Old 05-06-2010, 09:14 PM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Default Ubuntu 10.04 install problem

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Tomasz Kisielewski <tomkis@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to this list. After downloading Ubuntu 10.04 couldn't start
> properly live cd. On black scren was message "signal over range" couldn't do
> anything else then unpower pc. I could hear (couldn't see) that booting live
> cd is going . I couldn't find option to boot it in safe mode, but I am not
> sure if it helped. Any ideas... Graphic card is Nvidia, compaq presario PC,
> trouble running linux...

It seems you are running into some kind of incompatibility with your
video devices, perhaps you could try the alternate CD that that has a
text interface.

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.: 2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Old 05-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Tomasz Kisielewski

Thanks I will give the try, but have no idea whats happen after installation...A bit strange a had this problem with distro which came after hardy heron, the rest of Ubuntus worked fine till now
Tom

Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Tomasz Kisielewski wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to this list. After downloading Ubuntu 10.04 couldn't start
> properly live cd. On black scren was message "signal over range"
> couldn't do anything else then unpower pc. I could hear (couldn't see)
> that booting live cd is going . I couldn't find option to boot it in
> safe mode, but I am not sure if it helped. Any ideas... Graphic card is
> Nvidia, compaq presario PC, trouble running linux...
> Tom

> Get a free e-mail account with Hotmail. Sign-up now.
> <http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/197222280/direct/01/>

The messages indicates that the video-driver is not correctly
configured: mots of the times it indicates that the vertical refresh
frequency of your monitor is out of range, i.e. the driver chosen by the
video control process has chosen a too high range. This happens with
older and/or cheap screens.
As you say that booting continues, you can try to login on a terminal
process by typing pressing ctrl & alt and in the same time F1 (function
key 1).
Hope this helps,
Joep