Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Workspace Switcher?

Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
how it supposed to work.

1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".

2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
it remains where it is.

Thanks, Jim

Old 03-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Karl Larsen

On 03/22/2010 04:22 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
> how it supposed to work.
>
> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".
>
> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
> it remains where it is.
>
> Thanks, Jim

You will be unhappy to know that Lucid still has those exact
problems. I think when you have 2 or more work spaces they are made from
Workspace 1, the only one there is. The mouse hover has never worked
either. So if a problem it is not fixed on Lucid either.

73 Karl

Old 03-23-2010, 01:33 AM
Andrew Farris

On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 17:22 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
> how it supposed to work.
>
> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".

A side effect of the (gnome devs?) removing the ability to change the
name of a workspace. I believe they intend to do something else with
it... no idea what though.

> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
> it remains where it is.

If you're using compiz, then dragging windows between workspaces using
the workspace switcher doesn't work... turning off compiz will enable
this again. There may be a way to enable it within compiz, but I've
never tried to do it, and a quick search of ccsm's options didnt turn up
anything...

--
Andrew

Old 03-23-2010, 01:39 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

On 03/22/2010 10:33 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-22 at 17:22 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>
>> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
>> how it supposed to work.
>>
>> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
>> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".

This happens in 10.04 as well.
> A side effect of the (gnome devs?) removing the ability to change the
> name of a workspace. I believe they intend to do something else with
> it... no idea what though.
>

>> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
>> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
>> it remains where it is.

Yes.....same in 10.04.
> If you're using compiz, then dragging windows between workspaces using
> the workspace switcher doesn't work... turning off compiz will enable
> this again. There may be a way to enable it within compiz, but I've
> never tried to do it, and a quick search of ccsm's options didnt turn up
> anything...

Same here.

Fred

--
A REVOLUTIONARY IDEA! 'Time to put Nana Pelosi in a home!'

Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 AM

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 22:33, Andrew Farris <flyindragon1@aol.com> wrote:
>> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
>> dragging "what ever app". *I click and drag it to another workspace but
>> it remains where it is.
>
> If you're using compiz, then dragging windows between workspaces using
> the workspace switcher doesn't work... turning off compiz will enable
> this again. There may be a way to enable it within compiz, but I've
> never tried to do it, and a quick search of ccsm's options didnt turn up
> anything...

Though if you're using compiz you can at least enable desktop wall and
drag apps from desktop to desktop (you can drag them around the cube
too)...

I agree though that it's a bit annoying that the switcher doesn't do
what it used to, and I really don't like not being able to rename
desktops...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Markdv

Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
> how it supposed to work.
>
> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".

If you enable "visual-effects"/compiz you only have _one_ workspace.
_One_ workspace that is N times the size of your physical screen.

What we then perceive and use as N "workspaces" are in fact what they
call _viewports_ showing a screen sized part of the single large workspace.

> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
> it remains where it is.

Sadly it only supports dragging between workspaces, and not viewports.
The tooltip should have been disabled when only one workspace exists.
It's useless, annoying and confusing.

To see the most noticeable difference between having multiple workspaces
and a single large one with multiple viewports try to put a window
halfway one and the next workspace/viewport with and without
visual-effects/compiz enabled.

Regargs,
Mark.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Liam Proven

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 9.10. *Either its not working right or I don't understand
> how it supposed to work.
>
> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".
>
> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
> dragging "what ever app". *I click and drag it to another workspace but
> it remains where it is.

Not quite sure what you're trying to do or how, but here is how I use
the virtual desktops:

- To move an app, click its window's system menu (or press Alt-Space);
Next, Pick "move to workspace right" (or left/up/down/whatever)

- To switch workspaces:
Click in the switcher in the panel, or press Ctrl-Alt-Right (or
left/up/down/whatever)

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Jim Byrnes

Markdv wrote:
> Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
>> how it supposed to work.
>>
>> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
>> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".
>
> If you enable "visual-effects"/compiz you only have _one_ workspace.
> _One_ workspace that is N times the size of your physical screen.
>
> What we then perceive and use as N "workspaces" are in fact what they
> call _viewports_ showing a screen sized part of the single large workspace.
>
>> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
>> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
>> it remains where it is.
>
> Sadly it only supports dragging between workspaces, and not viewports.
> The tooltip should have been disabled when only one workspace exists.
> It's useless, annoying and confusing.
>
> To see the most noticeable difference between having multiple workspaces
> and a single large one with multiple viewports try to put a window
> halfway one and the next workspace/viewport with and without
> visual-effects/compiz enabled.
>
> Regargs,
> Mark.

Based on other replies the functionality of Workplace Switcher must have
changed but I haven't been using Ubuntu long enough to know how it used
to operate.

Thanks for the explanation of workspace vs viewports. I read through the
help but didn't see any mention of them.

As to compiz I haven't knowingly turned it on. About the only
customization I have done is to add a couple of viewports and try the
"extra" visual effects on the desktop.

Regards, Jim

Old 03-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Jim Byrnes

Liam Proven wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:22 PM, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
>> Running Ubuntu 9.10. Either its not working right or I don't understand
>> how it supposed to work.
>>
>> 1. I have 6 work spaces setup but whenever I click or hover the mouse
>> over an empty one it always says "Workspace 1".
>>
>> 2. If I hover the mouse over an occupied workspace it says "click to
>> dragging "what ever app". I click and drag it to another workspace but
>> it remains where it is.
>
> Not quite sure what you're trying to do or how, but here is how I use
> the virtual desktops:

See my reply to Markdv for more details, but basically it didn't seem
to work as I expected and was just trying to figure out why.

> - To move an app, click its window's system menu (or press Alt-Space);
> Next, Pick "move to workspace right" (or left/up/down/whatever)
>
> - To switch workspaces:
> Click in the switcher in the panel, or press Ctrl-Alt-Right (or
> left/up/down/whatever)

Regards, Jim

Old 03-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Liam Proven

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> As to compiz I haven't knowingly turned it on. *About the only
> customization I have done is to add a couple of viewports and try the
> "extra" visual effects on the desktop.

That will do it. The program that provides the visual effects is
Compiz. When you turn them on, Compiz replaces the simpler program
with no effects, which is called Metacity.

Both of them are the programs that draw the "chrome" on windows: the
title bars, menu/minimize/maximize/close buttons, the corners & edges
you drag to resize the window, etc.

MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508