers up the computer and tries to chose Windows as
> the boot option in the grub menu that "it doesn't work anymore",
> meaning that nothing happens, he just sees the "black and white" grub
> screen frozen, until he gives up and turns power off. What exactly he
> meant by frozen screen, ie which messages appear, of course, I'll only know sunday.
>
> THanks a lot for your suggestions, I'll print them up and take them
> along!
>
> Marco
>

Also read through this bug report.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/496435
[upgrades of the grub-pc package can overwrite wrong MBR]



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM
NoOp
 
Default Dual boot doesn't work anymore

On 05/07/2010 10:57 AM, NoOp wrote:
...
>
> Also read through this bug report.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/496435
> [upgrades of the grub-pc package can overwrite wrong MBR]

Sorry, forgot to add these with may also be worth reviewing:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2?field.searchtext=win7&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
(or change the search to 'windows' for more)



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org