Old 05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
"Mike A. Leonetti"

Default Agressive memory caching

I have two different Ubuntu virtual servers (the guests) both running in
VMWare. One of the servers is caching over 1.5 GB of memory filling up
the rest of the RAM. The other server is not doing this. Is this
really mainly only depedant on the applications running that the memory
is being cached so high? VMWare keeps complaining that the Guest is
running out of memory. I'm assuming this really isn't the case.

--
Mike A. Leonetti
As warm as green tea

Old 05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Knapp

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Mike A. Leonetti
<mleonetti@evolutionce.com> wrote:
> I have two different Ubuntu virtual servers (the guests) both running in
> VMWare. *One of the servers is caching over 1.5 GB of memory filling up
> the rest of the RAM. *The other server is not doing this. *Is this
> really mainly only depedant on the applications running that the memory
> is being cached so high? *VMWare keeps complaining that the Guest is
> running out of memory. *I'm assuming this really isn't the case.
>
> --
> Mike A. Leonetti

Could this be a program with a memory leak?

--
Douglas E Knapp

Massagen Arbeit in Gelsenkirchen Buer
http://bespin.org/~douglas/tcm/ztab1.htm

Open Source Sci-Fi mmoRPG Game project.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:11 PM
"Mike A. Leonetti"

On 05/07/10 12:41, Knapp wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Mike A. Leonetti
> <mleonetti@evolutionce.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two different Ubuntu virtual servers (the guests) both running in
>> VMWare. One of the servers is caching over 1.5 GB of memory filling up
>> the rest of the RAM. The other server is not doing this. Is this
>> really mainly only depedant on the applications running that the memory
>> is being cached so high? VMWare keeps complaining that the Guest is
>> running out of memory. I'm assuming this really isn't the case.
>>
>> --
>> Mike A. Leonetti
>>
> Could this be a program with a memory leak?

HTOP still shows that the cached memory is "free". Just that it's
cached. Would a memory leak cause this?

Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Hi Mike,
On 7 May 2010 19:11, Mike A. Leonetti <mleonetti@evolutionce.com> wrote:
>>> I have two different Ubuntu virtual servers (the guests) both running in
>>> VMWare. *One of the servers is caching over 1.5 GB of memory filling up
>>> the rest of the RAM. *The other server is not doing this. *Is this
>>> really mainly only depedant on the applications running that the memory
>>> is being cached so high? *VMWare keeps complaining that the Guest is
>>> running out of memory. *I'm assuming this really isn't the case.
>> Could this be a program with a memory leak?
> HTOP still shows that the cached memory is "free". *Just that it's
> cached. *Would a memory leak cause this?
A memory leak would show up as an application consuming more and more
memory, not free.

The "cached" memory is any unusued memory by the applications and as a
result used as a cache by the system. This memory will be presented
back to the application when/if one of them requests. Any used memory
segment not accessed for a while will be swapped out, even if you have
a lot of free memory. This particular behaviour can be tuned by the
swappines kernel parameter (here's an excellent article regarding that
parameter http://lwn.net/Articles/83588/).

My little laptop here has the following:
hakan@photon:~$ free
total used free shared
buffers cached
Mem: 3341004 2505960 835044 0 338488 1100668
-/+ buffers/cache: 1066804 2274200
Swap: 8000328 0 8000328

So out of 3.2GB of RAM I have, 2.5GB is used by various applications,
820MB+ is not used at all and approx 1GB is used by the file system
cache to speed things up. As I access more and more disk data, the
amount of free memory will drop down to a couple of MBs and this will
have no harm as long as I don't start swapping significantly.

If your cached memory increases quite quickly after a restart, this
probably means that you have an application that does plenty of I/O
and free memory has been used for caching this data to speed up the
things.

My little web/samba server here is busy reading and and writing hence
I have only 23MB left free and almost all of the memory used by the
file system cache, as it should be and a tiny bit has been swapped
out:

hakan@jupiter:~$ free
total used free shared
buffers cached
Mem: 1997920 1974000 23920 0 40960 1661440
-/+ buffers/cache: 271600 1726320
Swap: 3229024 344 3228680