-   -   Installing seamless windows with virtualbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/3638-installing-seamless-windows-virtualbox.html)

Caleb Marcus 11-23-2007 03:06 PM

Installing seamless windows with virtualbox

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 11:36 +0100, Alain Muls wrote:

Hi

In a recent issue of Linux Format I read an article about virtualbox and
seamless windows apps in Ubuntu. I would like to try that out, but I
lost the magazine and I cannot find the article on the web.

Has anyone got an URL for this?

mvg/Alain

Here's what you'll need to do.

Download and install the VirtualBox package from here: http://virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
Go to System>Administration>Users and Groups, click Manage Groups, select "vboxusers", go to Properties, and make sure your username is checked off there.
Reboot the computer
Start VirtualBox from Applications>System Tools>VirtualBox or hit Alt-F2 and type VirtualBox (capitalization required.)
Hit New, and proceed through the wizard. It should be pretty self-explanatory, but you can ask me if you have any questions.
Insert your Windows install CD. Select the VM you just created and hit Start. You should see the "Welcome to the First Run Wizard.
Proceed through the wizard. Select CD/DVD-ROM device as your installation media, and check off Host Drive. When you hit Finish, the virtual machine should launch into the Windows installer. Note that if your mouse gets trapped by the VM, just hit the Host Key (normally your right ctrl key) to free it.
Install Windows... this should be pretty self-explanatory.
When you first boot up the system, go to Devices>Install Guest Additions. An installer should pop up inside the virtual machine. If it doesn't, go to My Computer on Windows and see if you see a CD there. If not, you may have to go into the virtual machine settings and manually select the guest additions CD for mounting.
After the system restarts, you should be able to resize the virtual machine like you would resize any other window, as well as use the mouse without manually locking it in. You'll also be able to go seamless by using Machine>Seamless Mode, or Host+L