Old 11-18-2007, 09:43 PM
NoOp

Default VMWare - existing XP Drive

On 11/17/2007 05:08 PM, Hugo Heden wrote:

> Chris Edwards has posted an updated tutorial,
> http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/11/17/install-vmware-server-on-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-updated/
> , including an explanation of why that patching stuff suggested on the
> Wiki is no longer necessary.
>
> Good luck tomorrow :-)
>
> Best regards
>
> Hugo Heden

Thanks... it'll have to wait a few more days. Was just given yet another
discarded school computer last night. They had it in the recycle bin;
Intel D865GBF 2.4Ghz/256Mb/40Gb that 'supposedly was trash'. Wouldn't
boot - reset the battery, booted right up. Added another 256Mb of RAM so
it's now 512Mb, loaded Knoppix, ran chntpw & reset the admin password,
rebooted to find it loaded with WinXPPro, MS Office 2002, etc. Pretty
nice little machine for being tossed in the recycle bin... amazing -
this is the 3rd one that I've found.

I'll of course play with the loaded OS for awhile; pop in the other 40Gb
from the 1.6Ghz they'd tossed that now has Ubuntu on it & then test
w/VMware. Afterwards I'll wipe the school's OS & put my own legal copy
of WinXPP & Win2KP/Server on the second drive for customer testing.

Recycle bin dumpster diving is becoming pretty interesting. I'm thinking
of collecting more of these 'trash' computers that the schools are
tossing, loading Ubuntu on them, and donating them back to the school
district. The embarassment factor just might result in a few school
district IT heads rolling...