Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Dotan Cohen

Default What's so heavy? Pegging CPU or memory

How can I log things that peg the CPU or memory? Often I get
several-second lockups (nothing works but the mouse pointer moves) and
I'd like to know the state of the machine at that instant. I could
direct top's output to a file, nice it, and then parse that manually,
but if there is a better way then I'd love to know. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-06-2010, 05:00 PM
stan

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:31:38PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I log things that peg the CPU or memory? Often I get
> several-second lockups (nothing works but the mouse pointer moves) and
> I'd like to know the state of the machine at that instant. I could
> direct top's output to a file, nice it, and then parse that manually,
> but if there is a better way then I'd love to know. Thanks.

Are you certain it's a loadiing issue? Could be something like DNS
problems. That could give you the sort of thing you are mentionong. Use top
to look at system loading, and see if it is not still low, when you have
one of these occurunces.

How can I log things that peg the CPU or memory? Often I get
several-second lockups (nothing works but the mouse pointer moves) and
I'd like to know the state of the machine at that instant. I could
direct top's output to a file, nice it, and then parse that manually,
but if there is a better way then I'd love to know. Thanks.

Install and run GKrellM to keep track of all your
computer functions.

Ross Schoenauer

Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Are you certain it's a loadiing issue? Could be something like DNS
> problems. That could give you the sort of thing you are mentionong. Use top
> to look at system loading, and see if it is not still low, when you have
> one of these occurunces.

I'm not experiencing slow page loads, I am experiencing the whole
system becoming unresponsive. Typing in Konsole, for instance, does
not show for a few second delay.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-06-2010, 05:19 PM
Dotan Cohen

> Install and run GKrellM to keep track of all your computer functions.

Thanks, Ross. Gkrellm does not log system activity. I don't need a
widget to tell me that the system is pegged. I need a log of what is
pegging.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-06-2010, 05:25 PM
Hal Burgiss

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Install and run GKrellM to keep track of all your computer functions.
>>

> Thanks, Ross. Gkrellm does not log system activity. I don't need a
> widget to tell me that the system is pegged. I need a log of what is
> pegging.

You can look at atop. It does do logging.

But I would be include to keep top running in a terminal and when the
system stalls, look to see whats up.

--
Hal

Old 05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Dotan Cohen

> You can look at atop. It does do logging.

Nice! Why doesn't google know about this?!?

> But I would be include to keep top running in a terminal and when the
> system stalls, look to see whats up.

I might do that, too. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How can I log things that peg the CPU or memory? Often I get
> several-second lockups (nothing works but the mouse pointer moves) and
> I'd like to know the state of the machine at that instant. I could
> direct top's output to a file, nice it, and then parse that manually,
> but if there is a better way then I'd love to know. Thanks.

Dotan,
Install the plugin gkrelltop. This gives you constantly the 2 most
active processes in the gkrellm display.
Joep

Old 05-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Dotan Cohen

On 7 May 2010 00:21, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> How can I log things that peg the CPU or memory? Often I get
>> several-second lockups (nothing works but the mouse pointer moves) and
>> I'd like to know the state of the machine at that instant. I could
>> direct top's output to a file, nice it, and then parse that manually,
>> but if there is a better way then I'd love to know. Thanks.
>>
> Dotan,
> Install the plugin gkrelltop. This gives you constantly the 2 most
> active processes in the gkrellm display.
> Joep

Thanks, Joep. It doesn't _log_.

--
Dotan Cohen