Old 05-07-2010, 02:41 AM
Jim Byrnes

Default Opening a set of apps (solved)

ms wrote:
> On 04/05/10 01:22, NoOp wrote:
>>> Like I mentioned to Chris, my bad. I should have been more clear. I
>>> wasn't looking for a way to launch programs at start up. I would like
>>> to be able to click on a menu entry (or panel launcher) and open and
>>> position a group of programs I use for a specific task.
>
> Don't know about positioning, but for opening, I would just write a dumb
> shell script, make it executable and then linking to it with a
> desktop/menu icon.
>
> Something like:
> ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> program1&
> program2&
> program3&
> ---
> Maybe the desktop manager will take care of remembering the positions.
>
> A bit more convoluted scripting could also allow you to exit them all
> with a single click, too.
>
> cheers,
> m.

Many times the simplest solutions are the best. This worked just great.
The desktop manager put everything where I wanted it. One app, the
terminal, was the wrong size, but a little goolging taught me how to fix
that. If I get some free time I may take a shot at a one click closing
script.

Thanks for the solution, Jim

Old 05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
ms

On 07/05/10 03:41, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> ms wrote:
>>
>> Don't know about positioning, but for opening, I would just write a dumb
>> shell script, make it executable and then linking to it with a
>> desktop/menu icon.

Happy to have helped you. To close 'em all, you probably want to keep
track of the IDs of the processes you open and you want to kill them
with a "gentle" termination signal (i.e. no kill -9).

Unless you're sure you don't want any instance of them open: then you
just have a script like

---
#!/bin/sh

killall program1
killall program2
killall program3
---

and you click it to close 'em all.

A neat thing would be using the *same* icon; this shouldn't be difficult
at all, provided you use a flag like,say,an empty file on /tmp : if file
does not exist, then open stuff and create file ; else, close stuff and
remove file.

What do you think?
cheers,
m.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Jim Byrnes

ms wrote:
> On 07/05/10 03:41, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> ms wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't know about positioning, but for opening, I would just write a dumb
>>> shell script, make it executable and then linking to it with a
>>> desktop/menu icon.
>
> Happy to have helped you. To close 'em all, you probably want to keep
> track of the IDs of the processes you open and you want to kill them
> with a "gentle" termination signal (i.e. no kill -9).
>
> Unless you're sure you don't want any instance of them open: then you
> just have a script like
>
> ---
> #!/bin/sh
>
> killall program1
> killall program2
> killall program3
> ---
>
> and you click it to close 'em all.
>
> A neat thing would be using the *same* icon; this shouldn't be difficult
> at all, provided you use a flag like,say,an empty file on /tmp : if file
> does not exist, then open stuff and create file ; else, close stuff and
> remove file.
>
> What do you think?
> cheers,
> m.

I think I'm really new at scripting and you gave me some interesting
ideas to try out.

Thanks, Jim

>>> Something like:
>>> ---